What's new

Reclining seats on an airplane

Is it ok to recline seats on an airplane?

• Yes, the seat was made to recline, so recline away

• No, it is inconsiderate to the passenger behind you

• Maybe, it depends (flight time?)

• Who cares?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm tall, I recline. And I take umbrage with strangers telling me what I may or may not do. Ask and I'll work with you. Dictate and ... less positive results.

The recline function is included in the seat so that it may be used. At the occupant's discretion, not the person behind's. If you don't want the person in front of you to recline, fly first class.

I agree. Ask if you may recline and I'll work with you. Slam your seat back into my knees and ... less positive results. If you expect to be able to recline, fly first class.

Seriously, If someones legs are in the way, there's not much they can do about it the way the airlines cram the seats together.

Last edited:
The recline function is included in the seat so that it may be used.

Well sort of. It was designed to be used, back when the seats were planned out for use in the plane when it was new. But since then, the airlines have done all they can to squeeze a couple more rows in, decreasing the space in between the rows.

Now, a fully reclined seat is quite a hindrance to the row behind it. If someone in the aisle seat is fully reclined, in the row in front of you, and you are in the window seat, good luck trying to get out of the row if you need to use the restroom ( or if there was an actual emergency!).

Last time I flew, I put my laptop on my tray table to do some work and the person in front of me reclined. It pushed my laptop towards me and pushed the screen closed just enough that I could no longer see the screen due to the angle of the screen.

Maybe some of you anti recliners should take it up with the airlines? You're fighting the wrong people. If the seat back moves, passengers will move them. It's not their fault that the airline provides a seat that reclines. If the seat issue bothers you so much, then make arrangements to avoid it ( I.E. buy a front row, emergency exit row, etc. seat ). Can I enjoy my pretzels and soft drink as well, or is there some unwritten rule I'm missing there too?

I think it is fine. But people should be considerate when food is served. Even after an announcement, that during meals to de-recline people do not. Many times I have had to request the air-hostess to ask the person in front of me to release the angle. No ways will I do it my self, people are always ready to fight here and argue over petty things. Worst it, since flights cost so much, people think that they should be allowed to do what ever they want. Also: trying to force a bag in the over-head which is not fitting is cumbersome. I remember at Newark, the flight attendant literally asked a lady to get-off the flight, since she was not letting him check-in a bag that no ways could have fit in the over head compartment. She kept arguing for 10 minutes, and blocking the incoming passengers. Why....!

I fly often to visit family, and I really think that not throwing the seat back is a very courteous thing to do, you're given a great opportunity to NOT make someone's day worse, so I very rarely recline. Plus I have a terrible fear of breaking someone's laptop screen. :bored:

Seriously, If someones legs are in the way, there's not much they can do about it the way the airlines cram the seats together.
Fly Economy Plus, if the airline offers it. That gives you extra leg room.

Well sort of. It was designed to be used, back when the seats were planned out for use in the plane when it was new. But since then, the airlines have done all they can to squeeze a couple more rows in, decreasing the space in between the rows.
And whose fault is that? The passenger who sits in a reclining seat? I think not.

Talk to the airline if you think they should make an arrangement for taller people (some airlines already do!).

Last edited:
After reading this I'm thankful I only fly in the US once a year. This is why I work so hard, so I can fly biz or first. Everything is getting so hostile in the US.

After reading this I'm thankful I only fly in the US once a year. This is why I work so hard, so I can fly biz or first. Everything is getting so hostile in the US.

My employer does not allow first class anymore, except for senior managers. So the regular "workforce" has to fly economy. Or economy plus, if we pay the upgrade (about 30 euros) ourselves.

It depends on the airline. I recently rode on JetBlue. There was plenty of room and if the person decided to recline, it would have been fine (though I'm glad they didn't). I'm 6'3", so this can definitely be an issue for me. Years ago, I travelled to Ireland and the seats were much smaller. My knees were already touching the seat in front of me and then the girl jammed her seat back. I literally yelped out loud. I very nicely asked her if she would mind keeping her seat up because I was actually in pain and we had a 7 hour flight. She replied, "Deal with it" and immediately turned around. It was a long 7 hours. Overall, I think it's a little inconsiderate, but aloud.

