What's new

Recommended product for cold water shaving

Given that cold water isn't overly conducive to making lather, what are some good soaps/creams for cold water shaves?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I shave using only cold water - the colder the better, and I have never had a problem lathering any product. On the occasions when I have used warm or hot water I have not noticed that the same products have lathered any differently. I use mainly triple milled hard soaps these days, but have in the past used creams such as TOBS and all have worked well in cold, warm or hot water.

I cold water shave exclusively and have used the following with no issue
Mike's
Arko stick
Speick stick
Dr. Jon's
Haslinger
Wickhams Soap Co. 1912
Phoenix & Beau
D.R. Harris soaps
Tabac
A&E
Stirling
B&M
TOBS creams
Prorasso creams
and more.

Hell I have used many soaps and creams and never ran across one that wouldn't lather in cold water!

I shave using only cold water - the colder the better, and I have never had a problem lathering any product. On the occasions when I have used warm or hot water I have not noticed that the same products have lathered any differently. I use mainly triple milled hard soaps these days, but have in the past used creams such as TOBS and all have worked well in cold, warm or hot water.
You must have soft water. 'fess up.

Pick your favourite and dial it in. All will work given time and patience.
I always use cold water unless it’s snowing.
MWF
Palmolive stick
Proraso green cream

These three are my top performers all year round.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I doubt water temperature has any effect on the lather or the shave. That’s been my experience, anyway. I always shave right after a shower so that may influence. I’m a summer cold water shaver and winter warm water shaver, and the question never entered my mind.

Top Bottom