What's new

Recommended Fragrances under $40

Deauville pour Homme is a good one in the Caron Third Man/Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree axis. Surprisingly well made and actually quite good when paired with Clubman/Brut/Skin Bracer.

Oscar for Men, 3.0 oz., $39 (Oscar de La Renta has discontinued this, but you can find it on eBay for under $40. When I purchased this, it could be found for under $20, and at that price it was a safe blind buy. And a successful one. It opens with citrus and pepper notes, drying down to a pleasant woodsy base. I don't find it big on a projection or longevity. But Oscar is a classy scent that will get you through the day. I think it would be great for the workplace.)

Hervé Léger Homme, 2.5 oz., $22 (This was an Avon fragrance, discontinued when I tried it some years ago, but a number of bottles are still available in our price range on eBay. It starts off with ginger and yuzu and dries down to an amber, sandalwood base. I didn't replenish this one, but I did enjoy it.)

Tea Rose, 4.0 oz., $14 (Because this is marketed as a women's fragrance, and is a scent that I would associate as being too feminine, I would have passed over this had it not been for two very favorable reviews on the Pour Monsieur and From Pyrgos blogs. I also had enjoyed a now discontinued rose-scented shaving soap from Italian Barber. So I picked up a new 2 oz. bottle with free shipping on eBay for $7.50. I very much like the rose/green scent of Tea Rose. It has surprising projection-it might fool you on your first application--and decent longevity. Give it a try if you like rose, or want to try a rose scent on a low-risk blind buy. I'm glad I did.)

1670824896261.png

When it comes to fragrances in the under $40 range I think the Body Shop EDT’s are worth a look. They may not be classic or overly sophisticated but, they’re reasonably priced, have staying power without being overbearing (especially compared to the Fine EDT I’ve tried) and smell good.

In this new era of post Covid work environments where one is not required to be in the office 5 days a week. I've reduced purchasing Colognes over $50-$75. My favorite under $40 is the Jack Black All-Over Body Spray. If you've used Jack Black soap then you know this scent.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Rosemary, Lime Leaf, Mint Leaf

Middle Notes: Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Fern, Orange Flower

Base Notes: Amber, Musk, Oakmoss, Sandalwood

A 3.2 ounce bottle is $32. It doesn't last all day but if one is looking for something simple that has a fresh smelling scent and is affordable this is it.

View attachment 1489056
Interesting that the purchasing wouldn't have gone the other way, you can get wild and be able to indulge, without any "sensitives" around to kill the vibe !!!!???

Tea Rose, 4.0 oz., $14 (Because this is marketed as a women's fragrance, and is a scent that I would associate as being too feminine, I would have passed over this had it not been for two very favorable reviews on the Pour Monsieur and From Pyrgos blogs. I also had enjoyed a now discontinued rose-scented shaving soap from Italian Barber. So I picked up a new 2 oz. bottle with free shipping on eBay for $7.50. I very much like the rose/green scent of Tea Rose. It has surprising projection-it might fool you on your first application--and decent longevity. Give it a try if you like rose, or want to try a rose scent on a low-risk blind buy. I'm glad I did.)
1670826032104.png

Is this the stuff??? I am beginning my rose journey !!!:)

$37 Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and from a reputable seller (Pastuer's Pharmacy in NYC).

Last edited:
Correction:

Pierre Cardin Pour Homme Monsieur, 8 oz., $26 (Huge bottle, what a bargain! I love this and it has a permanent spot in my rotation.)

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've been confusing the two names. I meant Pour Monsieur (the left photo) and I was unaware of that there is a Pour Homme (the right photo) which I have never tried.

View attachment 1335144View attachment 1335143
I wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this.

I wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this.
If I had worked a little harder, I would have gotten the name correct! :001_rolle
But seriously, Steve, thank you! My contribution pales in comparison to what others put into making B&B a great place to congregate, and to share knowledge and encouragement.

Last edited:
Alfa Romeo Black, 4.2 oz., $17 (This is another fragrance I've tried after reading Bryan Ross's review at From Pyrgos). This is an incredible bargain at this price. Alfa Rome Black is nicely-blended, starting with citrus notes, then moving toward woods and patchouli. It is more complex than I am able to describe. When I look up the note pyramid, it has notes that I have no idea what they should smell like, e.g., Elemi resin and Alacatara. But the total effect is, this smells really good. It has decent longevity and projection, but it's no powerhouse fragrance.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom