What's new

Question about injectors

Disclaimer: I know I'm a newb, and shouldn't be buying all sorts of razors. I can't anyway, and I'm waiting for a PIF fatboy to arrive in any case. :001_smile

However, I'm fascinated by the injectors. I remember seeing the ads when I was younger, but I can't figure out how they work. What's the deal with these, that made them so special? How do they work? Inquiring, ignorant mind wants to know.:blush:

I am sure some well- informed answers will come soon. I just won an Injector on the bay, and remember it was the second razor I had as a kid. I liked it, but the loading was clumsy, and then the Trac II came out...

I am hoping the blades are good, and it is easier to use than a DE if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I will read what the experts here say about it.

VW

Injectors razors are a single edge razor. Quite a bit different than the DEs. The loading is very different, the injector has from 7-20 blades in it and has a key. You insert the key into the side of the razor then slide one of the blades into the razor (which pushes the old blade out, if installed). THe shave form them is great and very easy. The ease of shave is comparible to a modern cartridge razor. You dont have to fuss over the angle, just put it flat against your face and go. I resisted for a long time, and now I'm sorry I waited. They are some of my favorite shaves.

Disclaimer: I know I'm a newb, and shouldn't be buying all sorts of razors.

That's no reason to not buy razors! :laugh: Buy as many as you can and try them out. You could be missing out on your future favorite.

Thanks. I was trying to forestall the inevitable warnings that I see all the time! LOL

I love antiques, and will be collecting razors you can be sure. Wish I could buy that GEM collection you have listed...

One of these days I'll be able to spend money again. Rampant AD will ensue!

Last edited:
Injectors are great razors and are still quite plentiful and inexpensive. Their main selling point was that the blade could be loaded without having to actually handle it. They are capable of giving great shaves and are very easy to operate with just a little practise.

Their only drawback is that blades are a little tough to find because ASR (Personna) stopped supplying retailers with them last year so they pretty much have to be ordered online. They can also be found at some independent drugstores.

Here's a few pictures to help understand how they operate. The blades are held in a dispenser that has a built in "key" which is used to open the razor for the blade to be inserted by sliding the tab with your fingers.

Here is a typical Schick injector, this one is known as a Type E and the same razor flipped over with a dispenser in the second photo. It's kind of hard to see but Insert Key and an arrow is stamped on the lower right side of the injector near the end of the key.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The key is inserted into the razor which opens the area that the blade is loaded into. Once the key is fully inserted the tab on top of the dispenser is slid forward with the thumb and forefinger to load the blade, then the key is removed. In the second picture the blade is loaded approximately halfway.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Are injectors a more mild shaver than DE (BBS with no razor burn or nicks)?

Questions like this are almost impossible to answer since there are so many variables involved. A person could use great technique and get great results with a DE and use crappy technique with an injector and get crappy results. Given the different levels of aggressiveness in the various types of razors it's impossible to give a general yes or no answer to questions like this.

It looks like the injector was the forerunner to the cartridge razor. I looks like it's shave would be closer to a cart/disposable than to a DE. Is that accurate or am I completely wrong?

It looks like the injector was the forerunner to the cartridge razor. I looks like it's shave would be closer to a cart/disposable than to a DE. Is that accurate or am I completely wrong?

That's exactly what a lot of people say. They aren't glamorous but are darn fine shavers.

Like a DE or SE, an injector has a single blade. That blade is thicker, and probably more rigid than those in most cartridges. Also, most (not all) cartridges have two blades or more. There was a twin injector blade, which would fit in most models made from the 1960s on, but these are only available as vintage, now, and the same models of injectors took single blades as well. Most of the injector fans around here rely on the single blades.

If you're comparing the many different types of injector to the many different types of cartridges, saying that an injector shaves like a cartridge is at best an oversimplification. It would be closer to say that it shaves like an SE razor. It looks like a cartridge razor, certainly, and is very easy to use.

I have a couple of G types, and I get very close shaves with them. The G can be pretty agressive, especially if you get lulled into thinking "oh, this is just like my cart razor" and don't pay attention.

As with my other SE razors, I find the technique easier to master and harder to screw up with, provided you don't get sloppy. Plus I get at least 3-4 four shaves with a standard SE blade, and can easily get 5-6 with a Schick. I have yet to get a third decent shave with any DE blade.

As previously mentioned, the downside to injectors is the scarcity of blades. The big box stores and national chain pharmacies don't carry them, HOWEVER, EVERY independent pharmacy that I've ventured into has them, along with a couple of different ASR SE blades.

I think the angle of the handles positions the injector exactly halfway between SE and the earlier cartridge razors.

BTW, Mantic has a cute video on loading an injector that really lets you see the mechanics at work.

I have a number of injector razors and I particularly favor the Schick type ‘L’ and the stubbly little type I Hydromagic’s.

Injector razors are very easy to shave with. They’re more like a twin blade than a DE. Changing the blades is fun too. Kind of like a miniature pump action shotgun…

As to blades themselves I like the new Schick injector blades that are made in China. I get them at Amazon.com and they work out to about 80 cents each.

And I make absolutely no apologies for the fact that I pretty much rotate one week with my DE’s, one week with a twin-blade Sensor-Excel, and one week with an injector.

Works for me…

Love my injectors.

Only problem for me is I get tempted to use pressure and get razor burn sometimes.

The thicker blades are not so forgiving if you have blemishes or moles. They are splendid and keep an edge for a little longer than DE blades in my experience.

I have tried the double blade injector blades. Total gimmick all the way. The twin blades are so close to each other that they clog up in one pass and pretty much are more trouble than they are worth. Cool collectible though.

I personally prefer the heavy black injector Schick with the long handle and silver colored head.

I have a half dozen different types and don't know the types off the top of my head. I do get a weird kick out of loading a fresh blade in one. :001_rolle

I always end up popping the old one out and having to search for it.

What's the proper and safest way to eject the old blade and not have it fly behind the faucet?

Top Bottom