What's new

Preshave and Face Lathering

The feeling of face lathering is very pleasurable with all of my brushes. I had a 6-month breakthrough which a good preshave soap/cream/oil alleviated 90% of my tugging issues. Well, face lathering seems to scrub away the preshave layer. For best results I bowl lather, just beginning to avoid irritation from daily shaves. For reference, my main soaps are Proraso, RazoRock, and B&M.

Is it possible to face lather while maintaining the preshave layer? Shave soap alone doesn’t seem to provide that super duper slickness for me.

Happy shaves!

Mainly Proraso White cream and Ach Brito Glyce lime. I have Pacific Shaving oil, but didn’t care for it much.

Any recommendations?

Apply a hot flannel to exfoliate. Wash stubble area with glycerine soap and use brush to lather it on face. Apply hot flannel again and partially rinse. Then apply shaving soap or cream and enjoy an amazing shave!

Last edited:
Interesting!

Many like them, but I find that preshave products add little to my shaves. That is so long as I have an excellent lather!

Hey Altonius, I find that Ach Brito is about as good as it gets. In my experience it can make literally any soap as slick as the best soaps. I found I wasn't getting as much slickness a few years ago, then I started adding a lot more water and realised all my soaps could get a lot slicker. MWF was a big recipient of much higher levels of hydration. Might now apply to you but was a game changer for me! All the best, JM

Is it possible to face lather while maintaining the preshave layer? Shave soap alone doesn’t seem to provide that super duper slickness for me.
Try a 2 or 3 drops of glycerine in your lather for extra slickness. I find even with bowl lathering the stubble still needs a 3 minute work in with the brush before the first pass, so try that hybrid approach. If using preshave then try a 2 minute work in at first. It should blend in with any preshave product.

Last edited:
Question for you guys. I have noticed the CF preshave and AoS preshave are almost philosophical nemeses. The art of shaving one is so thick it feels like thick engine lubricant and while it doesn’t feel “glidy” it seems to be doing something. Castle Forbes on the other hand feels like it is making things “glidy” but feels so light I can’t imagine face lathering would do anything but wash it away. The T&H felt right in btwn but wasn’t so into the lemon scent to be honest.

I am a bit surprised that a slew of products that purport to be doing the same thing have such a wide range of viscosities and solubilities to be honest do they really do anything or is it placebo effect?

regards
avi

to be honest do they really do anything or is it placebo effect?

I share your point...is really hard to pinpoint if they really make a difference, I tried a few options for preshave oils a few years back and decided they were not for me.

Instead I concentrated on hydrating my whiskers well enough prior to shaving and working on having optimal lathers...haven't seem to need anything else so the simpler...the better!

I'm interested in this controversial topic too.
My intuition tells me that a pre shave seems to be counterproductive with some soaps.
And my sense of logic tells me that face lathering would mostly negate the application of the preshave lotion.
Probably a lot of anecdotal evidence but nothing so far seems to convince me either way.

I've tried both ends of the pre-shave approach - the light slick products and the thicker oils. I've only been able to determine that I like using SOMETHING for pre-shave. A pre-shave product helps protect my skin beyond what the lather provides and it affects how my face feels after the shave is done.
I think it comes down to your personal preference based on facial hair, shaving instruments, shave technique and even time intervals between shaves. Longer growth holds some pre-shave products better during the lathering process. Oils might be better in dry climates or for dry skin, or if the shave soap is drying.
Currently I'm using an oil by OSMA I picked up from a shave shop in France. When traveling, though, a glycerin soap not fully rinsed off before the lather works fine for me.

Question for you guys. I have noticed the CF preshave and AoS preshave are almost philosophical nemeses. The art of shaving one is so thick it feels like thick engine lubricant and while it doesn’t feel “glidy” it seems to be doing something. Castle Forbes on the other hand feels like it is making things “glidy” but feels so light I can’t imagine face lathering would do anything but wash it away. The T&H felt right in btwn but wasn’t so into the lemon scent to be honest.

I am a bit surprised that a slew of products that purport to be doing the same thing have such a wide range of viscosities and solubilities to be honest do they really do anything or is it placebo effect?

regards
avi
You sir have nailed it. They are completely different products for different purposes.

Some are simply heavy oils that could be used if you are brand new to wet shaving, or worried that your skin might need extra protection from your blade choice.. think first shave with an R41, AC or straight.

Other preshaves are glycerine based and add considerable slickness to an average or below average soap. I never miss using a glycerine based preshave when shaving with Proraso green in summer.. nothing better that that that exquisite scent and top tier slickness. Ach Brito Lime Oil used with Pro Green can perform well beyond anything the cream can do on it's own. Period. Even when it is used with it's own preshave product. It's not even close. Know that I make that statement with the utmost respect.

I also keep a chunk of glycerine preshave in my dopp kit. If you travel and the water is horribly hard, at least your lather will be perfect, even when using that old chunk of travel soap sitting in the corner of your case.

The horrible reviews of pre-shave (ie they don't do anything) are from people using them in situations other than the above. The best glycerine preshave used with MWF or MdC would do nothing. That said they are a solid (and I would say necessary) part of anyone's kit, when used in the some very specific circumstances.

Best wishes, JM

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used Proraso pre shave for a while and found it added nothing to my shave other than a great menthol smell, and nice wind chill on a cold morning. In some cases I thought it made it harder to achieve a decent quality lather and eventually I stopped using it. It is OK as a post shave in small quantities, and finally I used it up as a body moisturiser.

I use stirling pre shave menthol soap as a preshave on a scrub spongue
Just top it with a good lather and glide away. Definitely a difference
What not to do well using the same brush is a no no go you get crap lather. Still glides

Using floid shave oil sometimes but more as a last pass agent.

Ì used pre shave cream when I first started de shaving. It did help, but I think this was down to using lower end soaps. Better soaps such as SV, do not need any aids as they are superb performers. Lather from cheaper soaps may look good, but do not have the same qualities of better soaps. Others of course may dissagrèe.

Interesting!

Many like them, but I find that preshave products add little to my shaves. That is so long as I have an excellent lather!

I promise not to get started on one of my rants about Pre-Shave Oil. But it works for some and not for others. I see it as totally optional and up t the individual. But I guess that could be said about a lot of the stuff we talk about here. But anyone who wants to use a Pre-shave oil just needs to go the grocery store to get some EVOO, and refrain from buying anything fancy which is more snake oil than shave oil.

Some are simply heavy oils that could be used if you are brand new to wet shaving, or worried that your skin might need extra protection from your blade choice.. think first shave with an R41, AC or straight.

Best wishes, JM

I seem to by sheer naïveté come to this same conclusion and now really love the AoS oil and even use it btwn passes. To be honest I actually hate it, as it feels like I am slathering up a rack of baby back ribs for Mother’s Day BBQ, it is unpleasant all around. That said for folks who like me who absolutely have no idea what they are doing and new to this, it’s the difference btwn feeling raw afterwards and feeling reasonable and only slightly “tingly” ( and this is using something mild like the 89 )

regards
avi

Well said Avi, there is certainly a time and place for oils. Keep using them and as your confidence grows you will need them less and less. JM

Top Bottom