What's new

Pre-Shave Oil issue.

It is not a badge of honor to boast... For those that find it helpful it can make a huge difference in the shave results and post shave comfort.

I have to say this is quite the straw man, as I've never seen anyone ever "boast" about not needing it nor claim a "badge of honor" for not using it. I'm also still searching for the users who truly found it made a "huge" difference. Huge to me is night and day, black and white, ground breaking...never heard that before. It might have some modest utility for a select few but I've been doing this for 45 years and my father for 81 years and our combined 126 years of experience suggests it's primary use is to benefit the sellers not the users. I'm delighted that some like it & use it but if someone puts up a post looking for advice I'll tell them what I think.

Now I know Moses brought down the shave-wiki with the tablets but that doesn't mean that every item is without dispute. As with any shave product, user error or competency plays a big part in its effectiveness or lack there-of. That said, the PSOs I tried coated the ends of my bristles when I face lathered and required detergents to clean out. Are there new and different formulations where this wouldn't happen? Entirely possible, but I'll admit I have little motivation to test every PSO that hits the market.

I am curious about your seemingly contradictory statements "That's right, water will remove oil when it is part of a soapy solution" and "I understand PSO does more to set up a barrier to contain water already in the skin than anything". Either the soapy lather washes away the barrier or it doesn't...not sure you can have it both ways. There is no question that certain detergents will breakdown most oils depending on the alkaline level and can then serve as an effective surfacantant with the water. But shaving soaps are not formulated principally to clean but rather to lubricate (all traditional soaps do both to one degree or another) so as in most things it depends on both the make-up of the PSO and the shave cream or soap. Blanket statements should be read with caution.

Again, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your PSO but there's no reason to hop on a high horse when others find it lacking in one way or another.

I have to say this is quite the straw man, as I've never seen anyone ever "boast" about not needing it nor claim a "badge of honor" for not using it.

You may not have run across it in your two months on the boards, but those are actually pretty common refrains - "PSOs are training wheels, you have to wean yourself off them" "I used to use a PSO but then I learned to shave properly" , etc.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have to say this is quite the straw man, as I've never seen anyone ever "boast" about not needing it nor claim a "badge of honor" for not using it. I'm also still searching for the users who truly found it made a "huge" difference. Huge to me is night and day, black and white, ground breaking...never heard that before. It might have some modest utility for a select few but I've been doing this for 45 years and my father for 81 years and our combined 126 years of experience suggests it's primary use is to benefit the sellers not the users. I'm delighted that some like it & use it but if someone puts up a post looking for advice I'll tell them what I think.

Now I know Moses brought down the shave-wiki with the tablets but that doesn't mean that every item is without dispute. As with any shave product, user error or competency plays a big part in its effectiveness or lack there-of. That said, the PSOs I tried coated the ends of my bristles when I face lathered and required detergents to clean out. Are there new and different formulations where this wouldn't happen? Entirely possible, but I'll admit I have little motivation to test every PSO that hits the market.

I am curious about your seemingly contradictory statements "That's right, water will remove oil when it is part of a soapy solution" and "I understand PSO does more to set up a barrier to contain water already in the skin than anything". Either the soapy lather washes away the barrier or it doesn't...not sure you can have it both ways. There is no question that certain detergents will breakdown most oils depending on the alkaline level and can then serve as an effective surfacantant with the water. But shaving soaps are not formulated principally to clean but rather to lubricate (all traditional soaps do both to one degree or another) so as in most things it depends on both the make-up of the PSO and the shave cream or soap. Blanket statements should be read with caution.

Again, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your PSO but there's no reason to hop on a high horse when others find it lacking in one way or another.

First off, I wasn't hopping on a high horse, so lighten up. I think you know what I'm talking about, but you are having too much fun ripping on me about my post. There is no contradiction. The oil will set up a barrier and you could completely remove it with soap and water if you wanted to scrub it off, however, the point is to rub it into the skin and the lather lays on top of the skin & barrier and adheres to the oil barrier.

I don't remember ever saying there was a night and day difference, but a noticeable difference. I have used it off and on over the years and found it to be most helpful when my skin is dry. When my skin is very dry I am more prone to getting weepers when I shave and no weepers if I use PSO. When my skin is not dry I usually don't mess with the extra step.

Some guys swear by it and wouldn't want to shave without it. I use it when ever I feel like it. Sometimes I just like rubbing the oil into my face before shaving because it feels good, nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom