What's new

Questions about sodastream

So how many use it,
What model , is there a difference

Im thinking primarily carbonating crystal light, but would also be int in diet stuff like ginger ale.

What about co2, i heard cut costs using paintball co2 and refill that way.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an original Penguin before they were bought out by sodastream, but it is the same machine just a different design. I love it. I just use it to carbonate water, I don't add anything to it.

Never heard of using paintball co2. I just exchange the cartridge at the store when it runs out. They last quite a long time. Certainly cheaper than buying sparkling water.

Old thread, but I have a sodastream. It states to only use it to carbonate water, and nothing else. Someone calculated it out once, and it is actually cheaper to buy carbonated water than it is to use a Sodastream. Only benefit for Sodastream is it is convenient, and is arguably a bit more environmentally friendly.

Just something to consider, mine has been sitting on the counter for 2years unused.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I use it from time to time. It's good to make a more natural soda for the kids, but you need to be careful which syrups you buy. Some are better than others as far as ingredients. I have been contemplating how to make my own syrups out of all natural ingredients for a couple of years but haven't done it yet.

Someone calculated it out once, and it is actually cheaper to buy carbonated water than it is to use a Sodastream.
Same here, buying bottled water is much cheaper. There's also the danger of germs if you don't clean it regularly.
The only one I know who uses sodastream (or something alike) lives in the 4th floor and the building has no lift. :biggrin1:

Old thread, but I have a sodastream. It states to only use it to carbonate water, and nothing else. Someone calculated it out once, and it is actually cheaper to buy carbonated water than it is to use a Sodastream. Only benefit for Sodastream is it is convenient, and is arguably a bit more environmentally friendly.

Just something to consider, mine has been sitting on the counter for 2years unused.

interesting thread!

me thinks, 90% of sodastreams have been idle for at least 6 months!
just my anecdotal observation!

Wife uses ours non-stop, has one in the house, one in the RV. Bought the first 3-4 years ago, when ever they first appeared at Bed & Bath. 3 CO2 bottles, always at least one empty to exchange. My concern with paintball CO2 is if there would be any impurities in it, I doubt it, but the Sodastream bottles are not that much. Carbonate the water, then add soda syrup, Kool-Aid, or whatever.

I got one some years ago and used it for some time, but it has collected dust for some years now...
my impressions:
- it does work, but the carbonated water was somewhat inconsistent
- as other mentioned you don't really save any money
- the CO2 bottles do last quite some time, but then run out without much warning
- be aware that the plastic bottles are only rated to last 2 years, spares are not cheap...(maybe different in the US)

I'd be wary about CO2 bottles for paintball - some contain a bit of oil to lubricate the mechanism inside the markers.

br,
ToM

I rarely drink fizzy water, so I really enjoy having a soda stream. It may not be cheaper than buying 2-3L bottles, but since I just want the monthly or weekly fizzy fix, it can't be beat for convenience.

I use mine almost EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

When my wife bought it I was opposed to it, and thought it was pretty stupid. I hate their syrups. They are all bad.

Here's the secret to making the Sodastream one of your most prized possessions. You go to the Torani website and you buy Torani syrups. Buy the pumps, too. The number of interesting Italian soda flavors is staggering. They are AMAZING. Put pumps into Torani syrups of your choice.

After that, you never carbonate anything but water. Plain water from the tap. Then put it into the refrigerator. Whenever you're in the mood for an Italian soda, you just get a glass, put a bit of ice in it, pour yourself some of the carbonated water, then pump in the Torani syrups to whatever strength you like best. Stir gently, close your eyes, and enjoy. Like heaven.

Italian sodas cost about $3.50 at your local coffee house. You can have them whenever you want right in your own home. The syrups are actually very reasonably priced.

This is the reason I grew to LOVE the Sodastream. No more colas, boring lemon-lime concoctions, and the like. I drink Peach soda, Mango soda, Watermelon soda, Chocolate-Mint soda, Raspberry soda, etc., etc.

I thought I'd revive this thread because this will become a big issue for me pretty soon as Philadelphia has passed a 1.5¢/ounce "soda tax" to take effect in January.

I'm curious about Sodastream's build quality, reliability, ease of use/cleaning, etc. so I might make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Decided not to do it at this time, i really wanted diet stuff, decided to stick with water, went on a diet down 50 lbs,

Did not think I would end up using it when I got it, but use it all the time. I used water filtered in Brita. I add a variety of things to the carbonated water, including Torani and simply lemon juice and sweetners, but I also end up drinking more plain carbonated water than I would otherwise Build, etc. seem fine. I do not think it saves money, but is convenient. The Sodastream syrups seem decent but expensive and I think they have effectively gone up a lot in price.

