What's new

Progress vs Mergress vs Digress

[SZE=5]I'm interested in trying one of these. I'm interested in hearing if people prefer the regular Progress or one of the modified versions. And if someone prefers the modified, how do the Mergress and Digress stack up against each other.
Many thanks![/IZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a regular long handle Progress. I am not sure if the custom knobs affect other than the razor's balance, in other words, they might change the feeling of the razor in the hand, but I would think they shave the same.

As for Mergress vs Digress, the difference is the price I suppose. Digress is a lot more expensive.

I think the balance of the Mergress-Digress improves the shave of the Progress frame. The Digress is more expensive because there is more to the knob assembly. The Digress comes in regular or long handle in Brass, Stainless and Aluminum. The whole internal assembly that attaches to the cap is redone and machined, ending in the knob. On the Mergress the plastic knob is cut off and replaced with a stainless knob and the attachment portion of the assembly remains Merkur. So a lot more work and material, I think. The Digress also IMO has a more elegant looking knob though that would not necessarily lead to more cost.

What Zeppelinkarte said in his first sentence is in line with my experience. I had a regular Progress and I sent it off to Eric to be made into a Mergress. I asked for the longer knob.

The resulting razor has much better balance. The Progress is very head heavy, which some people like, but I do not. The shave is similar, but I think it is much easier to use because of the better balance and more efficient because of the increased weight.

In short, to me the Mergress is a much more enjoyable razor than the Progress. I have never tried a Digress.

Top Bottom