What's new

Razorock Game Changer vs Rockwell 6S

Blade: FEATHER

Shaving Soap: Castle Forbes 1445 SHAVING SOAP

Razor RAZOROCK GAMECHANGER using 82 and 68 baseplates, ROCKWELL 6S with #4 baseblate

RESULTS:

Razorock (hereafter RR) GameChanger with 82P baseplate: BBS with very slight stubble the next morning

Rockwell 6S with #4 baseplate: DFS++ with a bit of stubble at the end of the day

Razorock GameChanger with 68P baseplate: a bit of stubble felt by late afternoon

COMMENTS:
The RR is slimmer and lighter than the Rockwell and feels therefore more maneuverable. The Rockwell feels bulkier. However when switching from the Rockwell to the RR, I must constantly remind myself to use a lighter and slower hand otherwise I'll nick myself for the first shave and no nicks with subsequent shaves. If one wants a very fast shave then go for the Rockwell. They're both very fine razors however and I'm going to stay with the RR. I am pushing 70 years old and have been complemented that I look 40 with the complexion of a 16 year old. It's genetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your impressions. I could never get the Rockwell to work too well for me. There's something about the safety bar that my whiskers and skin don't like.

Blade: FEATHER

Shaving Soap: TRUEFITT AND HILL 1445 SHAVING SOAP

Razor RAZOROCK GAMECHANGER using 82 and 68 baseplates, ROCKWELL 6S with #4 baseblate

RESULTS:

Razorock (hereafter RR) GameChanger with 82P baseplate: BBS with very slight stubble the next morning

Rockwell 6S with #4 baseplate: DFS++ with a bit of stubble at the end of the day

Razorock GameChanger with 68P baseplate: a bit of stubble felt by late afternoon

COMMENTS:
The RR is slimmer and lighter than the Rockwell and feels therefore more maneuverable. The Rockwell feels bulkier. However when switching from the Rockwell to the RR, I must constantly remind myself to use a lighter and slower hand otherwise I'll nick myself for the first shave and no nicks with subsequent shaves. If one wants a very fast shave then go for the Rockwell. They're both very fine razors however and I'm going to stay with the RR. I am pushing 70 years old and have been complemented that I look 40 with the complexion of a 16 year old. It's genetics.
We have our similarities; our age, we both have a Rockwell 6C and a Game Changer. And, of course, stunning good looks. LOL
If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Rockwell by a whisker because of its adjustability but the Game Changer handles a tad better. I think both are fantastic, my two favorite modern razors.

We have our similarities; our age, we both have a Rockwell 6C and a Game Changer. And, of course, stunning good looks. LOL
If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Rockwell by a whisker because of its adjustability but the Game Changer handles a tad better. I think both are fantastic, my two favorite modern razors.
My previous post edited. The soap is CASTLE FORBES 1445 and not TRUEFITT AND HILL. Upper case used for emphasis and I'm not shouting.

I don't have a Rockwell. I do have a GC 84-P and a Lupo .95. I also had a GC 68-P, but it was a little too mild, even for me. I gave it to a young man starting DE shaving.

I get DFS/BBS shave from both razors, with the Lupo .95 being a bit more 'Efficient'.

I'm a big RR 'Fanboy'. Yes, I admit it.

b/r

ON_1

I have the GC 84-P, GC 68-P, and the Rockwell 6S (mostly use baseplate #3). All are great razors, but the GC 68-P is my clear favorite. The 6S is a big beast that I like using occasionally, but prefer the lighter and more maneuverable GC razors.

I seem to get the same final results with both gaps of the GC, with the difference being that the 84 just takes more off on the first pass, but by the end of the second pass, the 68 has caught up.

