What's new

Question on Razor Burn

I've got a straight razor that I've recently used that has me a little confused. Now this is one I honed myself, but I don't think that's an issue here. The razor shaves great - first pass and I was pretty smooth. By my 3rd pass it felt like a first rate shave!! Then came the witch hazel and AS. I'll rinse off with cold water (close the pores), towel dry, then use witch hazel and let that cook while I'm rinsing my bowl, razor, and brush. Then I choose an AS and finish up.

The witch hazel usually has a momentary sting usually, but this one stung a bit more, and I knew I was in for it with the AS, but did it anyway. Yeah that hurt - for about 5 minutes.

Usual prep: shower, pre-shave oil, and this time I used Captain's Choice 45th parallel. CC is usually a home run for me. Little work - lots of lather.

Whaddy guys think? technique? Did I rip my face off shaving too hard? Razor hone? I'm having a hard time blaming the razor as it shaved so beautifully.

Comments???

Thanks Guys

The first possibility that pops into my head is wire edge.
That's a sharp edge that isn't smooth.

If that is what it is, then it can be stropped off easily,
with the strop pulled not too tight,
and you're just a stropping away from a comfortable shave.

Last edited:
Hmmm. At first, I was going to agree with the Dr., but then I re-read your post and decided you weren't saying that the razor got better during the shave. If that's what you were saying, then, yeah, wire edge is the only possible explanation I can think of.

But if you were saying that you got what seemed like a good shave, but it inflamed your skin in a way that you didn't detect at the time, but felt once you applied something that would burn, then my first thought is that your edge has little dings in it. Small dings in the edge can affect your skin comfort without really making the shave any worse.

How are you fixed for magnification? Can you take a look at the edge?

I've got a straight razor that I've recently used that has me a little confused. Now this is one I honed myself, but I don't think that's an issue here. The razor shaves great - first pass and I was pretty smooth. By my 3rd pass it felt like a first rate shave!! Then came the witch hazel and AS. I'll rinse off with cold water (close the pores), towel dry, then use witch hazel and let that cook while I'm rinsing my bowl, razor, and brush. Then I choose an AS and finish up.

The witch hazel usually has a momentary sting usually, but this one stung a bit more, and I knew I was in for it with the AS, but did it anyway. Yeah that hurt - for about 5 minutes.

Usual prep: shower, pre-shave oil, and this time I used Captain's Choice 45th parallel. CC is usually a home run for me. Little work - lots of lather.

Whaddy guys think? technique? Did I rip my face off shaving too hard? Razor hone? I'm having a hard time blaming the razor as it shaved so beautifully.

Comments???

Thanks Guys
Three passes may have been too much. As the Shave Nation guy says "When you're done, you're done". You didn't mention if your shave was a 'daily' shave routine, or if you go two or three days. IMHO daily shavers doing three passes is one too many

Hmmm. At first, I was going to agree with the Dr., but then I re-read your post and decided you weren't saying that the razor got better during the shave. If that's what you were saying, then, yeah, wire edge is the only possible explanation I can think of.

But if you were saying that you got what seemed like a good shave, but it inflamed your skin in a way that you didn't detect at the time, but felt once you applied something that would burn, then my first thought is that your edge has little dings in it. Small dings in the edge can affect your skin comfort without really making the shave any worse.

How are you fixed for magnification? Can you take a look at the edge?

I will. that may be it. It did pick me in one spot which I chalked up to maybe a pimple or blemish or something, and on the soft part of my neck it felt a bit excessively sharp.

Do you think I can fix that on a 12k stone, or strop , or ??

But I have to say it was a particularly smooth result.

I will. that may be it. It did pick me in one spot which I chalked up to maybe a pimple or blemish or something, and on the soft part of my neck it felt a bit excessively sharp.

Do you think I can fix that on a 12k stone, or strop , or ??

But I have to say it was a particularly smooth result.
If it's dings in the edge, a strop won't help with that. What sort of stone would fix it depends on the depth. I generally look at the dings, and decide what stone I need to use. If you see dings, try the 12k and see how it does.

Sounds like you finished your razor on diamond pasted balsa.
No, I used 1K - 4K - 8K - 12K - linen strop - leather strop. I will take a look at the edge, and depending on what I see I'll run it by the 12K.