Did not think I would end up using it when I got it, but use it all the time. I used water filtered in Brita. I add a variety of things to the carbonated water, including Torani and simply lemon juice and sweetners, but I also end up drinking more plain carbonated water than I would otherwise Build, etc. seem fine. I do not think it saves money, but is convenient. The Sodastream syrups seem decent but expensive and I think they have effectively gone up a lot in price.

Thank you for this! With the new tax set to add $1 to the cost of a 2-liter bottle I'm looking into alternatives.

There seem to be a few different models of Sodastream - does it matter which one I choose?

I use an Isi Profi Whip with CO2 soda cartridges. It doubles as a Whipped Cream Dispenser too You just have to make sure to use the correct cartridges CO2 vs NO2, depending on what you are making (soda vs whipped cream).

As stated above, you can add Torani or whatever syrups you want. That way you can pick quality cane sugar syrups and not fill up on Corn Syrup and caffeine.

I love it and always have 5-6 bottles or Torani in the pantry.

https://www.monin.com/m/products/organic

http://www.torani.com/#/products

Last edited:
I use an Isi Profi Whip with CO2 soda cartridges. It doubles as a Whipped Cream Dispenser too You just have to make sure to use the correct cartridges CO2 vs NO2, depending on what you are making (soda vs whipped cream).

As stated above, you can add Torani or whatever syrups you want. That way you can pick quality cane sugar syrups and not fill up on Corn Syrup and caffeine.

I love it and always have 5-6 bottles or Torani in the pantry.

https://www.monin.com/m/products/organic

http://www.torani.com/#/products

This looks like a great option. I had completely forgotten about the old-school seltzer bottles and May go this route just because it's so stylish.

I have three of the seltzer bottles going all the time. I mostly drick just the sparkling water, but from time to time when I want something sweet, I have an assortment of Torani and Monin syrups for my coffer machine which I use to make an Italian soda. Do not mix the flavors in the seltzer bottle. You'll never get it thoroughly clean and it's not recommended. Put the syrup in the glass and then add the seltzer water.

I have three of the seltzer bottles going all the time. I mostly drick just the sparkling water, but from time to time when I want something sweet, I have an assortment of Torani and Monin syrups for my coffer machine which I use to make an Italian soda. Do not mix the flavors in the seltzer bottle. You'll never get it thoroughly clean and it's not recommended. Put the syrup in the glass and then add the seltzer water.
How are the organic Monin syrups? I've never used them but they sound like a great, less sweet, better ingredients option.

As for not mixing in, I have no issues with mine. The inside is clean as a whistle. When I pour a drink, I unscrew the top and then reseal when done, which was recommended for this unit.

I had the dedicated ISI soda syphon, but quickly returned it. It was awful compared to the Whipped Cream dispenser style. It came out flat after it was shot out the nossle.

Last edited:
How are the organic Monin syrups? I've never used them but they sound like a great, less sweet, better ingredients option.

As for not mixing in, I have no issues with mine. The inside is clean as a whistle. When I pour a drink, I unscrew the top and then reseal when done, which was recommended for this unit.

I had the dedicated ISI soda syphon, but quickly returned it. It was awful compared to the Whipped Cream dispenser style. It came out flat after it was shot out the nossle.

Thanks for the recommendation - I just ordered the ISI Profi and will look into syrups and other flavorings next. I appreciate everyone's help on this one.

[MENTION=30240]Tralfaz[/MENTION]

I hope you like it. My wife got me mine a couple years ago and it's still going strong. The CO2 is not that expensive on Amazon when on sale.

I use about 3oz (I think, i have a little shot glass I use) of Torani for my 1qt size ISI. Ikea also has some drink syrups (blueberry and lingenberry).

Here are my steps for making it:
- Use cold cold cold water and keep the ISI in the fridge so it's ready when needed.
- add syrup, then water and leave a little room in ISI, don't fill to the brim. I leave about 1" of space
- shake to mix liquids, partially screw cartridge but don't discharge yet
- hold UPSIDE DOWN, so the gas goes UP into the water. We just started doing this and it is much better, no gas leaks out etc.
- shake about 50 times and place in the fridge for a few hours if you can as I hear the gas needs to dissipate and break down into smaller more fizzy bubbles.
- unscrew the top when you want some, pour and then reseal until needed again.

This is just my method, you'll find something that works to your needs and the amount of syrup. As mentioned above, buy FOOD SAFE cartridges and don't take a chance with foreign brands or air gun canisters.

It lasts about 3 days with a good amount of fizz.

Top Bottom