What's new

Recommended Fragrances under $40

A great aquatic line is the Bulgarian Aqua and its flankers. While it isn’t under 40$, it is widely available and would be very good for someone to test at a store to smell some high quality aquatics for comparison with a cheaper alternative. Other brands would fill this purpose as well, but I think the BA series is very good.

Cool Water is the standard affordable choice, but it was so overdone in my day, that I rarely wear it. It is very distinctive and a real bargain. Easy to overapply in my opinion.

Best Wishes
In fact, you can obtain this on eBay for just under $40!

Received my first samples:
Clinique Happy
Cool Water
Polo Deep Blue
Armani Acqua di Gio
Let me say that ordering samples of these frags is definitely the way to go if there's a chance of you dropping some serious cash, which is different for everybody . But I've learned that because of my disability those vials are impossible for me to get open, so the alternative: Ask my wonderful bride to open them for me. So my favorite of the above 4 is definitely the Armani Acqua , but for me it's very pricey so we'll see. Cool Water is my second choice.
When life hands you lemons, make lemon aid.

So wore my Cool Water out in the ministry yesterday and loved it, not obnoxious/headache inducing like others I've tried , (unfortunately I bought a full bottle of that ) live and learn 🙃.

Eternity for Men
I always liked this growing up, if I can word this correctly, which fragrance category would this fall into, fruity, spicy, woodsy etc.
Thanks, still learning.

Eternity is an aromatic Fougere. Fouger’s are commonly referred to as Barbershop style colognes. Barbershop style colognes usually feature Lavender prominently.

When Eternity came out (1989 I believe) it was a new, modern (fresher, brighter, sparkling) take on the classic Fouger, which made it different. It changed the game, as most perfumers started going with fresher, brighter scents for men than was common prior. I like Eternity, but it seems a little dated. Burberry for Men is a similar take (released a few years after Eternity) that I prefer, but only infrequently.

Let me say that ordering samples of these frags is definitely the way to go if there's a chance of you dropping some serious cash, which is different for everybody . But I've learned that because of my disability those vials are impossible for me to get open, so the alternative: Ask my wonderful bride to open them for me. So my favorite of the above 4 is definitely the Armani Acqua , but for me it's very pricey so we'll see. Cool Water is my second choice.
When life hands you lemons, make lemon aid.

if you like Acqua di Gio by Armani you’re in luck. Perry Ellis 360 Degree Red is very close to it and, in my estimation, a superior scent profile as it adds a hint of spice to the mix. It can be found at most rack stores for $15 - $20. Highly recommend it.

”Dunshire” by Sterling is an homage to this as well - and quite popular with the wet shaving community - but I believe the PE smells better and is of higher quality to boot. It’s also cheaper in EdT concentration. You can get Dunshire as an aftershave (I bought it as well as the EdT) and Sterling aftershaves go about $13, but I’m not a fan.

Here are some thoughts on a few Middle Eastern clone fragrances I’ve recently acquired:

Maison Alhambra Hercules
Allegedly a clone of Parfums de Marly Herod. I have no idea how close it is (or even if it actually is a clone) since I've never smelled Herod. What I can say is that for the $20 Hercules currently goes for, this is an insane value. It’s a delicious tobacco-vanilla fragrance with good performance. My wife loves it as well. Straight up I prefer this over Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanille and if you like this type of fragrance it’s a no-brainer blind buy. Just a fantastic winter scent.

Lattafa Raghba for Man
This is a clone of Creed’s Green Irish Tweed and to my (novice, admittedly) nose it is basically identical. I have not done a direct AB test, but all the charm of GIT is here, although maybe Raghba lacks some of the dimensionality? Regardless, it has the great dry down, and every note is in its proper place. Good performance as well. Can be had for $15(!) currently. I’m looking forward to wearing this come spring. If you look into this just be careful: Lattafa sells at least three(!) different scents under the "Raghba" name. This one is Raghba for Man.

Lattafa Qaa’ed
Some people say this is an attempt to mix Tom Ford’s Ambre Leather and Tuscan Leather. I don’t know about that, but this is a semi-sweet leather forward fragrance with a nice cinnamon and vanilla dry down. If you’re a fan of those notes this is likely a safe blind buy. Also—this fragrance was an absolutely retching, acrid mess of spices when I first got it. I guess the maceration/maturation thing is not a myth? After a month or so it’s settled down quite nicely.

Qaa’ed also takes the cake as the ugliest fragrance bottle in my possession.

Maison Alhambra Woody Oud
I’ve never smelled Tom Ford’s Oud Wood, but if it smells anything like this then I love it already. This is just about the easiest-to-wear oud fragrance I’ve ever gotten my nose on. Super dry, no funk, and a nice woodsy opening that lasts all the way through. Smells expensive, but is not.

Maison Alhambra Porto Neroli
Keeping with a theme here, I’ve never smelled the Tom Ford of which this is a direct rip off, but again, if the TF smells anything like this, then it’s a winner imo. As the name implies, this is a neroli forward, very fresh, summertime citrus scent. Neroli is not for everyone, and some feel it leans too feminine. I don’t feel that way personally, and I look forward to wearing this on >80* F days this summer.

Maison Alhambra Bright Peach
Yet another Tom Ford clone. The peach here is amazingly realistic, and not synthetic in the least. There’s a nice, sort of boozy dry down here as well. Even so, this is not something I’m comfortable wearing. Fortunately, the wife loves it, and it suits her well. Probably best worn in the spring.

Not quite $40 but anything from Hawthorne is outstanding. Famous perfumers which they name design the fragrances and the bottle size is very generous. Real deal. If Tom Ford was on the label they would be $250 not $50-$60.

My small collection 😍. 20230302_194312.jpg

Top Bottom