What's new

Question about Tatara safety razors

Hi guys,

I have been wet shaving for a few years already, with the widely used Muehle R89. I have decided to do an upgrade and I was wondering if you could offer some advice.

I have been looking into the Tatara safety razors. I have quite a strong wiry beard, and I do feel that the R89 takes several passes to get rid of most of it when the beard has grown for 2+ days. Because of this, I would not mind a smooth razor which is, maybe, a bit more aggressive. However, at the same time, I do like the smoothness of the R89 when used every day. What razor do you suggest (I was thinking of the Masamune with the Nodachi top plate, or the Muramasa)?

Also, a slightly off-topic question, I am running out of my current preshave (currently using Proraso Refreshing Pre Shave Cream 100ml – Executive Shaving - https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/products/proraso-pre-and-post-shave-cream-100ml). Do you have any suggestions on which ones I can try next?

Thanks!

I have been looking into the Tatara safety razors. I have quite a strong wiry beard, and I do feel that the R89 takes several passes to get rid of most of it when the beard has grown for 2+ days. Because of this, I would not mind a smooth razor which is, maybe, a bit more aggressive. However, at the same time, I do like the smoothness of the R89 when used every day. What razor do you suggest (I was thinking of the Masamune with the Nodachi top plate, or the Muramasa)?
I'd suggest getting the Masamune top cap and the Nodachi OC base plate.
That should give you a bit more efficiency, while keeping it a little smoother and milder than a whole Nodachi head.
The OC should make it a bit easier to take off longer growth, should you ever need to.

I

Island

I think the full nodachi is good followed by the nodachi top with masasume base. The full masasume is very gently but not as smooth as my timeless .95 sb and not especially efficient. It is kind of a no brained razor when fast or careless is more important than bbs.

Thanks guys! Any thoughts on the Muramasa?

I too would suggest the Nodachi.
If you like a long handle (as I do), consider the Nodachi.
If you you prefer a shorter handle, consider the Nodachi head with Masamune handle.

I have also the Muramasa (both in Ti and stainless), but prefer the Nodachi by a small margin, partly because of the longer handle. Tataras are not cheap and looking at the price, the Nodachi is the clear winner, except if you have not found your preferred setting yet. The Nodachi setting is between the two highest settings of the Muramasa and that is just about perfect for me.

As far as the Nodachi head is concerned, I found that there is no noticeable difference between the open and closed comb versions, as both have the same blade gap and exposure.

Their titanium razors, despite almost double the price, are a delight to manoeuvre because of their lower mass.

In a nutshell, my preference is the Nodachi, closed comb, in titanium.

B.

Top Bottom