What's new

A really dumb question - hats in the office?

Just curious - but what is the purpose of the indoor hat? I get outdoor hats, and I wear one daily. But once at my desk indoors, it goes on the coat hook (over my coat) until I get ready to go outdoors. I don't shave my head, but am folicly challenged. So in the winter, I've occasionally broken out my skull cap for a period of time if the office is really cold.
Short of that though, it sounds like you have a pretty open slate for your head wear. Find something comfortable for you and it should be fine. I'd think for indoors you'd want a narrow brim.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A Stetson Open Road might work. My son in law wears them most everywhere. In my part of the world, central Texas, ball caps are worn everywhere and all the time. It is commonplace to see them at dinner tables both in restaurants and in homes.

1643122524833.png

Could swap the tassel for a propeller to really class it up!

23 years USAF never wear a hat indoors unless armed.

I don't like the current trend of indoor hat wearing. I was raised a gentleman always removed his hat indoors, and for the ladies. Now when we go out to a nice dinner, seems many tables have someone with some kind of gimme hat, usually backwards or pushed back. And don't get me started on the rest of their dress...

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Duckbill Ivy Cap.

They are casual, form fitted, bill can curve like a ball hat, material to suit the weather or dress, cotton for casual, wool/tweed for business casual.
I like this look. I sometimes wear it reversed with the bill in the back, casual, resembling a baret from the front. Lots of space for a company logo or pin. I think it would be a casual artistic look if that would fly in your workplace.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Eh, boss or no, wearing a hat in an office is pretty gauche. Maybe okay in a factory, warehouse, or other working facility. Kitchens and hospitals, of course, for sanitary reasons. But I'll stipulate that manners and customs vary across regions and social situations.

The best "step up" from a ball cap is a flat cap. There are many styles of flat caps, such as the newsboy or afore-mentioned scally. Try a few on and see what looks best on your head shape. IMHO, a logo on a flat cap is an abomination and to be avoided at all costs. Get a cap with the company logo colors, if you feel compelled to demonstrate your fealty.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, you're working in an operational control room type place right?
I mean, though it's not an industrial or shop environment, it isn't like it's a desk in a cubicle or "office" exactly.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
23 years USAF never wear a hat indoors unless armed.

I don't like the current trend of indoor hat wearing. I was raised a gentleman always removed his hat indoors, and for the ladies. Now when we go out to a nice dinner, seems many tables have someone with some kind of gimme hat, usually backwards or pushed back. And don't get me started on the rest of their dress...
My hat always comes off in-doors if a lady is present. I never wear a hat at the table. I can still hear my Mother chewing out my sisters boyfriend for sitting down at the dinner table with a ball cap on.

Put me in the camp of no hats inside, too. I mean, what are we, peasants? :)

[I seem to lose my video when I post. Search for 30 Rock, what am I, a farmer on You Tube for what I was trying to reference!]

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Should have expected this from a group of wet shaving enthusiasts :laugh:

I wore my ball cap in the restaurant today for lunch. Along with the other 4 people I work with. And probably over half of everyone else in the place. We do it every day. Oddly enough I take my hat off when I’m home. But it stays on 99% of anywhere else I go.

It’s 2022 y’all...

If I'm not mistaken, you're working in an operational control room type place right?
I mean, though it's not an industrial or shop environment, it isn't like it's a desk in a cubicle or "office" exactly.

Yes exactly. No cubicles. There are offices but I won’t be in one. I’ve got some good ideas from everyone here so I’m off to go hat shopping. Ya’ll have fun with your no hat indoors group chat :001_tt2:

An operational control room seems different than a regular office.

To me 2022 does not matter. I am sure there were folks wearing hats indoors in 1952, too!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Will probably try a few others from Stetson. They have a decent selection of hats.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don’t care about the “rule” of no hats indoors. That’s basically 1950’s outdated hat rules. Look around next time you are at a restaurant, anyone that walks in with a hat is wearing it at the table.

Put me in the camp of no hats inside, too. I mean, what are we, peasants? :)

[I seem to lose my video when I post. Search for 30 Rock, what am I, a farmer on You Tube for what I was trying to reference!]

Top Bottom