What's new

Products you wanted to love, but...

I don't "want" to love anything. Soaps, brushes, razors and blades are what they are. They have to compete for my attention. The best ones do indeed get love and attention but only when they can prove they deserve it. The rest just get sold. I never took wet shaving seriously until last year so pretty much everything is new, no ties.

Astra sp.
When I started de shaving, I ordered 50 Astra sp. I found them scratchy and irritating, but chalked it up to my evolving technique. Every time I tried them again, I got the same results. I even got a better shave from Shaverboy blades! Puzzling, since I tend to like the same blades other folks do. I found that other members complained about some dud Astras in circulation around the same time as I bought mine. It appears I got some of the duds! While I'm tempted to order some current production Astra sp and try them again, I won't since I have other blades in my stash that work well for me, and I just won a pif from @Space_Cadet of 200 Israeli Personnas. Thanks again, Space Cadet!

I also bought 100 Astra when I started wet shaving seriously last year. In the generic SB razors I was using, Techs and clones, I moved on to Personna Reds and then 7 o'clock Yellows. Now I'm using a very efficient R41 open comb and it's a different story. The Reds and the Yellows are on the shelf and the Astra SPs are competing with Nacets for closest shave, with GSBs also due for a tryout. I'm very happy to report such excellent results from Astras, which makes me feel a lot better about getting 100.

Every Tech headed razor ever.

Lord Super Stainless and Shark Super Chrome. Both were pretty miserable shaves (the Lord especially) in every razor i own. Also the Yaqi tuxedo knot synthetic. Brush is wonderfully soft but has so much backbone it’s a chore to get it to splay. I’ll continue to use it because it builds a great lather, but it’s just too springy for me to really love it.

I had a rough time with the Sharks as well, very draggy.

Wanted to like the Fine line of aftershaves, but just can't do it. They all smell too strong for me....maybe my nose is extra sensitive. Every time I use one, it just lingers way too long for my tastes. I realize that's what most folks are looking for, but I prefer my aftershave to slowly fade in about 2-3 hours. Fine scents last all day on me.

Parker 87r and ATT Calypso R1.
Both were beautiful razors and I saw so many good reviews. Each of them ended up being too aggressive and I would end up with nicks unless I was extra careful.

Lately? Voskhod blades. And it's a shame because I really want to like these cheap Soviet suckers. But they're just too...tuggy.

And I ordered 100 of them.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wanted to like the Fine line of aftershaves, but just can't do it. They all smell too strong for me....maybe my nose is extra sensitive. Every time I use one, it just lingers way too long for my tastes. I realize that's what most folks are looking for, but I prefer my aftershave to slowly fade in about 2-3 hours. Fine scents last all day on me.
+1 on this!!! I picked up a sample of Fine's Platinum A/S -- put a spritz (and I mean a single spritz) on the palm of my hand, brushed my hand on my neck and face; and made the mistake of getting in a car for a road trip. Everyone in the car complained about how much scent was wafting off me, and it was certainly all I could smell. Stopped at a gas station to rinse it off with water....still had a faded scent on me for the rest of the day. I don't wear cologne, and I'm looking for more of a skin treatment with a light scent that is pretty much gone in a couple of hours. It was my bad, and no disrespect to those who prefer a strong A/S, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Things that just didn't work for me:

-Arko; Scent was fine, lather was great, but it irritated my skin, so away it went.
-Feather blades; I've tried them a few times. Every few years I decide to try them again. They just don't do it for me. I don't even bother trying new blades anymore; I just stick to my Israeli red Personnas.

I have to say, while the Gillette NEW didn't work for the OP, it is my daily driver. Best razor I've tried, hands down; got rid of all my others.

Prorasso. Pre and post shave.
The first does nothing.. The second wreaks like vapo rub and reminds me of being a sick little boy

For me it’s aftershaves in general, my wife calls them old man smell. Here’s the kicker, I’m 58 years old wow. Last I tried is B&N reserve line.

Most creams. Over the past year I've been trying samples of many of the creams people rave about...TOBS, Dr. Harris, Castle Forbes, Proraso...and none of them are slick enough for me. They all make nice lather, and smell great!, but they just don't work for me.

Edwin Jagger travel brush in best badger. I had really high expectations of this brush having read the 5 star reviews off the site I bought it from. Turns out it is hands down the floppiest brush Ive ever used..theres just no backbone at all & the best badger bristles feel like pure badger or worse. My new travel brush is a Simpsons Classic 1 & Its absolutely fantastic..sucks wasting money on stuff you will never use again but live & learn I guess..

Top Bottom