What's new

Remembering the late RazoRock MJ-90

This was a DE89 clone with an anodized aluminum head with two base plates and a titanium handle and sold for $40 full price (on sale for only $30 iirc). I got it partly because I thought that was a good deal for the titanium handle and the head was a bonus. RR still makes a version of it, but with a steel handle, I think because their Chinese manufacturer raised the price of the titanium one. Does anyone use this handle with some other head and like the results? It seems to be shorter than the RR "halo" titanium handle, which I like. The RR aluminum head is OK but clearly not the most durable one out there.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I like the handle as well, even if it is "only" stainless steel. It has the same 5mm threads as most other razors, so even if the head is not to your liking, you got something nice.

IIRC the only difference between the old vs the new handle is materials otherwise they are identical. I got the newer version with the stainless steel handle and only the MJ90 A plate, which is not marked with a white A letter as in the beginning when it was sold with two plates. Quite confusing I would say. Still for me the razor was a total disappointment. The so called aggressive plate is actually on par with the DE89. And I wouldn't call that aggressive at all. The handle is good, not exactly my favourite design but still good. Haven't tried it with any other heads.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thanks, I must say I always wonder about these black aluminum heads on stainless polished or chromed handles. Ikon does this a lot as well. Seems to be a fashion I must have missed, I think its to avoid having to polish the aluminum.

IIRC the only difference between the old vs the new handle is materials otherwise they are identical. I got the newer version with the stainless steel handle and only the MJ90 A plate, which is not marked with a white A letter as in the beginning when it was sold with two plates. Quite confusing I would say. Still for me the razor was a total disappointment. The so called aggressive plate is actually on par with the DE89. And I wouldn't call that aggressive at all. The handle is good, not exactly my favourite design but still good. Haven't tried it with any other heads.
Right, it isn't aggressive, more in the "medium mild" range, and very much on par with the DE89, as you say. I'm not sure why you were disappointed, it was exactly what I expected.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The MJ-90 was one of the most mild razors I ever had. I was a huge DE89 fan back then, and was so looking forward to the MJ-90. I was very disapointed when I got it. When they released the A plate, I contacted RR and they sent me one with my next order. Again, I was so excited to have a DE89 that wasnt zamak. Again, so mild I couldnt really use it. And I considered myself a LEMS member back then. But for the record, Italian Barber exhibited amazing customer service in my regard. And they have always provided a great product. This one just didnt work for me at all. But I was, and remain, a Razorock fan and customer.

I know some people love the MJ-90. I eventually got the Occam's DE, which is literally a stainless version of the DE89, with a little more efficiency. That one scratched my itch for a DE89 alternative.

Oh, and yes, I had both versions of the RR titanium halo handle. The long one was 4". I think the shorter one is 3 1/2 iirc. Never got along with the long one and sold it. The short one is excellent and very well balanced. i use it with a British Gillette RFB head, and it rocks with that setup!

The MJ-90 was one of the most mild razors I ever had. I was a huge DE89 fan back then, and was so looking forward to the MJ-90. I was very disapointed when I got it. When they released the A plate, I contacted RR and they sent me one with my next order. Again, I was so excited to have a DE89 that wasnt zamak. Again, so mild I couldnt really use it. And I considered myself a LEMS member back then. But for the record, Italian Barber exhibited amazing customer service in my regard. And they have always provided a great product. This one just didnt work for me at all. But I was, and remain, a Razorock fan and customer.

I know some people love the MJ-90. I eventually got the Occam's DE, which is literally a stainless version of the DE89, with a little more efficiency. That one scratched my itch for a DE89 alternative.

Oh, and yes, I had both versions of the RR titanium halo handle. The long one was 4". I think the shorter one is 3 1/2 iirc. Never got along with the long one and sold it. The short one is excellent and very well balanced. i use it with a British Gillette RFB head, and it rocks with that setup!
Thanks for the tip, though I suspect you prefer far more aggressive razors than I. I saw the MJ-90 as rather mild too, in more or less the same category as the DE89, 34C, Gillette slim on setting 2, and Rockwell 6S with plate R3. For me, all are nice for a good, quick shave without blood or irritation, and each has its own unique 'feel', though all require extra effort to get that last layer of scruff off my jaw and neckline. But I don't understand all the hatred here for mild razors, to me they have their place. Oh well. I do totally agree regarding the shorter titanium handle. And a vintage Gillette head sounds like a good idea, as those generally are very light and should balance well.

Seems logical for RR to make the MJ90 in SS. Maybe one day. For now, the Occam's will have to do. I have an Occam's SB with a Rockwell 6s handle. Looks nice and works well.

Right, it isn't aggressive, more in the "medium mild" range, and very much on par with the DE89, as you say. I'm not sure why you were disappointed, it was exactly what I expected.
I will explain why I was disappointed. When you sell a product that has a plate that is marketed as "A" - aggressive, one would expect it to be more aggressive than a DE89, right? The description of the MJ90 says it is an improved version of the DE89. But actually the A plate is as aggressive as DE89, which means the standard plate is less aggressive. Many users have complained about the hyper mildness of the initial standard plate [not the A one] which was supposed to have the aggressiveness of DE89 here on the forum. I think that's why they stopped manufacturing the standard plate, and now the razor comes with the A plate only, that is actually like DE89. So for me that is misleading marketing. I actually get closer shaves with my 1979 Tech than with the so called A plate. Go figure.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the tip, though I suspect you prefer far more aggressive razors than I.

On the contrary, I mentioned in my post that i was a LEMS member back then. League of Extraordinarily Mild Shavers. So at that time, I was heavily into mild razors. DE89s and Techs, etc. So the MJ-90 was so mild that even I could not get a close enough shave with the A plate, whereas a DE89 did a fine job. Now over the few years that have since passed, a have evolved towards more aggressive razors. I can use a Charcaol Goods Level 3 with zero issues. But not back then. Around the same time as the MJ-90, I had the same issue with the PAA DOC. I could do 5 passes and still not get a reasonable shave. But a DE89 did a good job. As always ymmv.

I will explain why I was disappointed. When you sell a product that has a plate that is marketed as "A" - aggressive, one would expect it to be more aggressive than a DE89, right? The description of the MJ90 says it is an improved version of the DE89. But actually the A plate is as aggressive as DE89, which means the standard plate is less aggressive. Many users have complained about the hyper mildness of the initial standard plate [not the A one] which was supposed to have the aggressiveness of DE89 here on the forum. I think that's why they stopped manufacturing the standard plate, and now the razor comes with the A plate only, that is actually like DE89. So for me that is misleading marketing. I actually get closer shaves with my 1979 Tech than with the so called A plate. Go figure.
It never occurred to me that the "A" stood for "aggressive". As you say, it's more or less like the DE89 or 34C. I did have a different experience than BradWorld, who apparently couldn't use it at all even though he liked the DE89. You do have to buy in to the utralight feel and get used to it. I'm certainly keeping that titanium handle, and seeing what heads it works well with.

The one I have came with the 4" handle, which was/is longer than I like. Would love to have gotten a 3.5" instead (anyone want to trade??)
I also never tried the more "aggressive" baseplate, just the original one which barely did anything to my stubble no matter how many passes.

Any chance you might be able to add some photos?
Hope this is good enough.
20200908_212635.jpg

Do you still have the Mj-90 and Mj-90A set. I saw it in the BST forum for sale but now it's inactive.

I have the current generation RR MJ90A and I like the razor. It seems a tad more efficient than my EJ DE89 and that was what I was hoping for and expecting when I purchased it. At first I did think it was kind of mild but after using it several more times I started to consistently get really good smooth shaves out of it.

Top Bottom