What's new

Recommendations for my dream shave den

I'm going to post a large den clearout on BST soon, because I want to swap out much of my den for different items. Once it's done, I'm going to assemble my dream den and be set for purchases for a while. I'm looking for some input on what I should buy for the items listed in BLUE below. I will end up with the following:

Razors
- Merkur 39C slant
- Weber DLC
- Re-plated Flaretip, haven't decided on which plate I want yet. What plate do you guys like for this? I have the razor already and it's in excellent condition. Consensus seems to be to forego replating since there's no current plate loss that I can see.

Brushes
- The biggest, softest, most luxurious brush that is available. From what I've read, if I'm just looking for maximum softness, I should go with a Thater. I don't care about the handle much, so I'd like to save money in that area if possible, but I'd like to know what you guys recommend as the most pillowy knot that I can find. I've received two recommendations for a Rooney Heritage. Anybody else?
- Muhle HJM Black Fibre. It's already been shipped. http://www.shaving.ie/product_images/f/910/hjm-muhle-synthetic-shaving__68037_zoom.jpg

Lathers

I want to have 7 different scents for a week-long rotation. Soaps and creams are both alright, creams actually do really well on my face so I'm up for them. I'm set in the categories of: almond (TOBS almond/Cella), eucalyptus/mint (Proraso new), and soap/baby powder (Tabac). What I need recommendations for are: floral (rose preferred, but I'm open), 'manly'/barbershop or cologne, citrus (DR Harris Arlington), and something else (MWF) - whatever you recommend! My only caveat is NOT sandalwood...it's boring to me for some reason. I'd really love some artisan products if you like any, such as QCS or Mike's or whatever!

- What's your favorite MWF with floral, citrus, or another scent? Apparently the shave soap only comes in one scent. I think I'll get it and categorize it as my "something else." I remembered coming across different ranges of MWF before, but those are not *shave* soaps.
- Something with a 'manly' or 'barbershop' scent, preferably a unique one. I've tried a sampler of most of the Truefitt & Hill creams and I really like them, and I'll be happy to take recommendations from this brand, or from TOBS or anything else really, as long as it's not in the other scent categories. For a reference point from T&H, I loved 1805, thought Trafalgar was ok, and disliked Grafton. Mike's Naturals Barbershop has been suggested.

After-shave balms

I'm not sure about my tastes in this category, really. I've only tried Proraso (lotion, not splash) and the sampler balms from T&H. I found that some of T&H's after-shave balms irritate my skin badly, probably due to being very heavily scented. Some don't though, so I'm not sure what I'm trying to avoid. Proraso ASB is fantastic to me, because it has a less viscous texture, has a cooling feel, and does not irritate my face at all. I am open to ASBs that will carry a scent around with me, or ones that won't. Again, artisan products are very cool with me!

- I'm looking for maybe 2 or 3 balms to rotate with Proraso. I don't want a full 7-day rotation of these because I think I am a lot more picky about them than my lathering products. What are your favorites, especially ones with a similar consistency/feel to Proraso (but preferably different scents)? I'm sold on a GFT Skin Food so far (and don't want sandalwood) - lime or coral?

Thanks for any help and discussion! I will provide many delicious photographs of my den once it's completed.

Last edited:
Rooney Beehive (Heritage) is very soft. But a Thater is also incredibly soft, really up to you. See if you can snag a Thater off the BST (they are coming up every now and then at a great price thanks to Bullgoose's sale).

DR Harris Arlington is a good pick for citrusy shave cream. I would grab some Santa Maria Novella (but that is because it is probably my favourite soap).
Also Acqua Di Parma is a great cream.

Balm wise I have no idea, if Proraso works I would stick with it.

Good luck with your den.

Edit: Figured I would add a picture

proxy.php

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would like to make a suggestion on the Flair Tip if I may? You stated it is in excellent condition already? If it is, might I suggest leaving it as is? No reason to put plating on a razor who's finish will already last you forever if you just take care of it properly. The great thing about owning a mint Gillette SuperSpeed is keeping it vintage? Not only do you have an awesome vintage razor, you have an awesome vintage finish already on that razor. Why fix what ain't broke?

Mike's soap Barbershop I believe is the scent is not only manly but a very complex smell to me as opposed to simple. YMMV of course, he has samples.

Another vote for Rooney Heritage. I have the Heritage 3XL stubby that I got from another B&B member and it is cloud city man...

proxy.php

Mike's soap Barbershop I believe is the scent is not only manly but a very complex smell to me as opposed to simple. YMMV of course, he has samples.
thanks! that's the kind of rec i'm looking for. also thanks for the rooney rec's, i would not have known about the heritage's reputation without this thread.

MWF is only one scent, I believe. I guess I'D call it old fashioned barbershoppy. Thaters are amazingly soft. I think you can get them up to a size 6, which ought to be very large. If not big enough for you, think about a Shavemac custom flat top. Essentially the same hair as Thater and a flat puts lottsa hair to skin. I think either GFT or TOBS rose creams are great, maybe a slight nod to the latter. Don't overlook the GFT coconut, which is incredibly creamy. The TFS BN is an amazing citrus scented cream. For ASBs I like Floid, La Toja, Pre de Provence or I Coloniali. GFT skin food is a great multiple-purpose product: it can be used as a pre-shave, an addition to your lather and an ASB.

I would like to make a suggestion on the Flair Tip if I may? You stated it is in excellent condition already? If it is, might I suggest leaving it as is? No reason to put plating on a razor who's finish will already last you forever if you just take care of it properly. The great thing about owning a mint Gillette SuperSpeed is keeping it vintage? Not only do you have an awesome vintage razor, you have an awesome vintage finish already on that razor. Why fix what ain't broke?

