What's new

Progress and blade combo?

I’m struggling to get a good shave with the progress. Either it’s too mild or too aggressive? I’ve tried Astra SP, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Feather and Perma Sharp at various settings and iterations (anything between settings 1 and 3). Either the blade tugs or scrapes the skin.

So the question is, generally, which settings and blades do you use with this thing?

You shouldn't really need the ultra-sharp blades with the Progress. I'd start with something in the mid-sharp range, a smooth blade. The classic choice would be the old Personna Israeli Platinum. Since those aren't made any more, something close would be Personna Lab Blue (made in USA), Personna Platinum (made in Germany) or Wilkinson Sword (made in Germany). Other choices might be Dorco Prime (made in Vietnam) or Gillette 7 O'clock Green (made in India).

Check your technique. Most people would not get pulling, tugging or scraping with that razor and any reasonably sharp blade. The Progress puts quite a lot of bend in the blade, the angle may not be what it first appears to be.

People use different settings. 3 might be good for the first pass, you could maybe reduce it a little for later passes. With more experience, you may come to like higher settings for the first pass, like around 4 or a bit more even.

Last edited:
the above +1, plus, if it isn't efficient enough try it on 4 or 5. I use it on 5 for the first 2 passes, then go down to 2 for the 3rd atg pass. 1 is useless for me, does not remove anything even during the 3rd pass.
Those are fine blades, maybe give the Gillette 7 oc black a try, but I don't think the blade is the issue.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
One thing you could check if the razor is aligned right. On the base plate there is a triangle and on the cap there is a notch, both have to be on the same side. Also tighten the razor down to its lowest setting before adjusting to the setting you wish to shave at. Hope some of this helps.

For me settings 1-3 with Perma-Sharp worked well.. not best close shave, still no complications for daily acceptable shave. But agree I had difficulties if I wanted very close BBS usually results was some irritations

this is a prime example of YMMV. One of my best(closest and smoothest) shavers is the Progress. I can throw almost any blade in it and it will work. (but, I have to fiddle with the alignment)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m struggling to get a good shave with the progress. Either it’s too mild or too aggressive? I’ve tried Astra SP, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Feather and Perma Sharp at various settings and iterations (anything between settings 1 and 3). Either the blade tugs or scrapes the skin.

So the question is, generally, which settings and blades do you use with this thing?
So many people here just love the Progress or one of the upgraded variants like the Mergress or Opgress. I ended up buying both Progress razors and both Mergress handle options too.... They sat around for a while as I was working on some other stuff.

I have to say... They aren't intuitive for me. I haven't been able to get the shaves I do with my Top Razors. I ended up putting them on the back burner for a while. I'm sure, as has been suggested, it's my technique that needs work. The thing is... I have several razors that work brilliantly for me, I don't really enjoy the struggle to make something work when the others are sitting there, reminding me how good they are for my face and whiskers.

So, perhaps a razor change might help you. I have a fairly inexpensive experiment for you to try, if you are interested. If you get a PAA Filament for under $30, you might just be surprised. I know I continue to be surprised at how well this little plastic razor competes with the very best razors I own and I do have some nice ones. I do realize this goes against most of the sound advice here... keep using the razor until your technique is up to snuff. I think that's wonderful advice. I haven't exactly followed those suggestions. I ended finding a shaving brother or two here who need and enjoy the same things I do and I've followed their advice and bought a few razors at the top of their lists.

I have to say... They aren't intuitive for me. I haven't been able to get the shaves I do with my Top Razors. I ended up putting them on the back burner for a while. I'm sure, as has been suggested, it's my technique that needs work. The thing is... I have several razors that work brilliantly for me, I don't really enjoy the struggle to make something work when the others are sitting there, reminding me how good they are for my face and whiskers.
That match my relationship with Progress at 100%

I have found the Progress more sensitive to angle than any of my other razors which are all, aside from the KingC, vintage Gillette. I prefer a Personna Med Prep, but have used many blades (sharp to mild) and found it has always delivered a good shave. On all my adjustables I dial up the agression after the first pass and with the Progress I do a first pass at 2, second at 4 or 5, and third dial back to 2 as a clean up. For me this delivers a BBS.

I've been using a Progress, only with Feather blades, for many years. Always at 1.5 - 2, which avoids nicks for me.

Two things to watch:

. . . If you have a sharp blade, use _no pressure_ (strictly speaking, "absolute minimum pressure that works") on the head.

The edge of the blade needs to float on top of a very thin layer of soapy water. If you press it through that layer, the edge will nick skin.

. . . Check the alignment of the blade, with respect to the safety bars, as you start to tighten the cap on a new blade.

Looking from the top of the razor, both safety bars should have equal exposure from the blade edges. There's enough play, in the location of the top plate, to make the exposure different, from one side to the other, or to have the top cap slightly twisted against the base plate.

Once you have a blade installed, _don't_ take the razor apart for cleaning, until you want to install a new blade. Just rinse it well, between shaves. Put a bit of Vaseline on the end of the adjusting threads.

Who said this was an easy sport?<g>

. Charles

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If you are struggling to get a good shave with those combinations I would look at your technique which probably needs tuning. Tugging and scraping suggests a blade angle problem.This may help; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
If you've assembled the razor correctly I would also suggest trying different razor angles. Although I haven't used it in many years, I have a Mergress and it's a fine razor. One of the reasons I purchased it over the Progress was the reported build quality issues. I hope that's not the problem with your razor.

Top Bottom