I have experiences with the Gamechanger 0.84 and 0.68 as well as with the Rockwell 6s.
The 0.68 Gamechanger is in a similar region like the mühle R89
The 0.84, after lots if tests, is too aggressive for me
My favourite is the Rockwell 6s R3. The Gamechanger 0.68 is more feeling like a plate 4.
IMHO the key difference is the blade exposure. It's positive on the Gamechangers according to razorock. The Rockwell feel almost neutral,which makes shaves smoother for me.

I have used a Rockwell 6s for 4 years and it has been my main daily driver on plate 3. I have often wished for a touch more efficiency (and yes I have tried a number of blades) but I find the #4 plate a bit too much for everyday shaving (on my skin). Discovering Martin de Candre soap was a revelation as this got more efficency out of the #3 plate for reasons I don't fully understand. I recently aquired the Gamechanger .68P and am having a really good time with it so far. In terms of efficiency, - it's the 3.5 plate I've always wanted!

Nice review. These have been my two main razors for years, and both are very good. For me the biggest difference is weight. If you want a heavy razor, the 6S is 118 grams. The Gamechanger with the original RR titanium handle is only 73 grams. As for cosmetics, I don't like the Rockwell's matte finish. Soap sticks to it tenaciously. Otherwise, it's hard to complain about either. I use the 6S with plates 3 or 4, and the Gamechanger 68 when shaving every day. If I skip a few days, the 84 seems a bit more efficient.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have 6s and GC too.

For me the GC 68OC plate is the winner, maintaining the smoothness of the 68 while being as efficient as the 84.
I also paired it with a titanium handle to further configure the gentle handling with weight.

GC 84 is a bit too much for my skin for daily shaving. The 6S is indeed comfortable, but it is too heavy for me to shave my head, adding to the burden of holding my arms high for a long time, and it also slightly lacks my preferred aesthetics.

I own both the 6S and GC 84. My Rockwell was my first modern razor after using various vintage superspeeds, techs, and Gillette NEWs. I used the Rockwell for a couple of years before I started getting other modern razors. I never touch my 6S anymore. Plate 6 is not efficient enough, and it's big and heavy. The number one reason by far is the lack of efficiency. I tried it again about a year ago, and it was just the same old disappointing shave.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Game Changer lineup offers more. OC, JAWS, .68, .84 and lately even the .76 gap.
Better finish, full CNC, not MIM. Choice of handles.

The Rockwell 6S was one of the first stainless steel razors, the first readily available and reasonably priced SS razor for many. By now it is looking a bit dated, IMO.

Always got weird shaves with both GCs. More blade feel but not so good post shave results.
Apparently we are in the minority, but I agree on the GC84-P. It was difficult to get a close, comfortable shave with the Gamechanger. Never tried the Rockwell due to bulky head and price point, although there is honestly nothing wrong with a well-built chrome razor. You can learn how to work tight areas with most razors and lots of people seem to love how the Rockwell shaves.

The Gamechanger's solid bar bounced all over my stubble while still managing to squeegee most of the soap off, and despite the positive blade exposure it seemed to offer little blade feel, resulting in irritated skin and a shave that was not particularly close. I'm no genius but just couldn't figure this razor out!

The open comb might have been better, but hindsight says it is probably a better razor for someone with a more rounded/full face. No complaints about the build quality or appearance. My ideal razor would actually be a touch lighter, but a GC with a stock stainless Razorock handle is balanced, well-built, and looks nice/classic IMO.

Switched to Lupo 95 OC and SB. Both versions immediately felt like old friends in comparison to the GC, regardless of the blade or how clumsy the operator was that day. The Open Comb is surprisingly smooth on face and the scalloped solid bar is happily daily driving with 2 passes. Lupo "nostril notches" and additional blade support are subtle improvements over the gamechanger at the expense of aesthetics, so I'd choose between the two lines based on geometry instead of these considerations. From memory, I believe all of the Lupos have more blade exposure for any given gap compared to their Gamechanger counterparts. I even grabbed a Lupo 58, and whether one prefers a mild or aggressive razor, a lot of the mannerisms are the same. Definitely a line worth considering.

Top Bottom