What's new

Replacement for Iridium Super urgently needed!

Gents,

I have extremely sensitive skin around my neck, coupled with a strong but coarse beard. I tried Derby, Merkur, Polsilver and Iridium Super and only the latter gave me an irritation free shave. With any of the others I get razor bumps and painful rash.

The most important thing for me is to get an irritation free shave. I do not care at all for BBS - in fact, I only shave every other day because my skin is very sensitive and my beard grows slowly. I usually do one pass in the neck and two in the face.

When the bumps subside I'm going to try Shark blades. I'm also having a go with a Ever Ready single edge with Gem stainless steel coated blades.

Are there any other blades that you would recommend?

PS: I've only been wetshaving for 6 months. My technique definitely needs improvement, but the fact is, with Iridium Super I had no problems. I have a Merkur Progress and a British Gillette Aristocrat #66.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you what I picked -- Treet Silver Edge Durasharp Classics. I like this blade a lot. I can also suggest Timor.
Hope it helps,
-- Chet

I like the Shark SS (not the SC) and Indian Wilkinson blades. Both are fairly cheap and my Iridium replacements.

Are you using too much pressure to compensate blade sharpness?

You could try another sharp blade (e.g. Feather) and no pressure

Suggest you try the Astra SP. For me they work as well (if not slightly better) than the SIs. I use them regularly in my Mergress.

Thanks to all, I'll try your suggestions.

I'm not applying any pressure at all! The main problem is that the bottom half of the neck has the grain all over the place and usually this area gets very irritated, unless I'm using Iridium.

I did notice that after changing to the British Aristocrat my shaves got a little rougher. I use my Progress at setting 2 and according to the ShaveWiki aggressiveness database, the British Aristocrat is equivalent to 2.66 in the Progress scale...

The yellow 7 o'clocks are made in the same factory that the Iridiums were made in and are supposed to be very similar.

If you have to have Super Iridium's there are blades for sale on ebay for around $6.50 per 10 pack.

I have picked up Iridiums on eBay in the last 24 hours for $21/100 before shipping costs.

There were plenty available, however not long after I bought, they were quickly pulled. I think I may have just gotten my score of the year :thumbup1:

I'm a big Iridium fan, and the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow is treating me pretty well...they're reasonably similar. Shaving.ie has them for ~$50 shipped for 240, so they're pretty affordable, to boot.

I have picked up Iridiums on eBay in the last 24 hours for $21/100 before shipping costs.

There were plenty available, however not long after I bought, they were quickly pulled. I think I may have just gotten my score of the year :thumbup1:

Yes I think you did:sneaky2:

I was constrained by cash, I would have bought many, many more if I had the money in the bank. But alas, I have been spending too much.

Top Bottom