What's new

Repair a chipped blade?

Is there a way to REPAIR a chipped blade, at least to functional use? I don't mean grind it out to make a new profile.

If an otherwise nice blade has a 1/4" chip in it and grinding it out would result in a functional but UGLY blade, is there a way to fill the chipped area, preferably with a similar steel? I suspect welding a matching piece cut out of another already ruined blade would at least ruin the temper and likely warp the blade. Could a piece be epoxied or JB Welded into place and hold securely enough that the razor could still be used? There would probably be a visible line at the join.

And if there is anything that CAN be done, it would have to be something I could do myself, or if it must be done by a professional, at least be affordable. I'm not talking about a museum holding a gala benefit to raise funds to restore King Tut's royal razor.:blush:

Unfortunately I believe the answer to your question is.. no.. it cannot be repaired.

I was afraid of that. I suppose I could fill the void with J.B. Weld so even though it isn't functional the profile would be correct. Although it would still look like crap. I'd probably be further ahead to JBWeld a scavenged piece in. It still wouldn't be serviceable but I'd only have a thin line of weld visible instead of the whole chipped area.:sad:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Doesn't sound good but do you have any pictures?

It may be able to be repaired but it will depend on what size your razor is. But at a 1/4 inch there may be a chance the face may have cracked as well.

Doesn't sound good but do you have any pictures?
You have but to ask, Luc, my man.:001_rolle
proxy.php

The Tuesday blade of this set. I think I'll be ok replacing/repairing the scales, and hopefully cleaning up the blades without losing the etching, but I really doubt I'll find another 80 Tennis in good condition already engraved "Tuesday" on the spine. Worst case: I leave it alone and just don't shave on Tuesday

The only thing you could do with that is to hone it out. I saw that set. There's quite a few that pop up wit either a missing razor or one or two damaged razors so the only option is to do the best with what you have or put in some sort of replacement.

...so the only option is to do the best with what you have or put in some sort of replacement.

:sad:Yeah. I doubt I'm going to find a reasonable replacement. What about my idea of JBWelding in a patch cut from another ruined blade and just treating it as a non-useable one? They say some pretty amazing things about JB Weld, but I'd feel a wee bit anxious shaving with it, just waiting for the patch to fall out and lodge in my cheek.

There must be a cult I can join. One that forbids shaving on Tuesday.:tongue_sm

You have but to ask, Luc, my man.:001_rolle
proxy.php

The Tuesday blade of this set. I think I'll be ok replacing/repairing the scales, and hopefully cleaning up the blades without losing the etching, but I really doubt I'll find another 80 Tennis in good condition already engraved "Tuesday" on the spine. Worst case: I leave it alone and just don't shave on Tuesday

The only thing you can do with that is make a shorty and take off what appears to be almost 3/4 an inch on the end. Granted it will cut into the blade etching, but that can be saved for use.

The question is "is it worth it?"

Top Bottom