What's new

Question for those owning vintage Gillette razors...

I was just wondering how many actually use these old razors. Are they still as reliable as a new safety razor? I really like the look of older vintage Gillettes. I'm sure some just have them as a collection. Just curious as to what you guys do with them.
Thank you!

I have quite a few vintage Gillettes ... most are collectibles. The only ones I shave with are the English ones, and those I use only once a month or so. I found that I do not care for TTO razors, and the various Techs that I own just aren't interesting enough to warrant much use.

And among the other 2-piece and 3-piece razors that I have, Merkurs give me a better shave. They may not have the pretty finish and fine workmanship like an EJ or a Muhle, nor the nostalgia factor of vintage Gillettes, but they are workhorses. When I'm looking for performance, Merkurs always come through.

There are probably more members here using vintage razors than using new razors. I have and use both old & new.

I only have vintage razors and use them all in some sort of unorganised rotation, a new razor would be nice and I'm sure it will arrive in the post one day :biggrin1:

I haven't tried, nor do I want to y a new DE. My vintage gillettes are doing great. They, so far at least, are all in rotation while I decide which ones I like best. But they're all very sturdy and don't need pampering like a real antique. Daily work is still good for these horses.

All of my razors are vintage and that is all I use. I am not really interested in new razors, I like my old razors.

Save for one all my nearly 20 razors are all vintage Gillette from the about 1918 with at least one from each decade up til 1980 and all get used.
The only new razor I have is a 10.00 Sally Beauty Supply razor for my dopp kit so I don't risk a travel mishap with one of my vintage jobs.

I appreciate all the responses. I am going to pick up a few vintage Gillettes and was hopin that they are good to still use. I would prefer using a vintage just out of nostalgia.

I use them all from the single ring right through to the 1970s black beauty but the TTO don't get much use too mild for my taste.
Aaron

Nostalgia is important too, but you will discover that these vintage razors really work...and work very well! We know of what we speak!!

I have three vintage Gillette razors: a 1956 Super Speed, a 1961 Fat Boy and a 1963 Slim. I haven't researched information on the original tolerances and measurements, but they seem to work very well, in keeping with the reviews on this forum and others. I enjoy using them, not only because they work very well, but also because of the wonderful connection to the past, and to the former owners, whom I might only know in the next life.

I am another vintage user...do not own any modern razors.
I like hunting down an old razor, cleaning them up and putting them to use again...part of the hobby that I enjoy

Nostalgia is important too, but you will discover that these vintage razors really work...and work very well! We know of what we speak!!

+1 and they're better build than most modern razors.
After shaving only with vintage DE's for the last couple of years, I've only recently started acquiring modern razors. My favorite razors are vintage ones for sure.

Any suggestions on clean up if and when I buy a vintage Gillette? What do you guys do to clean them before actually using them?

Top Bottom