What's new

Razor vs. Shavette

I am new to wet shaving in general but have learned to enjoy the ceremony of shaving with a DE razor. I have started to enjoy making my own lather as well, so naturally this has peaked my curiosity. When I first started shaving with a DE razor, I bought cheap hardware because I was not sure if I was going to enjoy it. Now that I want to try this out, I have been looking at shavettes because it is a cheap way for me to test the waters. However based on research, I understand that shavettes are not as forgiving. Would you recommend that I try a shavette first or just make the investment and go with an actual straight razor? I have a round face and don't have any equipment so I would be starting from scratch. Thanks in advance for your advise.

The skill requirements for SRs and shavettes are fairly similar, but the shave experience is a bit different. DE bladed shavettes, though inexpensive, can be very harsh if you aren’t careful.

It really is a little bit of an investment either way, but I’d say try and get a good starter SR and strop set from a quality place like Whipped Dog.

Each to their own. As a total beginner I would recommend a decent quality shavette like a feather. That way you can work on technique instead of everything else involved with maintaining traditional straights. I agree that shavettes arent as forgiving but in all honestly I think the SS are pretty good. If you dont like it sell it, you probably wont loose much. If you like it buy a true shave ready traditional straight & slowely start adding decent quality equipment because lets face it once you can use a shavette well its a smooth transition to traditional straights..

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found a straight much easier and safer than a shavette, however, the maintenance issue is considerable for a beginner. Maintenance isn’t really difficult but you should learn to shave before you get distracted with honing/stropping.

I think it depends on your level of motivation. A DE shavette can be used to test the waters (or forever) but the learning curve is highest. A traditional straight is nice but at some point before you have mastered it, the edge will need refreshing, so is this also something you are able to spend time learning how to do. A Feather AC is sort of a middle ground where some people like them and others do not.

I found a straight much easier and safer than a shavette, however, the maintenance issue is considerable for a beginner. Maintenance isn’t really difficult but you should learn to shave before you get distracted with honing/stropping.
The concepts of honing and stropping were overwhelming before your help. I'd like to see others experience using a SR and be able to learn to maintain. As you say, it is not difficult.

You can pick up a Fromm hair shaper razor and just remove the guard for around $7.00 at Sally’s. I also like the Fromm brand hair shaper blades.
Even though I shave almost exclusively with a SR I’ll use the Fromm occasionally and it’s cheap and can be a readily available intro to straights.
I think that a good hair shaper blade is a decent compromise between a shavette that use half a DE blade & an actual SR.

You can pick up a Fromm hair shaper razor and just remove the guard for around $7.00 at Sally’s. I also like the Fromm brand hair shaper blades.
Even though I shave almost exclusively with a SR I’ll use the Fromm occasionally and it’s cheap and can be a readily available intro to straights.
I think that a good hair shaper blade is a decent compromise between a shavette that use half a DE blade & an actual SR.
I will check it out. I actually found a Feather type artist club clone on alixpr3ss which I may use to get me started. Hopefully it doesn't take that long to get here.

I also started this way. I have a Parker hair shaper with no guard. Blades are $1 a piece at Sally’s. You don’t have the SR maintenance to worry with. But you have to have better technique with the shavette.

Some people are honestly just pre wired for SR/ shavette use. I switched to a shavette within 2 weeks of getting started w/ DE & never really looked back...

I’m happy I started with a shavette because i knew the blade was sharp so any problems were my technique or poor angle.

Also, I’m happy I chose the Feather folding SS. I use it when traveling and sometimes just for fun. Nice feel!

I ended up getting one of the Feather clones but have been waiting for it to arrive in the mail. The hair on my chin will remain until it arrives.

Top Bottom