What's new

Razor Wisdom from the Eighteenth Century

I own a few razors from the late 1700s / early 1800s. I look forward to reading this with great interest. Thanks for posting this great information!

It's actually kind of refreshing to note that there was still bickering going in the 18th century - the time when everyone used a straight. Even then, people differed greatly on their opinions what was necessary and what wasn't, what worked well and what didn't. Very informative read.

But didn't I read in this article that he thought a razor strap was unnecessary or even bad for the edge? Boy, he must have ruffled some feathers with that pronouncement.

It's actually kind of refreshing to note that there was still bickering going in the 18th century - the time when everyone used a straight. Even then, people differed greatly on their opinions what was necessary and what wasn't, what worked well and what didn't. Very informative read.

But didn't I read in this article that he thought a razor strap was unnecessary or even bad for the edge? Boy, he must have ruffled some feathers with that pronouncement.

Nah, I think you skimmed a bit too fast lol. Well kind of. Read it again, his "humor" me thinks is a hard translation lol.

Okay, I've finished sections three and four, but I cannot edit my reserved posts. Is it possible for a mod to allow me to bypass the time restriction?

Finished the last section as well, just waiting to see if I'm allowed to post them in the right spots. I didn't know about the time limit on edits, thought I could just do what the vendors do.

Legion

Staff member
Yes, PM a mod. They will be able to get around the time restriction, I'm sure.

I'll put in a help request as well and see if I can get it organised.

Yes, PM a mod. They will be able to get around the time restriction, I'm sure.

I'll put in a help request as well and see if I can get it organised.

Did you contact a mod or a steward?

Sure, that would be great if either of you guys would do that. I was going to wait until morning (USA) for fear of being regarded as intrusive or impatient, but if you know someone who can take care of it it now, that would be perfect.

Edit: Nevermind, David (Earcutter). Problem solved, but thanks for offering. Thanks also to David (legion) and Franz.

Last edited:
Well, that does it!

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks again, David and Franz, for your help.

Fantastic - about to read 3 & 4!! Thanks dirkstuan for taking the time and sharing!! I get a real kick out of this guys writings - as i am sure you did as well.

Section 3 has me thinking paddle strop all the way – I mean nothing is flatter than a paddle. Moreover, if you buy into what he says then you’ll have to lift the spine off the strop when working the blade to get the teeth going the right direction – and that’ll be weird and probably best done on a paddle for me lol. I finally have a nice strop that I haven’t nicked yet, and I want it to stay that way lol!

I'll give it a shot - I wonder if I am even "good enough" to notice. Worth a try.

Section 3 has me thinking paddle strop all the way – I mean nothing is flatter than a paddle. Moreover, if you buy into what he says then you’ll have to lift the spine off the strop when working the blade to get the teeth going the right direction – and that’ll be weird and probably best done on a paddle for me lol. I finally have a nice strop that I haven’t nicked yet, and I want it to stay that way lol!

I'll give it a shot - I wonder if I am even "good enough" to notice. Worth a try.

I don't know about lifting the spine, David. Remember, he says:

"The first thing to be attended to is to keep the razor perfectly flat on the strap during the whole time of strapping. The reason for this direction is . . . that, if the back is raised, the extremity of the edge will be too much affected by the leather and the composition, and, together with it's roughness, will be deprived of it's keenness."

You're right that his main piece advice seems to be keeping the strop as flat as possible, and I think Kingsbury would much prefer a paddle strop to a hanging strop. I don't think the latter was used much at all during his time, because when he talks about the perils of elasticity, he focuses on strops sold with bases of flexible wood.

The method of stropping that he advocates is not too dissimilar to what most do here, but he recommends moving the razor "obliquely across the strap from the point to the shoulder." If I'm interpreting that correctly, it means keeping the razor's edge somewhat parallel to the bottom of the strap, and, starting with the point on the strop, moving diagonally upward to the left (if you're right handed). Upon reaching the top of the strop, with the point now hanging over the edge, reset its position while turning the spine so that the point is resting on the right side, then pull diagonally downward to the left, "point to the shoulder," resetting again at the bottom and repeating.

To further recap, always moving "point to shoulder" on the strop, according to Kingsbury, will eventually shape the "teeth" so that, they point very slightly towards the heel (such as with a saw), allowing the edge to cut much more efficiently when drawn obliquely away from the ear while shaving.

Anyway, I'll definitely be trying this out with the next razor I hone. If anyone got something different out of it, please correct or add to what I've said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom