What's new

Ready for my next Brush!

So, I have been wet shaving for about 2 months now and I have quickly filled my shave den with many products. I only have two brushes currently, which are the Tweezerman and a Semogue 1460. Both brushes have worked well but I think I am ready to purchase a new brush of higher quality. I was looking for any suggestions on what my next brush should be. I want a badger brush since I'm still getting used to the boar brush that I have. Don't think it is fully broken in yet so I will stick with that one for now. Also, keep in mind that I would like to keep the purchase between $50-100.

Happy Shaving! :thumbup:

Well, I'd recommend either a Simpson Colonel, Duke 2, or Semogue SOC super badger. These brushes deliver a lot of bang for the money.

Well, I'd recommend either a Simpson Colonel, Duke 2, or Semogue SOC super badger. These brushes deliver a lot of bang for the money.

+1 The TGN knots are quite good also. If you have not thought of it, Frank Shaving Synthetics are great brushes for the money and the lather they produce. Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I took a look at the Semogue SOC which look really nice. The cherry wood especially. Keep the suggestions coming, I still have sometime before I make my purchase.

Nothing that says Simpsons on it to start with.....Id go Savile row 3824, Shavemac, DO1 or Finest, whatever you can afford, or just get an Omega boar brush for < $20 and will outperform the best of badgers IMO.

SOC 2-band is great, as are the TGN finest knots. There are some great brush makers on here. Check out Rudy Vey or Bob Farvour; both do custom work for a very good price.

Do you bowl or face lather? What size brush are you looking for? Something the size of what you have? Bigger? Smaller?

Do you bowl or face lather? What size brush are you looking for? Something the size of what you have? Bigger? Smaller?

I mostly face lather but I just got a soap bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery so I have been trying bowl lathering, so I guess both. As for size of brush I'd like something about the same size as a Tweezerman or bigger.

For $50 its an easy choice for me a TGN Silvertip Grade A or a Finest Extra Stuffed in a custom handle. The STA will be softer and while the Finest will have more backbone but slightly less of a luxury feel. I face lather exclusively and have several of the Finest and a STA in my den. I love both, but am more fond of the finest. As for a brush maker, there are several active vendors and hobbyists on B&B that are all good. Take a look at the marketplace and see if any handles catch your eye.

You can spend more on a big name brush, but honestly until you spend well over $100 you wont get that much better of a brush IMO. Even then its really only extra density or some exotic (but possibly no better) grade of hair.

Loric, I appreciate the advice. I definitely interested in checking out some of the vendors on B&B. sgtd has suggested Rudy Vey or Bob Farvour, do you have any other suggestions ? I wasn't able to find a site or profile for Bob Farvour. :huh:

Both of them are top notch. I would also talk to Derutium. I have worked with all three and they are all classy guys. Rudy is the rock on B&B, he does amazing work and has someone who can make just about any color blank you can think of for him. Though his rates are slightly higher. Derutium and Bob Favour are a touch cheaper, and both seem to have a lot of nice blanks on hand though.

I know you said Badger, but I'd like to throw two other brushes out there too. Both the EcoTools Bamboo Brush and a custom FS Synthetic, you could buy one or both with your left over budget after your custom, and both are top notch brushes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom