What's new

RazoRock Hawk "A" vs Regular Hawk with Pro Super Blades

I have the stainless steel Hawk V3 with the standard base plate. I find that it is not efficient enough when I use Feather Pro or Shick Proline blades. If I use a Feather Pro Super I get excellent shaves, although the blade feel is more pronounced than I prefer. I'm wondering how the aggressive "A" plate with a Feather Pro or Proline compares to the standard plate with the Pro Super. If somebody has both the standard and A plate and some Pro Super blades, I would be very interested to hear about that comparison. I recognize it's a long shot, and I'll most likely just have to go out and buy the A plate, but I figured someone out there might be able to provide some advice.

I have only the SS Hawk V3 A and I find that it shaves just about perfect for me with a Schick Proline and I do not find it aggressive at all. I prefer the Schick Prolines over the Feather Pros and Dorco AC blades by a wide margin. I have not tried Feather Pro Supers yet.

I also have the Hawk V2 but I much prefer the SS Hawk V3 A. The V2 is a bit too mild but maybe a Feather Pro Super will work well in it.

I only use Pro Super blades with my Hawk A and the shaves have been spectacular. I like blade feel and these hit the spot. The extra 3 mm width makes the difference.

I have all three plates for the Hawk V3. I looked through my shaving notes and I had noted that I like the Pro Super better with the standard plate than with the A plate. The Pro Super with the standard plate was more efficient than the Pro blades with the A plate (but I think the Pro blades with the A plate were more comfortable). I did have a good shave with the Pro line blade with the OC plate. I think once I picked up the A plate, that became the plate I used for most of my shaves with the Hawk V3. The A plate is not that aggressive, it just works better/is more efficient. I found the OC plate felt more aggressive then the A plate. I was not able to get a closer shave with the Hawk than when I used the Pro Super with the standard plate.

I have all three plates for the Hawk V3. I looked through my shaving notes and I had noted that I like the Pro Super better with the standard plate than with the A plate. The Pro Super with the standard plate was more efficient than the Pro blades with the A plate (but I think the Pro blades with the A plate were more comfortable). I did have a good shave with the Pro line blade with the OC plate. I think once I picked up the A plate, that became the plate I used for most of my shaves with the Hawk V3. The A plate is not that aggressive, it just works better/is more efficient. I found the OC plate felt more aggressive then the A plate. I was not able to get a closer shave with the Hawk than when I used the Pro Super with the standard plate.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I find that the combination of the Pro Super and the standard plate gives me great shaves, but it's not the most comfortable razor I own. It isn't uncomfortable or unpleasant, and I never get cuts, nicks or irritation, but it does make me feel as if I need to pay close attention to what I'm doing. As a result I don't use it as often as some other razors. But I wouldn't want to go with the A plate and a Pro blade if it didn't shave as close as the Pro Super with the regular plate.

Top Bottom