What's new

Pre Shave: Cream or oil?

Greetings!

I am currently using the Proraso Red P/S cream but I want to pull the trigger and try out a P/S oil such as TheArtOfShaving one which is a bit expensive but what the heck let’s treat ourselves.

Has anyone found one to be better than the other? (cream vs oil). Cheers!

I usually use Jack Black Beard Lube alone but I have used it under a lathering cream and its fantastic. Just buy the small tube, because as a preshave that tube will last a very long time. It is much slicker than any oil.

I use Proraso Pre almost daily.
As far as preshave oil, the only one that was at useful was Musgo Real, all the others made zero difference in the shave and were messy. The Musgo had a much different and very light consistency compared to the others.

I've used Proraso pre-shave and various others including oil. I've found Jack Black Beard Lube to be the best. It only takes a small amount on a still damp just washed face; less than a pea size.

I use Proraso Pre almost daily.
As far as preshave oil, the only one that was at useful was Musgo Real, all the others made zero difference in the shave and were messy. The Musgo had a much different and very light consistency compared to the others.

Ditto on the proraso preshave cream but slightly curious so I went ahead and ordered a bottle of AOS oil…arriving Monday let’s see.

oils work significantly better for me. The proraso preshaves creams work reasonably well but for me they have too many synthetic ingredients. I would stay away from AOS oil as many don't have a great experience with it. Perhaps you could try ShaveSecret, American Crea or King of shaves oil. These are reasonably priced and I find them to work quite well with good formulations. You won't be out too much money if you find you don't like using a preshave oil this way. I also really just like using plain jojoba oil. Nice mild scent and the best face feel imo.

I use Stirling's unscented pre-shave soap. It lathers like crazy and has many of the same oils that the various pre-shave products have. I wet my face with hot water then lather up and apply the soap. I do not rinse. It gets absorbed in my face. I then lather with shave cream or soap. It works as well any other pre-shave product and it cheap. $5 for a bar. It will last for months.

I've used Proraso pre-shave and various others including oil. I've found Jack Black Beard Lube to be the best. It only takes a small amount on a still damp just washed face; less than a pea size.
I happened upon Proraso Single Blade beard balm and like to use the mentholated Wood & Spice for when I have plus growth to cut through.

Had great success with Truefitt’s oil and for me had been very long lasting.
full

Last edited:
Greetings!

I am currently using the Proraso Red P/S cream but I want to pull the trigger and try out a P/S oil such as TheArtOfShaving one which is a bit expensive but what the heck let’s treat ourselves.

Has anyone found one to be better than the other? (cream vs oil). Cheers!
Everyone’s skin and whiskers are different. What works for one may not apply to everyone. I had tried many pre-shaves before finding the one best suited to my skin, whiskers and shave. There isn’t any one size fits all. You need to try them for yourself. My best advice is don’t try to use up stuff that doesn’t work for your shave, trash it and move on. Healthy skin and soft whiskers will enhance your shave enjoyment.

Welcome to B&B. Happy Shaves.

I have both, and use both.

I have AOS unscented pre-shave oil, Stirling unscented pre-shave oil, and Bevel pre-shave oil. I can happily use any of them, but the AOS is too thick. I probably won’t replace the AOS or the Bevel when they are used up. The Stirling is so much cheaper, and works just as well. I want to get it in a couple other scents. For sure, I want to buy the Stirling sandalwood pre-shave oil.

In cream, I have Noxzema Protective Shave and Proraso red pre-shave. I use the Noxzema with minty shaving creams and soaps and the Proraso with sandalwood shaving creams and soaps. I would happily rebuy either of them, if I ran out.

Has anyone tried the Noxzema Protective Shave as a shaving cream? Is it technically a shaving cream? I just use it as a pre-shave. I have a stockpile of this stuff. They only make it in Italy, now. My local wet shaving store (TRC) carries it.

Attachments

• F0377199-6D94-4836-91BF-C105CB992AEB.jpeg
    F0377199-6D94-4836-91BF-C105CB992AEB.jpeg
    883.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've used both the Jack Black and Proraso products and they both work great. I found them more expensive than I wanted to spend for daily use. I ended up making my own oil based on a mixture I found on B&B.

The mix is 50% grapeseed oil, 25% jojoba oil, and 25% sweet almond oil, with the addition of lemon essential oil for scent. The mixture works great and is much less expensive than a commercial product.

I used the AOS oil when I started DE in ‘09! Even made my own, since it’s kinda expensive. Started a new job and didn’t bring any pre-shave oil in my luggage. Went without and learned how to lather using CELLA. Years passed and recently I use a pre-shave soap from PAA or Ach Brito Glyce Lime. Pre-shaves are nice to use but not necessary.

I enjoy using Proraso single blade cyress & vetyver pre-shave and Proraso white pre-shave. They work great. The
cyress & vetyver cream has a strong fragrance, but I love the smell and especially use it with wood and green scented soaps. After reading reviews on B&B, I plan to try Proraso blue next.

For oils, my favorite is St. James of London. It has a very nice mandarin & patchouli scent. It also has a pump to dispense the oil, making it easy to manage and control the amount used.

Proraso PreShave works so well that I never felt the need to try anything else. I use Proraso green, white and red preshave. As a side note, my favorite Aftershave Balm is Proraso Blue (Nicer consistency than Proraso White balm).

I've always used a preshave of some kind. Last year I started working on my own blend of (Grape seed, golden Jojoba, Sweet Almond and Sesame), which I scented with hinoki and kuromoji. It is a nice oil without too much greasiness, gives a nice additional cushion and lasting post shave feel.
Just a month or so ago I made a discovery by chance and have now created a preshave balm. And have to say I think it trumps my oil. I still use my signature oil blend but in addition I added beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter and a little stearic acid. I tried it on my face as a preshave and was really impressed. It is highly moisturizing, and creates an occlusive layer which I feel really helps to protect the skin and provide awesome cushioning. Post shave the skin stays moisturised all day.
So now I'm using that each day.
But I'm also going to try and see what it would feel like with a drier butter such as mango in place of the cocoa, because in the summer the cocoa will be too heavy.

Top Bottom