What's new

Problem with a boar brush

I have a semogue 820 boar brush which I had the impression didn't hydrate well. I thought it was due to accumulation of soap or lime residues.
So I had the great idea of putting the brush in water with a bit of vinegar. Since then, the brush eats the soap, or the lather disappears.
What has happened and how could I solve it?

I have had this problem on trying to remove lime buildup in a brush.

The suggestion to give it a good long soak is a good one. Mine seemed to regain it's lathering abilities after a bit of use, so a good soak would probably speed that process up. 👍

I have a semogue 820 boar brush which I had the impression didn't hydrate well. I thought it was due to accumulation of soap or lime residues.
So I had the great idea of putting the brush in water with a bit of vinegar. Since then, the brush eats the soap, or the lather disappears.
What has happened and how could I solve it?
How many lathers since the vinegar soak? Has it been many lathers and the problem just won't go away? Or has it been a handful?

Synthetic brushes are great,
especially if you want to avoid learning cosmetology.

I think it is not necessary learning cosmetology. Maybe just a little chemist.

Let it soak in water with a little detergent, for maybe an hour and that should rid it of the problem.

Clothes detergent, dishes detergent,..?

I have had this problem on trying to remove lime buildup in a brush.

The suggestion to give it a good long soak is a good one. Mine seemed to regain it's lathering abilities after a bit of use, so a good soak would probably speed that process up. 👍

A long soak in water with detergent?

How many lathers since the vinegar soak? Has it been many lathers and the problem just won't go away? Or has it been a handful?

Three. One for shaving, next day other just to try on my hands and a third one for shaving.

Probably still some vinegar reacting with the soap. The long soak with some Dawn dish liquid should take care of it.
I live in Spain. I don't know Dawn, but I think it must be similar to Fairy.
+1! This should do the trick! And you have nothing to lose.
I will try with Fairy, which I think must be similar to Dawn.

Thank you all of you for your answers. I even though of soaking the bush with sodium bicarbonate to eliminate the acidity due to the vinegar.

Let it soak in dish detergent and water for about an hour and that should do it. Just mix it up like you were going to wash a real dirty mug.

I have found my boars to hold less water than my badgers (even when soaked), ergo my badgers provide for a better hydrated and superior longer lasting lather.
Do boars change overtime concerning the water retention or is this just the inherent difference between boar and badger brushes?
My boars ends have split nicely and they are extremely soft, btdubs.

I don't use boars much these days, but in my early shaving days the only problem I had with them was that they eventually either wore out (kept getting shorter over the years) or they eventually shedded bristles until it wasn't too useful. It took a while. I should mention they were cheap brushes (Surrey, which eventually became Van der Hagen).

More directly to your question, badger hair hydrates better than boar, but a well broken in boar still works very well. They tend to build lather a little quicker.

I have several Boars brushes. Always washed with dish soap. Today I used the Badger hair and it was a nice change. No issues with any of them, but one. The Rubberset 400, I have lost to my wife. Who loves it with Sterling Peach or TOB Rose. Not complaining but....

Top Bottom