What's new

Question for those owning vintage Gillette razors...

As has been said the additional pleasure of using an old razor adds to the experiance.

In a frenzy of RAD I've amassed a collection of 18 Vintage razors, ranging in age from a 1909 ABC pocket edition (Great shave, you have to take extra care as you end up gazing at the razor in the mirror rather than the blade on the face:scared:)
$IMAG0385.jpg

Up to a Late 60's Slim Twist (This one gives a very mild shave similar to the Tech)
$IMAG0463.jpg

And with the exception of the Aristocrats and the ABC Pocket Edition all of them were cheaper that an entry level new razor, and in some cases ridiculously cheap.

Last edited:
i have many vintage razors and they get used most frequently. i also use my modern razors as well. Once you try a good vintage razor, there really is no need to get a modern.
Here are some vintage British Aristocrats that are some of the best shavers. Good luck.

Attachments

• $aristos3.JPG
    $aristos3.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 117
I was a skeptic on using a vintage Gillette razor and so my first razor was Merkur HD. I like Merkur a lot and it shaves great. But my curiosity got better of me because a lot folks in this forum tout how much they enjoy Gillette razors. It took me a third try but finally found one that made me a believer. I got hold of a couple of super speeds from members here and am glad I got them. They're smooth and love the TTO. For everyday razor, Merkur was a little aggressive and tends to cause irritation because my face doesn't produce long coarse facial hair, only stubble. But 40s super speed and 70s super speed are just right, just aggressive enough to give me smooth and close shaves without too much irritation.

I had one new one - a cheap DE I got in Boots in the UK. The only thing it did for me was convince me that I liked shaving and that I needed something better.

now I have razors from every decade from 1900 to 1970. There is such a plethora and variety of old razors out there that I see no real need for a new one. (I might one day be tempted by a Weber)

Until recently, i used nothing but vintage Gillettes. I've used Slim, Fatboy, Red Tip, flare tip, black tip, black handle, blue tip, fat-handle Tech, long-comb NEW, and an Old Type. Lots of great razors in that list, but my favorites are the LC NEW and the Fatboy.

As for modern razors, I picked up a Muhle R89 after all the praise. It lasted about 10 shaves in my den before I sold it. Couldn't hold a candle to the vintage Gillettes, IMO.

HOWEVER, I recently picked up a FaTip and I love it. So now I find myself using the FaTip and the Fatboy, with an occasional Red tip or Tech shave thrown in for good measure.

In short, there are good vintage razors and good modern razors. I do love my vintage Gillettes, especially the Fatboy.

A good Scrubbing Bubbles foam bath and brushing and dish soap rinse.

This is my M.O. I don't own a newly produced razor so I only shave with my vintage ones. The oldest one I've shave with so far is my double ring, but most of my shaves are with ones for the 40-50's.

I do my best to use them all. I've got a few favorites, my go-to lately has been my 1918 Bulldog with the second choice being my 1934 Aristocrat.

I have a decent amount of vintage razors, and for the most part I use them mainly. The vintage razors IMHO are built better than newer DE razors with the exception to Stainless Steel razors.

I appreciate all the responses. I am going to pick up a few vintage Gillettes and was hopin that they are good to still use. I would prefer using a vintage just out of nostalgia.

You won't be sorry. You don't need to just do it out of nostalgia, as has been made clear vintage Gillettes in good condition (an important caveat) shave as well as anything made today

All I have are vintage DE and SE and all I have ever used so can not compare to the modern DEs and most came from antique shops in your area (ROLL TIDE). I do have a cased minty 1960 or 61 Fatboy I have not used but eveything else was under $10 or free so use all of them .Even though its a 38 razor rotation..Ha

Last edited:
I have only two razors, both SuperSpeed (1963 & 1967), so I only shave with vintage razors. I have never shaved with a new, or contemporary, DE razor. I gave my son an Edwin Jagger DE86, and I have been tempted to ask him to let me try it, but I haven't.

Until you asked, it never occurred to me that anyone would buy a vintage razor and not use it (except, of course, museum quality pieces).

All I have are vintage DE and SE and all I have ever used so can not compare to the modern DEs and most came from antique shops in your area (ROLL TIDE). I do have a cased minty 1960 or 61 Fatboy I have not used but eveything else was under $10 or free so use all of them .Even though its a 38 razor rotation..Ha

38 razor rotation! Only another 14 to go for one a week rolling annual rotation.
It'd be a long Wait for the favorite to come back round

I love my vintage Gillette razors. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long asntheynare in good shape. I have an old beat up Gillette new that is one of my best razors.

Top Bottom