What's new

Question about Llyn Melynllynn and Dragons tongue

What are you guys' thoughts about these welsh slate hones? They are dirt cheap and I was wondering if i could use one of them as a touch-up stone.

DT are worth what they cost ($5-10). They remove steel inefficiently. If you can't afford a synthetic in that range, they can work. Not as a touch up though.

Yellow Lakes vary. Some are quite decent razor finishers. Other's aren't. Again they're pretty slow; and there's always better options out there... but for the money they can be good. You'll see 8x2" YL's go for $20-50, and at that price, it's a good deal if you get a good one. These can do just fine as a touch up if you don't have anything better available. Though I think a LOT of beginners make the mistake of going for size over quality on a touch up hone. I'd take a 5x1" Thuri over a 8x2" Yellow Lake for touchups every time. I'd also take a 6x2" or even 4x2" vintage hard arkansas over an 8x2" Yellow Lake.

DT are worth what they cost ($5-10). They remove steel inefficiently. If you can't afford a synthetic in that range, they can work. Not as a touch up though.

Yellow Lakes vary. Some are quite decent razor finishers. Other's aren't. Again they're pretty slow; and there's always better options out there... but for the money they can be good. You'll see 8x2" YL's go for $20-50, and at that price, it's a good deal if you get a good one. These can do just fine as a touch up if you don't have anything better available. Though I think a LOT of beginners make the mistake of going for size over quality on a touch up hone. I'd take a 5x1" Thuri over a 8x2" Yellow Lake for touchups every time. I'd also take a 6x2" or even 4x2" vintage hard arkansas over an 8x2" Yellow Lake.
Thanks for the advice, what about belgian coticules (ardennes yellow and BBW) or CNATs?

I am learning the steep curve of Coti's at the moment but I also have the three Welch slate hones.
When I can't get an edge on the Coti I rely on my synthetic stones then finish with the finest of the Welch stones (alleged to be 15k?) under running water and I can always get an HHT, followed by a decent shave.

I prefer a shave off a coticule to a Yellow lake, but others may disagree. I think a small coticule is a very good option for a cheap touch up stone.

Top Bottom