What's new

Ready to switch: any advice ?

It may have just been the scene, lighting, or the way the sun and moon aligned, but I was getting very poor dynamic range compared to camera B. I wish I could show you the shots, they are remarkably different, a lot more than I would have expected.

Fair call. I wonder whether it had anything to do with the way the camera had been configured? I know that in some regards Canon are behind on their sensors, and one could argue they are ahead in some other aspects, but I've had a few conversations where a reset to factory default has undone a great man sins on behalf of the camera owner :001_rolle

No comment on what was behind curtain b?

Legion

Staff member
Fair call. I wonder whether it had anything to do with the way the camera had been configured? I know that in some regards Canon are behind on their sensors, and one could argue they are ahead in some other aspects, but I've had a few conversations where a reset to factory default has undone a great man sins on behalf of the camera owner :001_rolle

No comment on what was behind curtain b?

Yes, absolutely. As I said, it was not my equipment, and I messed with it for a fair while, trying to get it configured beyond just hitting "restore to factory defaults". Which I eventually did. Then I put it aside for a different camera which I knew could do the job. I probably could have shot it with the Canon, but I only had ten minutes to get it done, so I spent nine minutes getting unsatisfactory results, and thirty seconds getting the shots I needed with the other camera.

A poor workman blames his tools, but it is not often you get to build the same cabinet with two different tools at the same time, and that was the telling thing. Usually I only shoot one thing, with one camera at a time, and usually not under the clock. Luckily this time I did not have to work around the issues with camera A, and I could put it down and move to camera B, which had no issues to resolve at all.

Hey, thousands of people take great shots with everything from a Phase One to a mobile phone, so YMMV, and use what works for you. Personally, I think it is nice to be able to test this stuff head to head under pressure occasionally, because it cements in my mind which equipment I like and which I don't.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what was camera b?

I was thinking about this last night. It's unfortunate that cameras have gotten to this. It used to be a camera was a light tight box that opened the shutter the amount of time and size you asked it. All of the other features were icing on the cake.

If one film wouldn't do the job, you could change it. If a sensor isn't doing the job you need, you can't just swap it out, or slap on a different back.

It would be nice if sensor technology wasn't tied in with the camera manufacturer

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm also looking into getting a new camera and can't decide if i should stick with a nikon or get a camera.

Specifically I've been looking at the d610 or the 6d, of course if i could afford it i would go for the d810 or the 5d 3. At the moment i don't have any good lenses for my nikon just the old kit lens that came with it so I'm not too invested into the nikon brand.

So far it seems like the nikon has been better choice for me but still can't help but wonder about the canon.

Legion

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what was camera b?

I was thinking about this last night. It's unfortunate that cameras have gotten to this. It used to be a camera was a light tight box that opened the shutter the amount of time and size you asked it. All of the other features were icing on the cake.

If one film wouldn't do the job, you could change it. If a sensor isn't doing the job you need, you can't just swap it out, or slap on a different back.

It would be nice if sensor technology wasn't tied in with the camera manufacturer

Let's just say it was a camera with a sensor made in a Sony factory (which is almost everything, these days).

Yes, the best description of an old camera was "a box to hold the film still". There are so many complicated variables now.

I was thinking yesterday, the "terrible" results I got from camera A were really not so bad, they would have been totally acceptable a few years ago. It is just that this stuff is improving so fast, our standards are changing very quickly. And pretty much any modern SLR can get images, in camera, with no post production whatsoever, that leaves what film is capable of for dead in many ways.

I was thinking yesterday, the "terrible" results I got from camera A were really not so bad, they would have been totally acceptable a few years ago. It is just that this stuff is improving so fast, our standards are changing very quickly. And pretty much any modern SLR can get images, in camera, with no post production whatsoever, that leaves what film is capable of for dead in many ways.

I guess that is a challenge particularly if you work in the industry. Some of the factors I was considering with my last purchase; change formats, change brands, go from APS-C to Full frame, etc. It was very hard to make an objective decision because I don't spend a significant amount of time around the different models, brands and types. I'm also mindful that what I might find acceptable as an amateur almost certainly wouldn't cut it for someone in the industry.

I ended up trading a lens and extender for a used OMD EM5 and a couple of lens. Overall I've been please with the results now that I have the camera set up close to how I want it. I went to a minor league ball game over the weekend and I was amazed as to how well it did. I loved that for the weight of my 1d2n I had 4 lens and the camera body with me. The biggest hurdle is knowing what the camera is capable of doing and how to use it to its fullest. I would love to have a 5d3 or 1dx but my wallet can't handle it right now. Will I get rid of my Canon gear, I don't think any time soon but I do like the mirror less cameras and what they and the mft can offer and are capable of.

Top Bottom