What's new

Publix Witch Hazel

I was shopping Publix grocery store and noticed they are selling Witch Hazel. I have been looking forever and was pleased to come across it. My main concern was its high content of alcohol. Has anyone used Publix brand Witch Hazel as aftershave?

Also does it help prevent bumps?

I've got a bottle of Publix WH. Fine stuff at a very good price. Smells a bit better (milder) than my bottle of Humphreys. It and Thayers Unscented (Alc. Free) are the two I'll always keep around.

The Publix brand of WH is OK - it does the job. However, it does sting me a bit because of its alcohol content - which is why I prefer Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH.

I've got a bottle of Publix WH. Fine stuff at a very good price. Smells a bit better (milder) than my bottle of Humphreys. It and Thayers Unscented (Alc. Free) are the two I'll always keep around.

I use Publix WH after every shave--right after a cold water rinse. I apply my aftershave of choice when it has dried.

WH works so well for me that I dropped the aftershave balm. Don't worry about the smell. It goes away quick and after a couple of weeks you won't notice it at all.

WH works so well for me that I dropped the aftershave balm. Don't worry about the smell. It goes away quick and after a couple of weeks you won't notice it at all.

I have been using generic witch hazel before applying my aftershave splash for about 8 months now. The first time I used, I thought the smell was utterly disgusting; but now I have actually came to like the smell.

With all the usual YMMV caveats, what I do is:
*Shave
*Hot Water Rinse (to get off the residual lather etc.)
*Cold Water Rinse
*Alum Bar
*Cold Water Rinse (to wash off the residual alum)
*Witch Hazel (I use a spray bottle and then just rub it in)
*Clean up the rest of my shave stuff for about 3 minutes
*Aftershave
*Cologne (if I'm using it that day)

Note that I don't rinse off the WH at all. My thought is that the alcohol will evaporate off and leave all the goodies intact. I just use the generic stuff and I don't mind the scent of it at all -- it disappears after it drys anyway. As a matter of fact, I sometimes stop after the WH if I don't want any scent that day.

My routine is:

-Shower
-Apply hair conditioner to face
-Make lather
-Apply Lather
-Shave (usually just two passes)
-Cold Water rinse to get off residual lather
-Wipe face with towel
-Cold Water applied to face (helps activate the menthol in the aftershave)
-Apply Witch Hazel
-Apply Aftershave (usually mentholated)

I have never tried witch hazel, but I frequently take a quick smell of the generic when in the drug store, etc. One sniff and I remember why I have never tried it. I keep thinking that it will become less offensive. No such luck, yet. My AS choices keep me happy for now (and I don't have any special issues to recommend it).

I generally find TN Dickinson's at the local Wally World. It's reasonably priced too. I've found all freshly opened witch hazel will have a slight stench to it. But after about a week of usage, the smell becomes a non-issue.

As far as application. After my shave and rinse, I use a cotton pad to apply it. I let it air dry while I'm cleaning up my shaving equipment. Aftershave is optional.

Wingnut mentioned using a spray bottle. I like that idea. I'm gonna try it.:thumbup:

Top Bottom