What's new

Pre-Shave Question

Does anyone know of anything I can use as a pre shave oil that I can get locally like at Walgreens or CVS. Does corn huskers lotion work good as a pre shave type oil?

Well, corn huskers lotion is not an oil. You can use many different oils and even combine the different types. I believe some people do use oils as simple as extra virgin olive oil for preshave prep.

Extra Virgin olive oil works quite nicely to condition dry skin for shaving. Avoid higher quality, salad grade oils - they tend to be highly aromatic and can make you smell like pizza. A single dime sized drop of a good cooking grade oil worked well in to the skin will do wonders for your shave.

Best Regards

Graham

If you have a health food store around they offer lots of different oils. I get some oil at Wild Oates for $4.99 a bottle that last forever.

Extra Virgin olive oil works quite nicely to condition dry skin for shaving. Avoid higher quality, salad grade oils - they tend to be highly aromatic and can make you smell like pizza. A single dime sized drop of a good cooking grade oil worked well in to the skin will do wonders for your shave.

Best Regards

Graham

+1 I have been vacillating between oil and no oil, and I always have MUCH nicer shaves when I use an oil before each lather. It can be a bit messy, not too bad just have to deal with a little oil on the blade and the fingers but it hasn't thus far gummed up my blade. I believe what happens is the oil acts to trap cut hair and skin and this collects on the blade, nothing a second under hot running water won't fix. Here's what I did:

Got some cold pressed pure Castor oil from New Seasons (health food store) used some cold pressed olive oil, mixed 50/50 into a 4oz squeeze bottle I bought for .49 cents at New Seasons. I put a few drops onto my fingertips right before I lather up and rub it under my chin, jaw and neck, lather right on top. Don't need more than a few drops per pass, I have a feeling that needlessly using more may be the cause for some to complain about the gummed up razor. I took a look at the Art of Shaving pre-shave oil ingredients and guess what they were: Castor oil and Olive oil. I also have jojoba and Vitamin E (from soy) oil that I sometimes mix in. All extremely good for the skin. One could even add a few drops of an essential to detract from the oil smell if preferred.
I have skin on the dry, sensitive side and coarse facial hair. I believe that the folks who recommend NOT using a preshave oil at first are well intentioned, but may not be aware of how tough the combination of sensitive skin and coarse facial hair can be, and I know mine is certainly not the most extreme case. To each his own I say, but don't feel badly about trying a pre-shave oil because someone is telling you that you ought to work on technique first. Your shaves are going to improve, oil or not, and you can always fore go the oil later to see about perfecting your technique even further.

You can pick up a bottle of jojoba oil inexpensively. I got mine at Trader Joe's and it works nicely when I'm in the mood for oil.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Does anyone know of anything I can use as a pre shave oil that I can get locally like at Walgreens or CVS. Does corn huskers lotion work good as a pre shave type oil?

You can get Watkins lemon or lavender essential oil at Target and a few other places. Do a search on it. I have posted on it before in a some other pre-shave oil threads.

I've used olive oil, jojoba oil, even baby oil and mineral oil :)eek:)

Have to be honest, I haven't noticed it adding too much to the shave...

but I say try it! Certainly seems to work for some folks (and it's pretty cheap).

Sweet almond oil, originally made for massage, so very light. The 12 oz bottle was $8 at Whole Foods, and would last an Army platoon a few months with daily shaving. Just a few drops before the shower and I am good to go.

Top Bottom