What's new

Proraso Irritating

Has anyone experienced severe irritation with Proraso shave cream? I've used AOS Sandalwood, TOBS Almond, Florena as well as other menthol creams such as Kiss My Face Cool Mint and Zirh with no problem.

However, I used Proraso for the first time yesterday and my face got extremely swollen and red. I rubbed it with lavender oil and took an anti-histamine and it slowly went away but its still very sensitive and dry.

Previously I also used the Proraso after shave balm with no problems and this is the first time that my face has reacted like this. I'm wondering the following:

Anyone know what ingredient could be causing this that the other menthol creams don't have?

I read that some people get irritation with TOBS Avocado and I'm planning on buying it as my next cream but I'd rather not waste $20 if I'm also going to have a reaction to it. Are those who react to Proraso also prone to react to TOBS Avocado and vice versa?

Thanks for any help. It's not really a big deal for me since honestly I liked the smell and feel of the Kiss My Face Cool Mint better but I'm just surprised and confused that this happened.

The eucalyptus in the Proraso could be the irritant.

Eucalyptus is not in Taylor's Avocado. The TOBS Avocado is extremely popular and well-respected. If you have a problem with it, you should be able to sell or trade it in the forum quite easily.

I'm not sure if it would be the lanolin or eucalyptus oil since I don't have any other products that have either ingredient. If it matters I've eaten sheep before but that's probably different than rubbing lanolin over my face.

Well I dared to try Proraso again for the past 2 days just because I had a couple days off work and wouldn't care if my face blew up in the morning and I have to say that all my irritation problems are gone.

I got an excellent shave and my skin looks fine afterwards. I don't know what happened the first time. Very weird.

I was under the impression that only Proraso Red had lanolin ... the regular green does not. Right?

Anyway, I'm one of the unfortunate few who gets major irritation from TOBS Avocado, but Proraso Green is like wonderful, soothing magic.

Interesting.

I can use Proraso green every day and have great results,

But....

FLorena makes my face breakout into a purple, terribly itchy/painful rash.

so does proraso red :( I need to figure out what to do with those 3 tubes I have left:frown:

I was under the impression that only Proraso Red had lanolin ... the regular green does not. Right?

I believe that all the Proraso soaps/creams have lanolin, as do the Omega products.

Don't for get the AV splash for the Menthol Bomb.
I have been using that combo for two week straight.

Follow that with some of the pre-post for an extra blast - be sure to put the pre-post on while the AS splash is still slightly wet!

Well, I stand corrected. :redface:

The red proraso irritates me, and not the green. I have no idea what it is, though.

I have tried a homemade eucalyptus shaving soap that was stronger than the Proraso Green. It was very cooling but not irritating.

I haven't used the Proraso aftershave splash though. Is it eucalyptus based too?

The proraso green does NOT contain lanolin. It has the euc., menth. and boric acid. the RED contains lanolin. i dont care where you get your information from. that site doesnt know jack. i have the tubes in front of me.

FWIW, i use proraso red with ZERO irritation. i havent tried the green because everyone keeps freaking out about it. i did use the pre-post stuff on my face but i cant remember if it irritated my face or not. in any case, i think musgo irritated my face a bit, i noticed some red things on my cheeks, not a big deal. ill have to try that again. toms of main calendula really irritated my face. i think its the calendula FRAGRANCE that they have in it. thats probly why im too leery about trying Speick too.

I had the same problem when I first started to use Proraso. The swelling/irritation was an extremely weird and uncomfortable feeling, specially around the lips, and lasted for approx 2 weeks.

I would use it one day, and skip a day. I continued this for about a week and then regularly started using it. Now, my skin can handle Proraso and I get nothing but great shaves.

I think it's Eucalyptus and/or Menthol but it could possibly just be the soap/cream itself.

Interesting.

I can use Proraso green every day and have great results,

But....

FLorena makes my face breakout into a purple, terribly itchy/painful rash.

so does proraso red :( I need to figure out what to do with those 3 tubes I have left:frown:

Sell the red on the exchange or give me a price and I'll buy it. I love red proraso and actually love the green too!

If it was that irritating, no one would be using it since 1926. Some do have more sensitive skin that others. i thought my skin was sensitive but proraso red gives me absolutely close and clean, irritation-free shaves. so ill just try out the green. if you dont want those 3 red tubes, ill gladly take them off your hands if the price is right.

Everyone's face is different. I've tried lots of different products, but I've only come across one that seems to "burn" when I use it.. Conk's Almond soap. Go figure.

-Mason

Weird that it bothered you one time and not the next. I would think that the cream wouldn't be the problem then. I mean if you got irritation that bad and it was from the cream it would do it certainly do it everytime. Maybe the cream combined with another product? Hopefully you won't have anymore issues because it is a great cream.

Top Bottom