What's new

Received a French razor.

D

dangerousrazor

I won a Famex in a recent bidding.
It looked nice to me and the thing that captured my mind most was that it included 2 different Famex base plate.

I receieved the razor today. The box was huge. I took a pic of a black & red Gillette New box in front of Famex's for comparison

20191115_184727.jpg

It contained a brush, a mirror and two base plate I talked about.

15738114256161408592308055609586.jpg

15738114791253620029473814067121.jpg

However, my pleasure ended here. the center pin found broken. stuck in the handle. :(

15738115743211754997360302373512.jpg

15738116500005485096313098358009.jpg

What could be my greatest acquisition turned out to be a disaster. I cant help but send it back to the seller.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hopefully they will get back to you soon. It is a hard thing to miss when you are selling a razor.

D

dangerousrazor

Hopefully they will get back to you soon. It is a hard thing to miss when you are selling a razor.
Thanks. I hope so. It is strange that I got many unsatisfied cases with French sellers thesedays.

D

dangerousrazor

Sad. Everything was going so well. I wonder if there is a way to repair it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes. It could add some exoticness to my vintage collection due to its distinct design. :(

R

romsitsa

Is there any chance the thread broke during transport, or what was the seller thinking (it was advertised as "good condition")?
But now it makes sense why the original listing didn't show the underside of the cap.
Hope you get a full refund and an apology.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dangerousrazor

Is there any chance the thread broke during transport, or what was the seller thinking (it was advertised as "good condition")?
But now it makes sense why the original listing didn't show the underside of the cap.
Hope you get a full refund and an apology.

Adam

The seller agreed to accept the return. I am not sure it was broken originally or not.

As far as repair goes to salvage that handle for starters you'd need to try to remove the broken screw thread with an extractor.

One of the issues with those razors is you can't just swap out the handle for any old handle afterwards. They use something called a tapered thread like a pipe thread but for an M5 instead. The TPI ( thread per inch measurement) is the same as a regular thread but the O.D. is different. Usually thje O.D. (outer diameter is too large for a regular M5 or 10-32 threaded handle.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

As far as repair goes to salvage that handle for starters you'd need to try to remove the broken screw thread with an extractor.

Not sure it’s worth, seems to an aluminum handle and zamak cap (pretty good casting btw.).

Adam

With the right tools and skills, I would think there could be a fix. Without knowing what you paid or the rarity, it is hard to know if it is worth what would be required to properly restore it though. What you decide will be legitimate and hard to argue due to the steps needed for restoration.

It is now worth 1 Gazillion Dollars!

proxy.php

Just kidding...there are plenty of those types out there, we don't need another one.

R

romsitsa

It is if you have another Famex like I do and want to have an extra handle for it.

It’s aluminum with a piece of zamak stuck into it. Not a good omen for future useability, imho.

Adam

/
It’s aluminum with a piece of zamak stuck into it. Not a good omen for future useability, imho.

Adam

Obviously there are no guarantees that the threads in the handle are or will still be in good shape after removing the broken screw thread. That cap though is probably done even if the thread broken off in the handle could be salvaged.

Last edited:
A Fatip Grande or Schone handle is a suitable substitute, fits the Famex (and L'Essor) razor just fine. A Weber may also but won't look as appropriate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom