What's new

Rangefinder - Leica or Voightlander

I'm thinking I'd like to get a more "modern" rangefinder than the Retina IIc and Signet 80 that I have. By modern I mean bigger, clearer viewfinder as well as a built in light meter. I was able to mess around with an original Bessa R several weeks ago and was instantly in love with the better viewfinder, rangefinder, and meter. The camera itself was good enough, but you could tell that the build quality mediocre. My reason for looking into one is that I want something that I can take on vacation with me, or just for bumming around, that doesn't take up a lot of space and lends itself to those spur of the moment shots that my film SLR doesn't necessarily do. On that note:

I've done some research and have been looking hard at a Bessa R2A. It has the 35mm and 50mm framelines that I would be using most (especially the 35mm) as well as the meter and auto-exposure if I care. The R3A is the same camera with different framelines. They evidently made/make both in manual which is intriguing as only the meter is battery dependent, but I know from experience that the AE can be nice for the quick shot.

I'd be looking at getting a used body and most likely the CV 35mm f2.5 color-skopar lens for it to start. Now for the big question. Why would I not just save up longer for a Leica M6, other than the price used is 3-4x as much for the body alone and I don't know if the CV lens would do it justice? I've heard the M2 is a great camera for 35mm lenses, but I'm not sure I want to carry around a separate meter because it defeats the purpose of quick shots and space saving.

Any suggestions at this point to help add to the collective decision pile?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Voightlander was always called the poor man's Leica. They have good build quality and a terrific lens. I have an old Vito B somewhere.

Legion

Staff member
Voightlander will be better "value", but there is no substitute for an M Leica. It's a bit like asking should I get a Seiko or a Rolex? The Seiko is going to keep good time, not cause you too much stress when you are carrying it, and cost a bunch less money. But...

It is down to your budget. A good working film M will still cost you a packet, but it will literally last a lifetime, and will make you smile every time you use it. It would be a luxury purchase, though.

I was faced with the same decision about five years ago. I went with the Leica M6.

As good as the Voigtlander is, I knew in my heart I'd still lust after the Leica. As for the choice between an M2/M3 vs M6, the purist in me said M2 but the practical side said M6. I got the M6 and couldn't be happier. It was the right decision for the reasons you describe.

Now the real and only important decision is silver or black :)

Edited: Need to note, this is another AD slippery slope. Wait until you start looking at lenses. Your wallet will hate you (not to mention SWMBO). I bought mine used from Tamarkin. No affiliation but they're good people and will take care of you.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I've owned several Leica's over the years, and a number of other nice range finders. I still have an M3 single stroke, and an M6, which was the only one I bought new.

If you want classic, get an M3. Those are just nice machines. An M6 or an MP would probably be my choice if I was to want a camera to use every day. But really it comes down to the glass. Do you want a summilux or a summicron? You have almost doubled your budget right there.

The thing with Leica is, the camera's have changed very little since the 60's. M3,4,5(? that was an odd one), 6, MP.... they are quite similar cameras. As long as they are in good working order, get what you can find at a good price.

The lenses? That is what you need to be budgeting around. Are you happy with just a 50mm? Do you need more? What f-stop?? Rabbit hole.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Leica reminds me of the days when magnificently crafted objects were expected at the high end. Now the goal is lighter, thinner, and cheaper with the emphasis on features.

There's a reason some guys are nuts for old Leicas, Rolleis, and Hasselblads- they're for handing down through the generations (if you can find film, that is).

I like my hasselblad, I like my rollei 35SE, I want a Rolleiflex 2.8C... But when it comes to rangefinders, if I was going to get one it would be either Leica M6/MP or Zeiss Ikon ZM. Both will cost you about the same. http://www.kenrockwell.com/zeiss/ikon.htm

I like how both of them look. The issue with M6 is that it need mercury batteries. Zeiss uses modern batteries. But don't forget, good lenses are a lot more important than good bodies.

The issue with M6 is that it need mercury batteries. Zeiss uses modern batteries.

For the sake of clarification... I don't think this is accurate. The Leica M6 takes standard alkaline or newer lithium batteries.

Two (2) SR44 (76S) 1.55V silver batteries or one (1) DL76 lithium. Both are widely available and fairly inexpensive.

Legion

Staff member
For the sake of clarification... I don't think this is accurate. The Leica M6 takes standard alkaline or newer lithium batteries.

Two (2) SR44 (76S) 1.55V silver batteries or one (1) DL76 lithium. Both are widely available and fairly inexpensive.

This is true. And all the batteries run is the light meter. Mechanical shutter.

So, in the interest of science :001_tongu, what would a used M6 cost that was not in need of a CLA?

Legion

Staff member
yeah, for a nice example about two for the body, two for the lens. You can get the bodies for less on ebay, but for something that expensive I'd want some sort of warranty.

I've looked a little at some of the ones Sherry Krauter has for sale. I'm sure they would be reliable. A little more $$$, but I read that she is as good as they come for repair.

A guy on RFF has an R2A for sale right now. Unfortunately I'm a little short. If he had it up in a couple of months I'd be very interested.

I have a 1952 Leica 11f with a 50 mm F 3.5 Leitz Elmar, collapsible lens. Photos are excellent.

No meter...so I carry my trusty old Sekonic hand held meter...or I just guestimate the meter reading.

I've had this old...dented Leica Rangefinder for 31 years...bought it used...never spent a penny other than film and the original purchase price. Think it cost me around $ 375 back then. You can get a nice Leica M 3 for not a lot.

My advice....get a Leica Rangefinder....they're built like tanks....German ones. A Voightlander....doesn't have the charisma of a Leica.

I have an M2 and box full of FEDs.

Save the money. Forget about the camera as an end. Buy a bunch of film, and shoot.

The photographer isn't in the camera. The camera catches light; the photographer catches life.

I have an M2 and box full of FEDs.

Save the money. Forget about the camera as an end. Buy a bunch of film, and shoot.

The photographer isn't in the camera. The camera catches light; the photographer catches life.

There is a lot of truth in that. But, I would really like to have the larger, brighter viewfinder. With my poor vision I need all the help I can get!

Legion

Staff member
There is a lot of truth in that. But, I would really like to have the larger, brighter viewfinder. With my poor vision I need all the help I can get!

I hear you. I like my Fuji, but I miss the viewfinder on the Leica's. Or rather, I miss the viewfinder plus the range finder. I could have gone with the Xpro1, but without the range finder there didn't seem much point. Having that extra space visible around the image area is a big help to composition, as well. If nothing else, it "tricks" you into cropping the image tighter, and IMO that is usually not a bad thing.

Top Bottom