What's new

Products from Mexico

I was wondering if there were any recommended software from Mexico.

My recent foray into a local Indian grocery and gets of shaving creams, prompted these thoughts.

There are tons of Mercados in Houston and I would like to try some Mexican products if there are any. I can't recall seeing any recommended thoush.

thanks

I don't think there's much down in Mexico. Gillette sells a brushless cream called Prestobarba, maybe it'll lather up though
proxy.php

Haven't seen much mention of Mexican, or "available in Mexico" shaving products here.

The one that does pop up seems to be the Brazilian Gillette blade "Gillette Mejoradas".

Sounds like something worth looking for.

However, this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46772&highlight=mejorada , has a comment that suggests that everyone there has gone to cartridge razors, so it might be that traditional products have been supplanted by canned goo, as well.

The "Zote" soap sounds interesting.

I'll be looking for at least the blades and Zote, on my next trip to Mexico, but who knows when that might be?

Let us know if you find anything in the mercados!

- Mike

heno de pravia aftershave from spain is one of my all time favorites,I recently bought a matching heno de pravia talc and it is made in mexico...good talc for sure.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you buy brut in the US/Canada it's made in Mexico.

I think that this is one area where the U.S. has provided a greater level of product influence over the years. Gillette had a very early foothold in Mexico and because of the quality of product that was associated with the U.S., indigenous products may have been choked off before they could develop.

India, Japan, and China have so much geographical distance from the U.S. and Europe, and this may have allowed these areas to develop their own products due to a reduce level of "Western" product availability.

Not exactly for shaving but of interest perhaps. I picked up a jar of Palmolive Brilliantina con aciete de oliva. (Brilliantine with olive oil) in a Tijuana drugstore last week. It's very nice stuff and around a buck for 53g. :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
my brut shaving cream is made in brazil !! I wonder what else is out there we don't know about

I was thinking aftershave... However, I'm looking forward to have the Brut shave!

Zote seems like it'd actually be useful. Folks here seemed to assume it was some kind of laundry detergent. While it's true that it's marketed for doing laundry, it's a pretty old school bar soap, like just about every boutique shaving soap on the market. I've never thought to shave with it (just whipped up some quick with a horse hair brush, seems to lather OK), but I use it to wash my hands at the kitchen sink, and it behaves like Ivory. The scent is light, pleasant, and doesn't linger. I'm guessing as a shaving soap, it would be a too drying for my tastes, but would probably work, none the less.

I don't think there is really anything diffrent for shaving. For nice soaps I use 7 Machos (also a great cologne). For other colognes and aftershaves there is Flordia Water and Sanbornes Orange Blossom (both are US brands). Hair Tonics are Tres Flores and Jockey Club. There is nothing really unique in shaving products.

I don't think there's much down in Mexico. Gillette sells a brushless cream called Prestobarba, maybe it'll lather up though
proxy.php
I realise it's been a fair while since your message was posted but I've only just seen it. Most interesting - I still remember quite a lot about the story of this product in Gillette. The original concept in the mid 1970s was for a cheap shave prep predominantly for African markets. The formulation was developed in Gillette's labs in Reading UK by a guy named Peter Hopper. It really was low cost and it was overstretching the imagination to describe it as a cream. Certainly nobody in the company referred to it as such. It was just a carbomer gel which gave lubricity to the shave. It is white only because the product also contains a pigment - titanium dioxide.
The original formula did not contain this pigment but when it was subjected to a small test market somewhere in Africa (I forget where - and small because there was hardly any money in the budget for the test) a big negative was the lack of a trace showing the shaver which bits he'd shaved and which bits he hadn't. So the white pigment was added to address this.
In the event it never was marketed anywhere in Africa or indeed anywhere in the Eastern hemisphere and the project was dropped. A few years later Gillette's Latin-American markets submitted a request for a low cost shave prep and this shelved project was dusted off and the product went on sale.
Interesting to learn it was still available at least in 2010.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I picked up an excellent Mexican-made aftershave in Miami, called Don Jose Grisi. It's a medicinal balm.

I did a thread in the aftershave forum. But you're right, not many items de alli!

AA

Visited the El Mariachi "Supermercado" on Decker Boulevard in Columbia, SC last week and did a thorough search of the store (and it's a BIG store) for shaving products. None to be found.

I did, however, have an excellent lunch at the little restaurant in the back. HUGE portions accompanied by fresh in-house made tortillas and red and green table hot sauce. Recommended.

Top Bottom