What's new

Removing an Omega knot

I am getting an Omega 10049 and if it is too lightweight I plan to fill it with epoxy but I wasn't sure how hard it is to remove the knot cleanly. I've seen some older posts about how they aren't really glued in so I assume they're still pretty easy to get out?

I've never heard about them not really being glued in. What does that even mean?

It will be almost impossible to remove a knot without destroying the handle or the knot

I am getting an Omega 10049 and if it is too lightweight I plan to fill it with epoxy but I wasn't sure how hard it is to remove the knot cleanly. I've seen some older posts about how they aren't really glued in so I assume they're still pretty easy to get out?

You want to remove the knot, fill the handle with epoxy, and reset the original knot? I'm knot sure it is possible.

I did find this, of course proceed at your own risk:

I think getting a Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog brush might be of some interest, it's made by Omega btw. The knot is the same diameter as a 10049, but has a lower loft and the handle is a little heavier than some other Omegas I have (I can't directly compare it to a 10049 though, as I don't have that particular model).

I think I did something like that a little while back. If you can pry the knot ring from the handle....the knot just pulls/pops out. It's not glued in.....just sits in a basket. If you want to remove the knot from the basket.....you will destroy the basket. I didn't want to do that.....so it pushed back in. It was a GFS Wild Hog I did it on as I had a spare.

The knot is in a cup that is glued into the handle. I have removed one from a similar Omega handle years back and was very easy to do. Take the handle and place it in a shallow glass and place it in a pot of water with a couple inches of water in it and place alid on the pot and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes. Use a couple of hand towels and grab the handle in one hand and the knot with the other and twist and pull and it will come apart really easy. It doesn't take much...

This video breaks it down pretty easy...

The knot is in a cup that is glued into the handle. I have removed one from a similar Omega handle years back and was very easy to do. Take the handle and place it in a shallow glass and place it in a pot of water with a couple inches of water in it and place alid on the pot and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes. Use a couple of hand towels and grab the handle in one hand and the knot with the other and twist and pull and it will come apart really easy. It doesn't take much...

This video breaks it down pretty easy...
Very helpful, thank you!

I think I did something like that a little while back. If you can pry the knot ring from the handle....the knot just pulls/pops out. It's not glued in.....just sits in a basket. If you want to remove the knot from the basket.....you will destroy the basket. I didn't want to do that.....so it pushed back in. It was a GFS Wild Hog I did it on as I had a spare.
I would just be removing the knot and cup/basket as one unit, filling the handle, and then gluing the cup back in.

I've never heard about them not really being glued in. What does that even mean?

It will be almost impossible to remove a knot without destroying the handle or the knot
The knot is set into a cup, and the cup is apparently just pressed into the handle. I have seen posts where the brush/cup just falls out or is able to be twisted out without a lot of steaming if any. I have an old Burma-Shave brush that I tried remove the knot from and the knot/cup on that brush was glued in with massive amounts of epoxy so I wanted to make sure the omega knots were still just pressed in and not glued like that. I would like to preserve the brush and if there is a high risk of damaging it, I will just leave it alone.

I would just be removing the knot and cup/basket as one unit, filling the handle, and then gluing the cup back in.
The knot is glued into the cup and requires much more to get it out. I filled the Omega I did way back with washers and quarters to give it some heft but most anything should work for that and its not all that deep anyway.
The knot is set into a cup, and the cup is apparently just pressed into the handle. I have seen posts where the brush/cup just falls out or is able to be twisted out without a lot of steaming if any. I have an old Burma-Shave brush that I tried remove the knot from and the knot/cup on that brush was glued in with massive amounts of epoxy so I wanted to make sure the omega knots were still just pressed in and not glued like that. I would like to preserve the brush and if there is a high risk of damaging it, I will just leave it alone.
I would think if using the steaming method it would be pretty hard to damage the handle at all.

The knot is glued into the cup and requires much more to get it out. I filled the Omega I did way back with washers and quarters to give it some heft but most anything should work for that and its not all that deep anyway.

I would think if using the steaming method it would be pretty hard to damage the handle at all.
Steaming can work or destroy the handle. I tried steaming once and it cracked the handle. I'm guessing the knot swelled up.

With an Omega, it's a $20 brush, so not a huge risk. But there is a chance.

I was unaware Omega used sleeves. I thought only Semogue did that. I wish they used the same collar Semogue does, it looks so good on their brushes.

Steaming can work or destroy the handle. I tried steaming once and it cracked the handle. I'm guessing the knot swelled up.

With an Omega, it's a $20 brush, so not a huge risk. But there is a chance.

I was unaware Omega used sleeves. I thought only Semogue did that. I wish they used the same collar Semogue does, it looks so good on their brushes.
I've seen wooden handles crack and split but never seen a plastic handle, like most Omega's, split from steaming... If done properly the brush is only in the covered pot for about 10-15 minutes but it may not come loose on the 1st try so it will have to go back in a little longer. As to the cup the knots are set in they are very similar between Omega and Semogue. Basically the only difference is the ring on the cup being chrome, gold, or black but they are all plastic.

1711632979108.png

I've seen wooden handles crack and split but never seen a plastic handle, like most Omega's, split from steaming... If done properly the brush is only in the covered pot for about 10-15 minutes but it may not come loose on the 1st try so it will have to go back in a little longer. As to the cup the knots are set in they are very similar between Omega and Semogue. Basically the only difference is the ring on the cup being chrome, gold, or black but they are all plastic.

View attachment 1819504
That's awesome. I don't know why I didn't realize Omega used sleeves. I guess I was basing it in the plastic vs metal and how many of them blend into the color of the handle.

That's awesome. I don't know why I didn't realize Omega used sleeves. I guess I was basing it in the plastic vs metal and how many of them blend into the color of the handle.
Omega doesn't use them in all of their handles but still quite a few. To my knowledge none of the sleeves any of them use is metal, they are all plastic that is just painted and or then chrome or gold plated prior to setting the knot depending on the colorway of the handle.

Top Bottom