What's new

Replacement for Valobra Unscented hard shaving soap?

Hi, now that my usual Valobra Unscented Hard shaving soap has disappeared from the shelves, perhaps to re-emerge in a Proraso guise?, does anyone have any suggestion for a similar unscented hard soap? I usually lather up directly on the soap in the Valobra container, I don’t use a separate bowl, so a similar container would be good as well. Generally I have sensitive skin and based in the UK, very soft water.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Not sure of an unscented soap. Have you looked at Connaught Shaving? They are based in the UK and have plenty of different soaps and creams to choose from. You might find an unscented soap or two there.

I definitely hear you, Valobra unscented has been at the top of my list for my sensitive skin. Very sad that it is discontinued.

If you check a UK-based retailer called Face & Co, they still have Valobra cologne hard puck in stock. I tried a sample, and it has a very mild, pleasant scent and did not bother my face at all, and mine is one of the most sensitive ones! And same superb performance as the unscented version.

If you are looking for a 'tallow-based', unscented, triple-milled soap, it would be very tough to find a comparable. Wickham has an unscented soap, but it it does not contain tallow and performance may not be on par with Valobra.

By the way, I wanted to order the Valobra Cologne hard puck from Face & Co but they do not ship to Canada unless one pays for FedEx or UPS exuberant shipping fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest either Haslinger’s schafmilch or MWF: top-tier performers that smell like ‘soap.’ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not hard soaps. Black Tie Razor Company has a tallow unscented, and MdC but it's non tallow. Tried several samples of Black Tie and own a jar of MdC unscented. Prefer Black Tie. CBLsoap has an unscented Granite. I haven't tried the unscented but the Tonsorial Line is good stuff.

Last edited:
Meissner Tremonia has an unscented "Puristic Style" and also a lightly scented "Pots of Milk".
meissner-tremonia-puristic-style-shaving-soap-refill-95g.jpg
Haslinger Schafmilch is lightly scented (reminds me of hand lotion).

Haslinger Marigold and Honey are fairly light scents.

DR Harris Almond is very lightly scented

Thiers-Issard unscented (not a lot of reviews but supposed to be good)
thiers-issard-shaving-soap-sans-parfum-100g.jpg

Le Pere Lucien Natural Shaving Soap

Martin de Candre "Nature" unscented

Wet Shaving Products has a Rustic Unscented shaving soap. This is an air-cured soap patterned after Martin de Candre, but less expensive.

Green Mountain Soap Company unscented triple milled

My first post, so many thanks for all your very helpful replies. Indeed, it has been a bit of a shock to find that Valbora is no longer available, I have been shaving with it for many years… so an old trusted friend… but hopefully it may emerge from the ashes, phoenix like.

In the meantime there are some excellent suggestions for me to check reviews on, but I expect I will just buy a few pucks and try them out. In particular a few people have recommended Mitchell’s Wool Fat, Meißner & Haslinger so they will be the first.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

My first post, so many thanks for all your very helpful replies. Indeed, it has been a bit of a shock to find that Valbora is no longer available, I have been shaving with it for many years… so an old trusted friend… but hopefully it may emerge from the ashes, phoenix like.

In the meantime there are some excellent suggestions for me to check reviews on, but I expect I will just buy a few pucks and try them out. In particular a few people have recommended Mitchell’s Wool Fat, Meißner & Haslinger so they will be the first.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Great choices!! Enjoy! :a14: :a14: :a14:

Let us know how things work out (PLEASE).

I loved Valobra and soaps within its league.
Have used Cyril R Salter and DR Harris, both with Sodium tallowate as first ingredient and curiously they also got paraffin, like Valobra, so they both are not so post shave first class care feeling , but beside that they are impressive triple milled soaps and their performance during a three passes shave is closed to Valobra. DR Harris new formula is difficult to get cause retail keeps selling old one, starting with Potassiun Tallowate. Not bad, albeit the new one is superb and best.

Mitchell's Wool Fat smells exactly like Haslinger Schafmilch and MWF still has tallow. It's a better buy per oz. to boot. Haslinger blatantly copied MWF IMO and then they yanked the tallow from their entire line.

I suggest either Haslinger’s schafmilch or MWF: top-tier performers that smell like ‘soap.’ :thumbup: :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly, but Haslinger is easier to create a good lather with (less affected by water hardness) than MWF and the Haslinger switch to a tallow-free soap a few years back did not affect the performance of their soaps in the slightest.

I also wouldn’t pay too much attention to any nonsense that Haslinger with their tallow-free Schafsmilch (ewe’s milk) soap “blatantly copied” wool-derived lanolin and tallow-based MWF, as they both arrive at a similar point through the use of different components.
It is true however that pretty much anything MWF is loved for can can also be achieved with Haslinger Schafsmilch soap.

Meissner Tremonina works very well too, but are better known for stronger, quirkier scents.

B.

,,,I also wouldn’t pay too much attention to any nonsense that Haslinger with their tallow-free Schafsmilch (ewe’s milk) soap “blatantly copied” sheep’s lanolin containing, tallow-based MWF, as they both arrive at a similar point through the use of different components...

BS. Schafmilch was a blatant copy. Ray Charles could see that. I say "was" as Haslinger went full "PETA" and now use no tallow.

Have used Cyril R Salter and DR Harris, both with Sodium tallowate as first ingredient and curiously they also got paraffin, like Valobra, so they both are not so post shave first class care feeling , but beside that they are impressive triple milled soaps and their performance during a three passes shave is closed to Valobra. DR Harris new formula is difficult to get cause retail keeps selling old one, starting with Potassiun Tallowate. Not bad, albeit the new one is superb and best.

I only used the Cyril Salter tallow puck and a fine soap it was but it made my face burn and wouldn't be my recommendation for someone with sensitive skin sadly. However it's cheap enough to worth trying though.

IMO, another soap worth checking for sensitive skin and even though it is scented, it's very lightly scented and that's the Speick shaving stick. Lovely mild lather.

It's not a hard soap but Stirling Soaps have a few unscented tallow based soaps that I imagine would be very good for sensitive skin?

Back to the OP, I've used MWF for a bit and I find the lather to be very similar to the Valobra one.

Ever tried D.R. Harris hard soaps? Great stuff and while not as moisturizing as Valobra, every bit as slick and protective. Easiest stuff to lather I have ever used in puck form also. Very nicely, although subtly scented, too. The Almond is barely scented.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ever tried D.R. Harris hard soaps? Great stuff and while not as moisturizing as Valobra, every bit as slick and protective. Easiest stuff to lather I have ever used in puck form also. Very nicely, although subtly scented, too. The Almond is barely scented.
Almost got me wantin' to try it, lol!

Hi, does the new D R Harris soap ingredients list start with " Potassium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate...." ? Thanks!

Some thoughts:
1. Anecdotal, but schafmilch burned me badly. If the op is ultra sensitive/allergic, don’t assume schafmilch is some kind of inert magic bullet for sensitive skin.
2. I have a few of the Valobra hard tub scents and the stick. The fougere, patchouli, stick, and unscented puck all smell identical. Maybe the scent fades over time. Bullgoose still has the cologne and patchouli in stock. I would grab one of those and try it.

Top Bottom