The edge is too sharp to protect the skin, recommend natural stone, JNAT or COTICULE.
The edge that can comfortably ATG is the ideal edge.

The edge is too sharp to protect the skin, recommend natural stone, JNAT or COTICULE.
The edge that can comfortably ATG is the ideal edge.
It could also be that I may have a burr - can't imagine how since I stropped it - but it felt kind of like it. I need to get the loupe out tonight and address it. Then I can give it a spin tomorrow and hope it doesn't do that again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@JoeScho, there are three main parts of your technique that can contribute to razor burn; too great a blade angle, excessive edge pressure against the skin and (to a lesser extent) incorrect skin stretching.

If your edge is not keen enough, you will tend to increase the blade angle and edge pressure to try and compensate, thus razor burn.

My first suggestion would be to decrease your blade angle. You may be surprised at how flat the blade can be used and still shave well (or even better). I have found that if I use a flatter blade angle, edge pressure against the skin is not so critical to the shave quality.

I use to think that I had super sensitive skin and whiskers like thick stainless steel wire. Now with a much improved technique, I believe that my skin is of rhinoceros hide and whiskers of silk. It's all down to technique.

@JoeScho, there are three main parts of your technique that can contribute to razor burn; too great a blade angle, excessive edge pressure against the skin and (to a lesser extent) incorrect skin stretching.

If your edge is not keen enough, you will tend to increase the blade angle and edge pressure to try and compensate, thus razor burn.

My first suggestion would be to decrease your blade angle. You may be surprised at how flat the blade can be used and still shave well (or even better). I have found that if I use a flatter blade angle, edge pressure against the skin is not so critical to the shave quality.

I use to think that I had super sensitive skin and whiskers like thick stainless steel wire. Now with a much improved technique, I believe that my skin is of rhinoceros hide and whiskers of silk. It's all down to technique.
I believe all of you were pretty much right.

I gave it about 60 strokes on a 12K last night, then 50 strops on linen, then 50 this morning on leather. Better. However, as all of you pointed out, I think it was part technique. I n trying to get the best shave possible, I found myself going over the same area 2,3,4 times as I was shaving. Well, I would imagine after the second time, you've got no lubrication - just skin. Probably not a good idea.

This morning it was much better with the visit to the 12K, and me not going over the same area so many times dry.

Talking this out makes you think and see things you normally would not.

Thanks

I found myself going over the same area 2,3,4 times as I was shaving
That'll do it. I've done the same type of thing where I'm trying to get a good shave, but it's more like I'm forcing a good shave. Forcing things that require finesse is going to end in tears every time. This is a lesson I've learned many times and I'm sure I'll learn it again.

Don't aim for a good shave, aim for good technique.

I found myself going over the same area 2,3,4 times as I was shaving.
When I'm going over a trouble spot like that, I just swipe a little more lather on with the brush. Makes a big difference, even with soaps that have a lot of residual slickness like SV.
I gave it about 60 strokes on a 12K last night
Depending on the 12k, that kind of lap count could easily produce an edge that leaves your face sore. I'd give it a few shave and strop cycles, and next time you do a touchup, try 10-15 laps.

Depending on the 12k, that kind of lap count could easily produce an edge that leaves your face sore. I'd give it a few shave and strop cycles, and next time you do a touchup, try 10-15 laps.
I was wondering if that could happen - but I dismissed it because it made me think its way sharp, and I'm a relative novice when it comes to honing and thought I wouldn't have the skills to make it so.

Too many laps on linen can mess up a good edge. Stropping more will never sort an edge issue.
I'm a little suspect when it comes to linen too. I like the feedback (the wooosh) when you strop. I tend to shy away from linen except coming from a stone.

It’s a keenness issue. What did you see when you looked straight down on the edge?

You do as many laps as it takes to remove any micro-chipping or rolled edge. Jointing the edge will make a straight edge, then you just need to bring the bevels back to meeting, 10-20 laps. If you are using a Super Stone, make shure you stone is lapped swarf free for your final finish laps.

Stropping on clean linen and leather will only improve an edge with proper technique. It is not unusual for a new honer/stropper to roll an edge or create edge issue.

First photo is an edge that is almost fully set, second photo is a fully set edge, no reflections. The reflections are microchips, they will cut you.

Almost set2.jpg
Fully set.jpg

Top Bottom