What's new

Recommendation list for those just starting out

Based on Phils' (luvmysuper) suggestion in the "Suggestion Box" thread and James (jwhite) blessing, I'll start this thread. It can start off very raw, no worries. If it takes off, James may sticky it.

Simply put, post what you think someone starting in cigars/pipe tobacco/snuff/etc. would need to be comfortable in the hobby. Accessories, pipes, brands of tobacco or cigars, you get the point. It would be very helpful to post a mini review about the item as well so that they have some information go off of. I'll start with an example

Zippo Brand Pipe Lighter
Pros: Cheap (on Amazon), reliable, has a chimney that directs the flame into the pipe bowl so the edges don't burn
Cons: If you already have a Zippo, this is unnecessary as you can send yours into the factory and get the chimney added. Somewhat unwieldy to use at first, not intuitive with the flame.

If you think my review is total garbage, here is an ABC example from Phil

Accessories;
Brand x cigar cutter
Likes - cheap, easy to find locally
Dislikes - dull, tends to tear wrapper if not careful

Brand xxx cigar cutter
Likes - Sharp, easy to use one handed
Dislikes - slightly expensive, difficult to find locall

You get the picture? Post whatever you think is good, there is not a item too big or too small to talk about here.

Edit: If you wish to do a full-length review on any product, post in the Consumables section of the Speakeasy Reviews. After 10 new reviews, we should get our own section.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Ronson Jetlite lighter
Likes - Dirt Cheap ~$4, Reliable, good looking.
Dislikes - Somewhat limited availability. Check Walmart, Walgreens, CVS

Xikar Xi2 cutter
Likes: self sharpening, stylish, life time warranty from Xikar (they even mail you a pouch for it when you register it on their website), non-removable blades so you can fly with it... at least within Canada and the US
Dislikes: pricey if you don't shop around.

Basic newbie pipe smoker starter kit;

Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe
Pouch of Capt. Black White
Czeck tool or pipe nail
Box of kitchen matches.
Pipe cleaners
Pros: Everything you need to find out if the hobby is for you for under $20
All supplies are readily available at most drugstores/grocery stores
If you decide it's not for you, you're not out much.

Cons: You might look like a hillbilly with a corncob pipe
Drugstore tobacco isn't the greatest, but you're a newb, you won't know the difference until you learn how to smoke
May lead to expensive purchases in the near future

Last edited:
Based on Phils' (luvmysuper) suggestion in the "Suggestion Box" thread and James (jwhite) blessing, I'll start this thread. It can start off very raw, no worries. If it takes off, James may sticky it.

Simply put, post what you think someone starting in cigars/pipe tobacco/snuff/etc. would need to be comfortable in the hobby. Accessories, pipes, brands of tobacco or cigars, you get the point. It would be very helpful to post a mini review about the item as well so that they have some information go off of. I'll start with an example

Edit: If you wish to do a full-length review on any product, let me or jwhite know and we will figure out how to get that in the review section for you!

This isn't a product review, but I would suggest that those starting out think about what they are going to be doing while smoking. I only smoke outdoors and unless I'm listening to a ballgame or reading, I'm doing something that requires the use of my hands. A lighter pipe or a Macanudo ascot are good if you're walking the dog or digging in the garden -- may sound strange, but I find working in the garden to be a relaxing complement to a pipe or cigar.

Kelly

A big tip for people getting into cigar smoking, When buying a humidor try to buy one that is bigger than the cigars you think you will buy, so if you buy a 50 count maybe spend the little bit more for a 100 count. You never know if you will receive cigars as a gift, end up buying some on an outing, or if you figured you want to have more cigars on hand because you love them so much.

Other ways of holding cigars are tubberdors and coolidors.
Tubberdors are super easy for dealing with excess stock, You take a large air tight plastic container, put in your humidifer, hydrometer, and cigars.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/328846-How-to-Coolidor?highlight=coolidor
Made by Showcattle

Last edited:
For new Pipe Smokers a helpful hint is to buy cheap mason jars. They are air tight and helps your tobacco stay fresh and moist.

Applicable to both neophytes to the pipe and cigar, particularly those who are also neophytes to tobacco use: nicotine can sneak up on you. Keep a sugary drink on hand to keep the sweats from developing into spins - or worse. Besides, a sip will refresh your palate allowing you to better experience the flavours.
Also, if you find you've reached a point in your smoke where the flavour profile has become akin to roofing tar, it feels like the inside of your mouth is fuzzy, and you just are not enjoying yourself any longer, it's perfectly acceptible to put your smoke aside. There is no hard law that says you must smoke the heel / foot.
Finally, smoke what you enjoy...but try as much variety as you can. Don't get completely caught up in reviews, but rather use them as a guideline to seek out flavour profiles that will appeal to you - taste is very personal, and branding has become everything (particularly in the cigar world). Many a time I've smoked a stick rated in the 70's or 80's and been very impressed, while I can also say I've plied flame to more than a few 90+ cigars and been thoroughly dissapointed (they were still decent, but didn't live up to the hype).

Wind caps are needed if outside

Pro- very cheap and keep a pipe from lighting on fire
Cons- must be removed to relight or tamp... but that's really no big deal

Don't worry about buying a pipe tool if you're new to pipes, a large headed nail works great, and you probably have them laying around. If you're new to pipes, use a soft flame lighter or even better wooden matches, otherwise you'll inevitably scorch the rim of your pipe. Buy ready rubbed tobaccos while you refine your piping technique, rubbing the tobacco to the proper consistency adds another layer of difficulty while you're learning. Most tobaccos are tinned too wet to smoke, so let your tobacco sit out for a half hour or so before you load your bowl. Finally, smoke slowly to avoid tongue bite, and enjoy!

If you're new to pipes, use a soft flame lighter or even better wooden matches, otherwise you'll inevitably scorch the rim of your pipe.

Not to mention cook all the good flavours out of your tobacco. I can't believe how many times I've seen fellow pipesters puffing away like a steam-engine completely scorching the tobacco and cooking the sugars and other flavinoids beyond recognition. Remember, tobacco is an organic substance, and much like a steak that's been burned to a crisp tastes like crap, so too will tobacco!

Not to mention cook all the good flavours out of your tobacco. I can't believe how many times I've seen fellow pipesters puffing away like a steam-engine completely scorching the tobacco and cooking the sugars and other flavinoids beyond recognition. Remember, tobacco is an organic substance, and much like a steak that's been burned to a crisp tastes like crap, so too will tobacco!
Yup!

ok for pipes it's pretty straight foward for me a decent briar pipe or to start out a cobb is fine too. I like davidoff tobacco either a oriental or cavenish or a CAO blend. I like czech tools I use my Xikar lighter. As to cigars which i smoke way more often than a pipe I good cutter is a must I use a xikar Xi cutter and a jetflame lighter. I keep my sticks at 65 RH and they burn great. depending on the cigar you may want to invest in a punch and a v-cutter as well. My top 3 cigars are Padron x000 series , Liga Privada #9, and CAO gold maduro. To start out with cigars go for a medium to mild bodied cigar like a CAO gold or a mild conneticut wrapper with some mild binder and fillers.

Top Bottom