What's new

Purchasing USED razors

What are the criteria you use to decide on buying or not? I saw a few at an antique shop, the one i was looking at was a Gillette Adjustable. They were asking 4 bucks for it. It looked like the handle had some gold coloring but the rest of the razor was silver, covered in soap scum, but it worked smoothly and the numbers 'clicked' firmly. I already have a Gillette SS, so this was just one of those times i felt like getting a different kind.

Hi Jed. If the adjustable for $4 works, ie; opens/closes correctly, adjusts with positive stops, isn't bent etc., then grab it immediately. Make sure no blade is in it. You'd be surprised at how many I've found in antique stores with a nasty old blade left in them. Soak it in a dish detergent bath for a few hours. This will loosen a lot of the grime. Use a toothbrush and plain baking soda and scrub the dickens out of it. You'd be surprised how clean it will look. You can boil it a bit in vinegar water but I caution you, it WILL destroy the finish if you make it too stout or boil it too long. There is no set formula for vinegar water strength or boiling but I wouldn't go more than 8-10 minutes. Just a few teaspoons of vinegar will do it. A good haul and that is exactly the price I paid for my last adjustable. Junk and antique stores are the way to go. Ebay is for suckers. Unless you are selling of course.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards, Todd

How can i tell if its 'bent'? It looked OK, and it opened and closed smoothly. Not sure where to check to see if its bent. They had two more super speeds and one looked like a super speed, but it had a long handle on it, it was pale blue and it had little 'stars' near the head. You guys will know what im talking about with that one.

That's the Lady Gillette, a very nice razor. I have one in my rotation, and it's a good razor not only for women but for men who prefer a longer handle.

With razors like the ones you've found, the ultrasonic cleaner quickly proves its worth. You can search on "ultrasonic" for threads on these cleaners, which do a fantastic job of cleaning crud off old razors.

During my hunting days, I've picked up 2 Slim Adjustables, a Fatboy, and 2 Super Adjustables (Long Handled) all from antique shops for about $4-$5 each. What ya got there is a great find at a great price!

Do what these wise sages above say to check the functionality of the razor. Also, check to see if the twisting mechanism "Locks" in place. You know the 1/4 turn after the silo doors are closed.

I use a 15-20 minute boil in some plain water, then scrubbing bubbles/toothbrush/, Barbicide soak, and lastly polish. That puppy will look brand spanking new, I garuantee!:wink2:

Jed, what you are looking for is either bent "guides", which are the little bars which run lengthwise with the blade edge and create a gap between the edge of the blade and your face, or in the handle itself. If the guards are bent, you can probably straighten them pretty easily. If the handle is bent, that would be another matter. These things are mostly bulletproof and don't take it for granted that the handle shaft is bent if it is very difficult to open at first. Remember, many of these things have sat for 30-40 years with no usage. The old soap scum and "green goo" as I call it has sat there and caked hard and makes everything quite stiff. Usually if something is bent out of kilter, it is because the razor has been dropped on its head. Hold the razor straight up in front of you and see if the razor head looks perfectly perpendicular to the handle. If so, I'd buy it in a minute and give it a good hot water soak with dish detergent and then assess whether you want to keep it, trade it or sell it. I'm telling you, at $4 you cannot go wrong.

Regards, Todd

Antique shops are the way to go. The proprietors don't often know anything about razor values and great buys can be had. I picked up an excellent-condition (after cleaning up) '59 Fatboy in one for four dollars.
Ditto on that Lady Gillette. Nice shaver.

Antique shops are the way to go. The proprietors don't often know anything about razor values and great buys can be had. I picked up an excellent-condition (after cleaning up) '59 Fatboy in one for four dollars.

+1 Lady Gillette..Great shaver. Wife loves it

I was able to pick up an E-3 Fat Boy for a grand total with tax -----
$3.19. Cleaned up beautifully and I am shaving with it and loving it.

You just gotta love those antique stores and flea markets. Now I don't mind going there with my wife.

Ron:w00t:

Top Bottom