+ 1 , the original finish gives the vintage razor character. Only replate it if you really need to.

For the Rose -TOBS is heaven! I prefer it over T&H at least scent-wise.
How about some RazoRock? XXX is pretty old school barbershoppy and citrus, and RR King Louis for a lavender. great performers both.
+1 on Mikes Naturals Barber shop-it is my favorite of his line

Balms I have and like are PdP, Institut Karite and RR King Louis Wax and don't overlook drug store options Burts Bees and Nivea Sensitive balm they both are staples in my den and get more play than the other 3.

Brush: Savile Row might be better price wise. I haven't had a shavemac or thater, but my SR 3722 was feather soft.

Creams: Taylor Rose is my favorite cream.

Soaps: Harris Arlington puck and La Toja stick

Cloudy soft, gotta have a Kent listed here somewhere.....if it were my dream, I'd dream about the Bk14..........u know, it's even bigger, and fluffier than the 12......the I'd wake up disappointed that this was only a dream, and that they stop at the 12 model. Soooo, I'd vote for the bk or blk 12!!!! The dr Harris Arlington is exactly what ur describing that u want IMO.

AS: Does it have to be balm? If not, then lucky tiger or 4711 have quickly dissipating scents. I'd also suggest a witch hazel or witch hazel containing AS as one of the 3. If you want a balm, I enjoyed my Handmade Soap Co ASB. It has a stronger vetyver/lavender scent, so I'd try to find a sample if irritation has been a problem.
Cheers!

Last edited:
thanks a bunch everyone! looks like Arlington is going to be my citrus choice. i've ordered a few samples of Mike's, including barbershop, so i'll see how i like that. the issue seems pretty split on brushes...i guess i'll do some more detailed research and see what jumps out at me.

AS: Does it have to be balm? If not, then lucky tiger or 4711 have quickly dissipating scents. I'd also suggest a witch hazel or witch hazel containing AS as one of the 3. If you want a balm, I enjoyed my Handmade Soap Co ASB. It has a stronger vetyver/lavender scent, so I'd try to find a sample if irritation has been a problem.
Cheers!

my face is pretty prone to dryness, and i live in Las Vegas where the air is tremendously dry as well. i do think i need a balm, though i haven't tried a splash or anything else really - do they moisturize? i already own a variety of Thayer's WH and use it regularly so i'm set there.

I REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY love the handle of this Thater and i think i'm almost set on it, but i have two questions about it that hopefully you guys can help me with:

(1) i don't want to have to avoid the stiff fibers in the middle. my Muhle Silvertip Fibre has a center bundle of fibres that are pretty stiff and add a lot of total backbone to the brush (which is good for lathering hard soaps), but i really hate that feature as it applies to face-feel, because it makes it difficult to comfortably apply lather in a swirling motion, instead forcing me to only use a variety of painting motions. this Thater is bulb-shaped...is it likely to have the same issue? the Merkur Silvertip Barber Pole that I currently own is also bulb-shaped but it does NOT have that issue for me. i'm hoping this Thater won't either.

(2) is this close to the softest face-feel brush that I can find anywhere? if it's close to the softest available, then I think i'll take it for the beautiful handle. but if there's another knot out there that is significantly softer, i'll look into it:

http://www.royalshave.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HR_411-106_thater_4292-4_ebony.jpg

Have you thought about using some basic scentless moisturizing lotion coupled with aftershave splash? Right after shave I use the splash and few minutes later, if needed, I apply some moisturizer. I think nothing compares to good old aftershave splash; applying ASB is just not the same for me.

Proraso makes excellent aftershave splash with nice cooling menthol effect, Santa Maria Novella's aftershaves are also great. Both make my skin look somehow glowing and clear and are great for skin. Other than these two, I must say I'm totally in love with Vitos Aftershaving. Great barbershop scent, powdery amber goodyness.

About barbershop soap. You should consider RazoRock's Zi' Peppino, which is rebranded TFS Tabacco Verde - these soaps are some of the best I've ever tired, and this has nice barbershoppy scent.

If you're like most people, you'll find you scent preferences change with the seasons so you'll need to take that into account.

I REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY love the handle of this Thater and i think i'm almost set on it, but i have two questions about it that hopefully you guys can help me with:

(1) i don't want to have to avoid the stiff fibers in the middle. my Muhle Silvertip Fibre has a center bundle of fibres that are pretty stiff and add a lot of total backbone to the brush (which is good for lathering hard soaps), but i really hate that feature as it applies to face-feel, because it makes it difficult to comfortably apply lather in a swirling motion, instead forcing me to only use a variety of painting motions. this Thater is bulb-shaped...is it likely to have the same issue? the Merkur Silvertip Barber Pole that I currently own is also bulb-shaped but it does NOT have that issue for me. i'm hoping this Thater won't either.

(2) is this close to the softest face-feel brush that I can find anywhere? if it's close to the softest available, then I think i'll take it for the beautiful handle. but if there's another knot out there that is significantly softer, i'll look into it:

http://www.royalshave.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HR_411-106_thater_4292-4_ebony.jpg

Here is a Thater on the BST for $105 shipped
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/290949-FS-H-L-Thater-49125-1-Silvertip

I have this brush, also from Royal Shave. It is utterly cloud-like. No stiff, pricklynhairs anywhere to be seen, but good backbone. If soft is your goal, search no more. You've found the one.

Top Bottom