What's new

Question about Storing a Razor for day to day use

Hello all,

I only have one straight razor that I am using at the moment and one more that needs honed. My question is, is it safe to keep my razors on my little shave shelf/den in my Bathroom? I typically will be shaving every other day if not every day and I’m stropping before and after use. Also, is it safe to keep my strop in the bathroom. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I can’t seem to find any threads related. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
In my experience, if you have a well ventilated bathroom, as with central heat and air, yes. If you have a poorly ventilated bathroom that the humidity remains for a while, no.

I do not keep my strop in the bathroom. It will get water spots on it, that while harmless discolor the strop. You can remove these just by wiping the strop with a damp cloth and letting it air dry, but why bother?

Hello all,

I only have one straight razor that I am using at the moment and one more that needs honed. My question is, is it safe to keep my razors on my little shave shelf/den in my Bathroom? I typically will be shaving every other day if not every day and I’m stropping before and after use. Also, is it safe to keep my strop in the bathroom. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I can’t seem to find any threads related. Thanks.

If you introduce humidity in that same room through showering or bathing then I would advise against it.
I do not keep my strop in the bathroom for the same reason.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to find a new place for my Straight razors & Strop.

I agree with the advice given here, best to keep both blade and strop out of the bathroom, especially the blade for reasons mentioned.

That said I kept my strop in the bathroom for years before I moved it to the bedroom with no ill effects.

I moved it when I got married because the Mrs. tends to take up the bathroom a while and it is just easier to be ready when she's done.

Chris

I keep my razors in the bathroom, but in a closed box with dehumidifiers in it. The strop is a nono.
I strop after I shave or the next day then place it back in the box so I can shave as soon as I get out of the shower. Got kids so have to do everything when I got the time for it.

My bathroom is never terribly humid, so my straight razors stay in a drawer next to the sink and the strop hangs from the doorknob on the linen closet. That has been my practice since I started straight razor shaving 5 years ago and I’ve not had any issues.

If my bathroom were humid, I would probably have a different story.

Top Bottom