The reclining function is there so I don't see that as a problem. You are well within your rights to recline. But if that person asked me politely not to I would consider it.

I can't help but think that passengers arguing about what the correct behavior is (recline or not; ask permission or just go ahead) diverts attention from the one group that can actually fix this: the airlines. By providing seats that recline, but not enough room for them to recline comfortably for those behind the seat, they've unintentionally created an environment in which conflict is unavoidable. Having flown a lot over the last 15 years, it all feels like one large science experiment.

$DrStrangelove060Pyxurz.jpg
"Dr. Frankenstein (pronounced "franken-steen"), let's see how humans will react as we slowly shrink their seating space, and routinely make them sit on the tarmac for 2-3 hours before takeoff (are you listening LaGuardia?)."

$1000x800px-LL-Young+Frankenstein+07.jpg
"Not enough, Strangelove, not enough. In order to gauge the effects on living persons, we must raise the stress levels even higher. Let's charge them for baggage check-in thus forcing them to compete for overhead space...stop meal service on all regional flights an force all fliers to board according to their "status" By the time they land, their cortisol levels should be off the charts."

Seriously, the only way this is going to be fixed is if passengers are willing to pay more for flying in a civilized manner. The airlines net profitability over their entire history is break-even depending on what year you start your measurements. The point being that it's hard to make money running an airline. If you want more comfortable seats, pay for them. Show the airlines there's a business model in providing better service and more comfortable accommodations and they'll provide it.

For those of you in the Northeast Corridor, the Amtrak Acela is the only profitable route they have (or so I'm told...who really knows). Compared to flying, it's like riding the Orient Express. They've been able to steadily raise their ticket prices without a squeal from the riders because the service is worth it. Won't work everywhere, but on the high traffic lanes, maybe a subset of flights offering more comfortable seating at a premium price.

I'll recline an inch back, maybe two, but that's it. Any more would be inconsiderate to the person behind me.

Yeah yeah you paid for the seat and it reclines all the way back--big deal. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You want to sit in a barca-lounger? Stay home.

I want a car as smart as a mule. Then I can sleep in my own vehicle while it does the majority of the driving overnight. Almost like the railroad, but I have transportation at the destination.

This a convergence of two bad situations: the airlines squeezing as many people as possible into a plane without any consideration for their comfort (read: they're trapped, so screw 'em) and a general lack of manners on the part of the public.

Here comes the old guy rant: when I first started flying (mostly for business) people dressed decently, the aircraft were smaller and it was all very civil. I was on one of the very first 747 flights from NY to LA and it was a circus (and unfortunately a glimpse of the future). Over the years air travel has gotten cheaper (on a relative basis) and the whole thing has turned into a mess. Instead of waiting in a quiet, civilized manner, you now sit in a screaming zoo with everyone on edge and some slob in flip flops drinking beer at 6AM sitting next to you. Then you get on the plane.....

I got lucky during my later business traveling when I was flying business class on international flights and could pick my flights. Flying within the US got worse every year and is just plain awful these days. Like most of us, I can't pay the insane price to fly business or first and now avoid flying as much as possible. I'm lucky that my days of business flying are behind me, so I have a choice about whether to go or not. I feel sorry for anyone that, as part of their work requirement, has to fly within the US all the time.

Ever been on a flight packed with families headed for Disneyworld? I think it was one of Dante's steps to Hell.

I never recline my seat as it does constitute an inconvenience to the person behind me. By the same token, when I get on a plane, I know that I am surrendering my "right" to that knee space and if the person in front of me reclines, that's his or her choice and I just have to deal with it without condeming them.

I am constantly amazed at the selfishness and inconsideration of many in our society today.

My sentiments exactly, BSAGuy. A proper gentleman's perspective.

The reclining function is there so I don't see that as a problem. You are well within your rights to recline. But if that person asked me politely not to I would consider it.

The Easyjet solution is best ... non-reclining seats only.

Top Bottom