What's new

Razor suggestion

Hi All,

I have been DE shaving for a few years, started with a Merkur 23c and then purchased a Fatip Piccolo a few years back.
I find the Merkur to be extremely mild, while the Fatip shows some good aggressiveness, so that I the to get a few nicks on the second pass. So, in the market for a third razor!

I like the idea of a slant, with aggressiveness somewhat in between the 23c and the Fatip Piccolo.
A little research shows Merkur 37c and Ikon slant to be obvious choices, but what do you guys reckon? There isn't really a budget, as long as things are justified (materials, design, etc...).

What would you guys suggest?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest a change of angle with the Fatip. If you're seeing blood the angle/pressure combination isnt where it needs to be.

Try using it very shallow. I push the cap into my skin to get the ideal angle of edge to skin. The red line in the picture below. The green line being the neutral design angle.

IMG_2182 (2).JPG

Used at that angle I feel nothing and hear very little. I gather from what you've said that you appreciate efficiency. I dont personally believe there is a more efficient DE than the OC Fatip. It is, by far, the most efficient DE I've used.

If you still want another razor I'd suggest an SE. My GEM MMOC is twice as efficient as my Grande and even smoother.

Thanks! To be honest I am still loving my Fatip. Just I dropped once and lost one of the little knobs that keep the head in place. Still working, just I have to be very careful aligning the blade. The other day I reused the 23c after so long and I found it so dull, but also at the same time no nicks. So I was thinking...maybe a razor that fit between these two?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks! To be honest I am still loving my Fatip. Just I dropped once and lost one of the little knobs that keep the head in place. Still working, just I have to be very careful aligning the blade. The other day I reused the 23c after so long and I found it so dull, but also at the same time no nicks. So I was thinking...maybe a razor that fit between these two?

The alignment pins are soldered on. If you found it or do find it, it could be soldered on again with a little care.

A Gillette NEW SC(Short Comb) or LC(Long Comb) or Old Type would be a good choice. Either would fit nicely between. A Gillette Slim would too.

As for modern razors, theres always the RR Tech II as a mild forgiving razor and the RR Game Changer is a popular choice when they're in stock.

For a low cost modern SE, you might look at the RR Hawk.

thanks! forgot to add - I like short fat handles for my next one. Do slants make sense?
Yes they do
Get yourself Ikon X3 head and there are many handles made by different companies which will fit so there's no problem finding one with length and diameter and weight you need

Yes they do
Get yourself Ikon X3 head and there are many handles made by different companies which will fit so there's no problem finding one with length and diameter and weight you need

thank you. Is the X3 much better than the Ikon 102 and the Merkur 37c? I am trying to understand where the price disparity comes from...

Since we are on the subject...where can I find some good and interesting looking handles?
I figure it might make sense to buy the handle I like, and then swap heads.

A slant or two would definitely be worth a try (even if they did not work out that well for me)!

I would also add Weber to the list of handle options. I especially like their bulldog. The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a14::a14:

Since we are on the subject...where can I find some good and interesting looking handles?
I figure it might make sense to buy the handle I like, and then swap heads.
Some companies are selling their handles separately, Maggard and West Coast Shaving sell their own as well as handles made by different companies

Welcome to B&B.
I find the Merkur to be extremely mild, while the Fatip shows some good aggressiveness, so that I the to get a few nicks on the second pass. So, in the market for a third razor!
Seems like you have the Mk1 Piccolo with the 18mm cap width which is aggressive. Your technique needs improvement is you are getting nicks. The Fatip Mk2 head has a wider cap making it less aggressive and is worth considering. If you want a thicker handle the Grande may be what you are looking for; it is also has compatible threads with your Piccolo handle.
I like the slant bar Merkur 37C and that is razor worth considering. It is a 2-piece razor with a handle diameter that suits your preference.

Welcome to B&B.

Seems like you have the Mk1 Piccolo with the 18mm cap width which is aggressive. Your technique needs improvement is you are getting nicks. The Fatip Mk2 head has a wider cap making it less aggressive and is worth considering. If you want a thicker handle the Grande may be what you are looking for; it is also has compatible threads with your Piccolo handle.
I like the slant bar Merkur 37C and that is razor worth considering. It is a 2-piece razor with a handle diameter that suits your preference.

Yes, I am pretty sure I have the aggressive Piccolo. It is a great razor, especially for what I paid for it. Just sometimes if I am in a rush I tend to make mistakes - especially because I am using feather blades. And since I bought a bucket of those blades, it is a good opportunity to try something in the middle.

None of you guys have mentioned ATT.... are they worth the price? I understand the difference there is the material.

ponch10 - where are you, USA, Canada or somewhere else? Helps to know in terms of where you get things.

I completely agree that a really good handle would help you. You have the Fatip base plate, and you can keep using that with another top cap and handle, in this case go to the usual M5 thread (Fatip is M4.5 I think). Top caps that will fit include Gillette Old Type, Yintal Bronze and a lot of other cheap razors off AliExpress like Yaqi - anything with the 2 stud fixing.

If you like wider handles, a nice titanium one could be your "keeper" handle. I bought mine from Evgeny Koshelev, rusdrunkbear on eBay. You can see here my Fatip baseplate with titanium handle and Yintal Bronze top cap. Titanium handles come out at around 50g. A Bulldog stainless handle, which is also nice, weighs 70g in 80mm.

Fatip Titanium1.jpg

ponch10 - where are you, USA, Canada or somewhere else? Helps to know in terms of where you get things.

I completely agree that a really good handle would help you. You have the Fatip base plate, and you can keep using that with another top cap and handle, in this case go to the usual M5 thread (Fatip is M4.5 I think). Top caps that will fit include Gillette Old Type, Yintal Bronze and a lot of other cheap razors off AliExpress like Yaqi - anything with the 2 stud fixing.

If you like wider handles, a nice titanium one could be your "keeper" handle. I bought mine from Evgeny Koshelev, rusdrunkbear on eBay. You can see here my Fatip baseplate with titanium handle and Yintal Bronze top cap. Titanium handles come out at around 50g. A Bulldog stainless handle, which is also nice, weighs 70g in 80mm.

View attachment 966397

hi, and excellent points.
I am in the UK, but travel to the US a few times a year and I will probably going to make my purchase there, since it is cheaper.
I have actually tried replacing the cap with a spare Merkur I had. I wonder though if this will affect the aggressiveness of the head? The Merkur cap fits, but it is different than the Piccolo's.

I am seriously considering an ATT Slant as in the US they are much cheaper than the UK - I wouldn't say good value, but if it has to be THE razor...

hi, and excellent points.
I am in the UK, but travel to the US a few times a year and I will probably going to make my purchase there, since it is cheaper.
I have actually tried replacing the cap with a spare Merkur I had. I wonder though if this will affect the aggressiveness of the head? The Merkur cap fits, but it is different than the Piccolo's.

I am seriously considering an ATT Slant as in the US they are much cheaper than the UK - I wouldn't say good value, but if it has to be THE razor...
I don't have The Picollo but have Ikon X3 Slant Head and have ATT Slant head with both base plates coming this week so I can compare them side by side. I have sensitive skin and very short hard facial hair and hopefully S2 Open Comb base plate will not be too aggressive for me

I hear Blackland is coming out with a slant razor in the near future. I'm sure it will be a cool design like the rest of his stuff. I use a Blackbird and it has become my daily driver since I got it. Maybe something you'd be interested in.

Top Bottom