What's new

QED = huh?

So I'm sort of fed up with my shaving soap, and I read a bunch of rave reviews over this site about "QED" soap. I'm interested in trying some of their sandalwood soap (especially since I don't even know what sandalwood smells like) but I can't find anything about the company! There's no information in the Wiki, and there's nothing on Google.

So, what gives? Is this a shaving product manufacturer or a secret society? Any info on this company and where to buy some of their shaving soap would be greatly appreciated.

More importantly, does anyone know if they offer any free samples? :wink2:

So I'm sort of fed up with my shaving soap, and I read a bunch of rave reviews over this site about "QED" soap. I'm interested in trying some of their sandalwood soap (especially since I don't even know what sandalwood smells like) but I can't find anything about the company! There's no information in the Wiki, and there's nothing on Google.

So, what gives? Is this a shaving product manufacturer or a secret society? Any info on this company and where to buy some of their shaving soap would be greatly appreciated.

More importantly, does anyone know if they offer any free samples? :wink2:

http://www.qedusa.com It's a one man operation... horrible website though.

For what it's worth, if you are having shaving soap issues, i'd recommend Tabac. Tallow based soaps tend to do the best with the widest array of water conditions. Also, Tabac is the best bang for the buck, as a cake will last eon's and it is reasonably priced.

I second Joel's observations. Conveniently, QED is an excellent place to get Tabac, so it would be easy to try both....

When you go to the website, on the lower left you will see a link for "other fabulous products...." You will find both Tabac and QED soaps on that page. No, there is no way to add them for your shoppng cart, so you have to call or email Charles (the owner). He is great, and will take care of. I know it sounds weird, but it is pretty painless, and you need not worry - Charles is definitely reliable to do business with.

-Mo

And the QED shaving soaps can be found under "other products" in the left hand column on the main page (with the flashing arrow thing)

EDIT: Mo beat me to it

For what it's worth, if you are having shaving soap issues, i'd recommend Tabac. Tallow based soaps tend to do the best with the widest array of water conditions. Also, Tabac is the best bang for the buck, as a cake will last eon's and it is reasonably priced.

I have similar lathering issues with some soaps from my water being funky, but I have to say that my QED lathers the best, so that my not be an issue.

I second Joel's observations. Conveniently, QED is an excellent place to get Tabac, so it would be easy to try both....

When you go to the website, on the lower left you will see a link for "other fabulous products...." You will find both Tabac and QED soaps on that page. No, there is no way to add them for your shoppng cart, so you have to call or email Charles (the owner). He is great, and will take care of. I know it sounds weird, but it is pretty painless, and you need not worry - Charles is definitely reliable to do business with.

Not necessarily true (having to call, that is). Here is the URL for the QED Order Form, on which you can manually enter the products you wish to purchase, together with the requisite billing/shipping information:

https://qedusa.com/~qedusaco/form/

I've used it several times for ordering QED products, with no problems.

Smooth shaving!

I've used it several times for ordering QED products, with no problems.

Thanks for posting that. As I remember, when I have emailed to ask about ordering something, he sent me that link. So definitely, just using that is the easiest way. I just did not have the link on hand.

-Mo

For those who have tried Tabac, what's the fragrance like? More importantly, which one is preferable - the QED scent or the Tabac scent?

For those who have tried Tabac, what's the fragrance like? More importantly, which one is preferable - the QED scent or the Tabac scent?

QED has a plethura of scents...very good ones might I add. Tabac is an old school, spicy scent. Hard to describe, I like it. If you were going to go on scent alone I would say QED's Sandalwood should get the nod. You basically have to try them and see what you think.

For those who have tried Tabac, what's the fragrance like?

Awful hard to describe. It is kind of an old world cologne scent, in my hind. Warm, heavy. Good, if you like that sort of thing, which I do. It is not remotely, "citrus" "light" "fresh" etc., so remember that if you are a fan of things like T&H 1805.....

More importantly, which one is preferable - the QED scent or the Tabac scent?

Seriously? You are asking which of two totally different scents is "preferable?" Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, and I really want to help a fellow hokie. But, well, that is so subjective that no one can possibly answer it for you. I mean, if Tabac was a Sandalwood scent, people's opinions might at least be informative, but it isn't, so....

They are both pretty strong scents.

The QED is a wood scent, and it does smell a little like wood. But a very rich, spicy, and exotic wood. In fact, those three adjectives are about the best I can do for describing it. Personally, I love both. But I probably like the QED scent slightly more.

Seriously consider getting both. If you get the QED, it is only $6 more for a TABAC refill, and, as mentioned, the stuff lasts forever. If you are not feeling super pinched, $15 for the ceramic pot is pretty nice.

-Mo

Tabac is very strongly scented. Most definitely "love it or leave it". QED has many different scents, but you seem to be looking for sandalwood, and that has a good reputation. My preference is for soaps with a more muted scent.

Yek,

I am a fan of QED soaps. If you are into scents, QED has what you want! The scents are all derived from essential oils and are very intense. If you want to find out what REAL sandalwood smells like, buy the QED! It's all real sandalwood and not blended with other scents like most soaps and creams.

I love many of the scents and have Sandalwood, Bay Rum, Badgr and Blade, Vetiver and Lavender. The lather is pretty slick stuff! Enjoy!

Steve

When it comes to your true scents nothing tops QED he is not stingy on the EO. Now for Lather and comfort and that rich feel milled is better IMO and Tabac is a great one. Like the scent or not it is hard to deny the quality of the lather. That said the opinions will very. It is all personal. To get a great example of both Tabac and QED are a great starting point.

QED Sandalwood is the driest soap scent I've every come across, the Tabac is much warmer, a totally different fragrance. I gave my Sandalwood to Jay ages ago, so it's not fresh in my mind, but it was Exceedingly dry, a true sandalwood. You can't really compare the two in scent, but they are both quality products. Overall, I'd say the Tabac is more popular, the Sandalwood is too love it or hate it. I'd go with the Tabac at this time. You can always pick up a Sandalwood later.

As far as what Tabac smells like...if you know what Calvin Klein Obsession smells like, then you know what Tabac smells like. To my nose, they are identical. YMMV.

For those who have tried Tabac, what's the fragrance like?

One of the best (but maybe still not very helpful) descriptions I've seen is that tabac is like "Old Spice on steroids." It is less sweet than OS, less powdery...stronger leather smell. Some people say it is an "old man" smell...to me it is absolutely fantastic smelling...but it is notoriously a "love it or hate it" kind of scent.

I echo all the previous sentiments on QED and Tabac. They were my two first soap buys, and they will be two that I will always keep in rotation. The sandalwood is quintessential sandalwood IMO, as he uses pure EO. This also explains the higher price in case you're wondering, authentic sandalwood EO is extremely expensive. It's heavenly to me, but a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. Extremely dry and woody, a clear winner if you prefer that kind of scent.

The Tabac I'd describe as floral, woodsy and a bit leathery. Tobacco leaves runs through my mind, too. A very classic, old world scent.

I ordered the Sandalwood today. From what I'm guessing thanks to all the helpful reviews, I'm guessing I'm going to like it more. Once I get acquainted with it, I'll spring for the Tabac if I'm unsatisfied. Hopefully the QED will do the trick by itself, as I want to save up for my first silvertip brush...

Top Bottom