What's new

Rare Single Ring?

My Ebay Single Ring came today, I have never seen anything like this one. It has the serial number on the barrel of the handle (F251016) diamond and arrow logo under the cap and on the top of the head.

That is weird and amazing all at once! I think we need Achim! Is the comb plate as bent as it looks in the pictures?

The description on the bottom of the box talks about guineas (sp?). I would guess that it is a US made Single Ring for the British market. Just a guess though!

Edit: Doesn't say Made in US anywhere. Could be a British made razor then. Another guess!

The description on the bottom of the box talks about guineas (sp?). I would guess that it is a US made Single Ring for the British market. Just a guess though!

Edit: Doesn't say Made in US anywhere. Could be a British made razor then. Another guess!

Exactly what I was thinking :)

It does seem to have a strange camber to the head. I think it could be bent, I don't see any sign of any impact to the razor. This one is just going to be displayed so it really is not anything I am to concerned with .

I will defer to the experts on this, but it does not look to me like this razor was damaged. the curve is simply to even for me to think that the curve is not part of the design, also the cap seems to fit the curve just fine.

It is a real beauty.

My Bulldog has the same sort of "bow" to the head. Maybe not as much. The cap also seems to match, though I sometimes wonder if it does or does not fit better in one direction than the other. Oddly, it is also from the same year (that is if the serial number here fits the conventional US scheme- though I am sure that's just coincidence).

I suspected also that this is not US made. Too many differences from the standard of which many examples are available.

The bow looks even in person, its hard to capture it in a picture without it looking like one side is more bowed then the other. Stamped on the inner barrel is Nov.15.04.N .
The razor also has the G in the D stamped on the back of the head

It is definitely British. The 1902 British patent 28763 is for the "Improvements in or relating to Safety or other Razors".

I´m confused :confused1 The case says (british) Pat. 28763 from 1902 and the razors says on the barrel Pat. Nov.15.04. Is this a US made razor in a british case?

Hello, I bring up this old thread because I have a similar set, my razor is just alike the one pictured above, while the box differs in some details.
Has someone managed to tell what's the story of this british-american razor?
Is it possible to date it by the serial number?
Here are some pictures:
$IMG_1228.jpg
$IMG_1229.jpg
$IMG_1230.jpg
$IMG_1231.jpg
$IMG_1232.jpg

I have one the same as this with an E serial number (possibly E for england?)
I posted a thread about it, and I was told it was likely to be among the first gillette's made in england and date to 1918 ish.

proxy.php

While Gillette patented the razor design in England in 1902, they did not go into production there right away. It was 1905 before they established a sales office and blade manufacturing operation; razors themselves came to be made later. (From what I have read, Gillette almost lost their British patent protection by not having a factory established, and set up the blade plant as a qualifier.) The early razors sold in England were assembled there from US-made parts. The stamping of the trade mark on both the cap and plate pieces were to protect both pieces under the British patent. The G in D mark appears on Gillette silver-plated items sold in the European market.

The Nov 4 1904 stamping means nothing in the European market, since that is the US patent date. Inside the assembly, it was out of sight while the larger trademark stamping was visible when the razor was assembled. The stuffy legal wording on the bottom of the case was also to satisfy British legal and patent requirements.

Top Bottom