What's new

Recommendations sought

Hello. I am a newbie to DE shaving. I initially bought a Parker Variant and a Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable.

I tried the Nostalgic a couple of times but somehow I did not find it smooth & efficient. Perhaps I might revisit it in the future when I have more experience. The Variant was better and I kept using it but found it too aggressive even on the lowest setting, and often ended up with a raw chin and odd weeper and needed to pay attention.

I have a sensitive chin and upper lip area. I have little growth on the cheek area and sides of neck with most growth on the 'goatee' area. I shave 3 times a week and need to leave at least 2 days between shaves, at least with the cartridge/electric razors I used previously as well as the Variant.

On a whim I ordered a Rockwell 6C and found I could get between a DFS/BBS with plate 2 and 3-pass plus any touchups. Plate 3 was also good but more of a potential to have irritation after. With plate 4 I had to start paying attention.

I am quite happy with the 6C but would like something more durable as to the material used. I am obviously considering getting the 6S, leaving the 6C as a backup. However I would appreciate any suggestions as to a steel(?) razor that would give a smooth and efficient shave similar to the 6C with plate 2.

Thank you.

Welcome aboard!

The question of razor materials is very topical these days. Tons of opinions but since you asked here are my thoughts. First, if you take care of a Zamak razor it can last for decades. Second, SS, Ti, brass, etc. may last longer but this is of no concern if the razor does not work well for you.

Since you are new to this hobby, I suggest that you focus for now on technique as good technique will pay the most dividends. Also your preferences may well change (mine did)!

So, for now I would stick with your current set-up, optimize your blade choice, prep, technique. Once these are well established, then you can revisit the secondary question of your razor preference!

Welcome aboard!

The question of razor materials is very topical these days. Tons of opinions but since you asked here are my thoughts. First, if you take care of a Zamak razor it can last for decades. Second, SS, Ti, brass, etc. may last longer but this is of no concern if the razor does not work well for you.

Since you are new to this hobby, I suggest that you focus for now on technique as good technique will pay the most dividends. Also your preferences may well change (mine did)!

So, for now I would stick with your current set-up, optimize your blade choice, prep, technique. Once these are well established, then you can revisit the secondary question of your razor preference!
Succinct & excellent advice.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the advice. I tend to take care of my stuff so apart from normal wear and tear there is little chance of accidental damage though that may of course happen. I dry and wipe scum from the 6C after each use, perhaps some lubrication on the handle thread will mitigate any normal wear and tear at that point.

Technique seems better to master with the 6C, and at some point I will want to revisit the other razors to see what difference time will have made. As with all other things experience will help you make more informed thoughts.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Welcome aboard!

Well said! Great advice.

Some great advice here. As your technique improves you might find you prefer more aggressive razors, or milder ones. Save up until you know which type you like and then splurge on a Timeless, Wolfman, vintage English Gillette Aristocrat or whatever else takes your fancy.

Top Bottom