What's new

Ramblings of a Recovering RAD/SRAD/SBAD Sufferer

In the October 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME) thread, I admitted to being on a brush, razor, blade and gear buying thread and that I needed GRUME. @naughtilus and my other brethren gently admonished me for not appreciating the gear that I already have. Additionally, @FoolishMortal suggested a razor & blade pairing journal, hence how I’ve gotten here. This thread will be my shave journal for the month of October. My apologies up front for any boredom that results.

Now, on with GRUME, Tabactober and OCtober …

Mortal Kombat: Steel Wool Stubble vs. Crystal Blade (1)

Shave #1: Today’s shave consisted of the following gear:

Brush: Omega Boar 81052
Razor: Fatip Grande Classic Original in Metal Black
Blade: Crystal (1)
Soap: Tabac Original
Post-Shave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel and Tabac Original Aftershave Lotion

First, I’m lovin’ the Tabac. I didn’t like the scent at first (10 years ago), but it has become one of my favorite scents. It is going to be great using it all month long.

I recently bought the Fatip Grande. It’s my first OC razor, and with my thick, sharp stubble, I was hoping the would be a step up in my shaving experience. Smooth. That is the first word that comes to mind when using that razor. I’ve used a couple of different blades in the Fatip over the last couple of weeks and I’m really enjoying it. It’s going to be a fun OCtober. :) And now, let Mortal Kombat begin!

I have NEVER used a Crystal razor blade before … like ever. I figured, knowing how the razor feels more generally, that the battle between stubble and blade with this pairing would be fun to kick off the new month. The Crystal blade was … not amazing. It was basically “meh”. It was not an awful shave on day 1, but it struggled to cut the steel wool stubble on my face, and that’s with a single day of growth. I could feel a little tugging, even in the less concentrated areas of my face and neck. That said, there were no nicks and cuts and only mild irritation, which is par for the course and it comes to me. Blades have a tendency to get a sharper after first use, so we will try this blade again tomorrow. Today though, Fatality for Crystal Blade.

Steel Wool Stubble - 1 / Crystal Blade - 0
Overall Shave Rating: 6/10

Last edited:
I commend your efforts to reign in the madness. :a16:

When you have stuff yet to use, purchases on order awaiting delivery, and you're still looking for things to buy scrolling all day through every shop imaginable, you know it's no longer about shaving. Nor is it a hobby. It's a shopping thrill addiction.

Top Bottom