What's new

Pre & Post shave products. Help a newbie!

Shaving before your shower is good prep.

I like to use a pre-shave soap. The best I've tried is the PAA Ice Cube 2.0. If you don't like menthol, there is an unscented Cube 2.0. This adds slickness and helps hydrate the whiskers if you did not shower first.

cube-2.png
For alum, you can use an alum stick that I find much easier to deal with than the block type.

omega-alum-stick.jpeg

I don't use alum too often, but it is good after a rough shave. I normally just use witch hazel. Witch hazel mixed with some Turkish Lemon cologne water makes a pleasant aftershave with a scent that doesn't linger long.
dickinson's-1.jpeg1613260877072.png

Using 3P right now, but almost always have some pre-shave cream as lubrication, even its just ordinary skin lotion.

Almost always apply alum and witch hazel afterwards.

Just personal habit. I'm a creature of ritual.

Many enjoy and benefit from pre-shave products. However, for me these add little or nothing to a warm shower. So I don’t use them.

After shaving I enjoy a splash (usually alcohol-based or Lucky Tiger). If I need it I follow with a moisturizer. :thumbup: :thumbup:

YOUTUBE.COM WET SHAVING CHANNELS
Another Cut Above
briarwood138
Cap7597
Executive Shaving
geofatboy
johnshaves 101
Ken's Shaving & BS'ing
Kensurfs
Kevy Shaves
MadScientist .OfWetShaving
mantic59
Mark Szorady
Michael Freedberg
nick shaves
PaulHFilms
RazorEmporium
Robin Hood Shaving Artisans
sgrdddy_shaves
Shaving With Rich
SinatraLennon
The Canuck Shaver
The Clean Shaver
The Virtual Groomroom

Eben Stone

Staff member
Is it really possible to have ZERO irritation after a BBS shave? I mean, it’s that what toners and balms are for, to sooth an (hopefully only slightly) irritated skin?

Yes, I think it's possible, but rare. My goal is a zero irritation shave. I also *lazily* attempt BBS every shave, but I consider that a bonus if I achieve it, not a goal. If I do everything right the alum will feel "like a popsicle" and if I do anything wrong it will either tingle a little or painful burn, depending on how badly I screw up. I'm not skilled enough to get a perfect shave every time, so sometimes I get some tingle or a little burn. In 5 months of traditional shaving I've achieved maybe 3 or 4 zero irritation BBS shaves. That sounds pathetic but I'd rather have zero irritation than BBS if I had to pick only one. But I can say with confidence that almost all of my shaves are both very close and zero irritation, and I'm pretty happy with that.

I shave first then take a shower. I use Proraso red pre-shave. It seems to help, but it's difficult to say how much it helps, because I've never done a side by side comparison without it.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve never used a pre shave, sounds like folks get varied results. I lather and go. I limit product to quality soap or cream. Nivea balm helped soothe below the jawline irritation in the beginning, but that’s a rarity now. Never used alum or styptic. I like a splash, but not on the face. Just a water rinse and really limit what goes on my face. Feels right for me.

YMMV but I don’t think any pre-shave is necessary, nor is any post-shave product necessary, but a nice splash of aftershave feels great and helps w any nicks or cuts.

I found a warm to hot shower is good enough face prep. I was gifted some pre shave stuff that smells of chemical woods. I tried it a couple times and found no difference after a shower. They do help if I haven't showered but am shaving for some reason. Not essential, but I can definitely feel a difference. Not enough difference to buy some, but if it came with something or was a gift, I'd definitely hang onto it.

Post shave for me was always a bit of splash. Depending on the day, usually either bay rum or Clubman. If it's been a rough shave or I'm being especially good to Mrs. Rookie, Aqua Velva. That's always been good enough to stop most nicks and weepers.

But, as always, YMMV.

Shaving before your shower is good prep.

I like to use a pre-shave soap. The best I've tried is the PAA Ice Cube 2.0. If you don't like menthol, there is an unscented Cube 2.0. This adds slickness and helps hydrate the whiskers if you did not shower first.

View attachment 1222655
For alum, you can use an alum stick that I find much easier to deal with than the block type.

View attachment 1222650

I don't use alum too often, but it is good after a rough shave. I normally just use witch hazel. Witch hazel mixed with some Turkish Lemon cologne water makes a pleasant aftershave with a scent that doesn't linger long.
View attachment 1222652View attachment 1222653
There are several paa cubes with a scent and no menthol. They also make seasonal cubes they currently have a valentine cube... unfortunately not all resellers sell them let alone in Europe.

Sarir97, I can't offer any suggestions that would improve on the responses you have received above. I can say this, don't go crazy creating an overly involved shaving regime. If it becomes too tedious you may not enjoy it as much. I would offer that adding or removing something from the process should be done to address an issue. Dry skin, in-grown hairs, or just something you enjoy. A good shave doesn't have to be BBS, but it must be enjoyable. If you aren't enjoying it, that's where the adjustments are needed.

The folks on this forum will help you out with great advice. If you are having a specific issue say what that is so the responses can be as specific as possible to help resolve your issue. Enjoy the shaves.

Regards,
Scott

Gentlemen, please help a confused wet-shaving newbie. I shower in the mornings and shave practically every weekday. Is a hot shower enough to moisturize the face?
Is a pre-shave cream or oil necessary, and do you use both together? If so, in what order?
Post shave, I’ve generally slap on Nivea post shave balm and go on with my day. What’s alum and why do I need it? What’s a healing toner? Do you use all three? Just two?
Thanks for any help/advise!
I'm a fairly new wet shaver as well, and I've tried a lot of different combinations in my short time. I know that's not really the recommended approach as the most important thing to do is focus on technique and not products, but those things aren't mutually exclusive in my brain. I always either shave after a shower or after a nice, long face wash with warm water, leaving my face wet while I prep my gear and make my lather.

For pre-shaves I've tried Proraso green (regular) and white (sensitive), and the PAA Cube 2.0. I've sort of settled on the Proraso white because I get the most consistent results with it. I like the Cube, but it can end up feeling "sticky" to me (probably user error). It's a great pre-shave face scrub though.

Post-shave I've tried the Nivea Sensitive, Duke Canon, Thayers witch hazel, and alum. I've used the Nivea forever, even before wet shaving, and I love the stuff. The biggest change, and it may have been a coincidence in that my technique improved, was introducing the Thayers. I'll sometimes, but much less frequently now, use the alum, but I haven't had any irritation with the combination of Thayers followed by the Nivea. I'll sometimes throw on some Duke Cannon before bed, but just because I'm a shaving addict and have nothing else to do at that point!

I think you should focus on your prep rather than spending money on pre shave oils and creams. If your prep isn't good, no cream, oil or whatever is going to make your shaves better. Most people shave after taking a shower. Using cold water might help as well and you can also use a shampoo to soften your beard while taking a shower. Some even use hot towels, but I think that's too much.

Gentlemen, please help a confused wet-shaving newbie. I shower in the mornings and shave practically every weekday. Is a hot shower enough to moisturize the face?
Is a pre-shave cream or oil necessary, and do you use both together? If so, in what order?
Post shave, I’ve generally slap on Nivea post shave balm and go on with my day. What’s alum and why do I need it? What’s a healing toner? Do you use all three? Just two?
Thanks for any help/advise!
Welcome to the club @sarir97!

As for your questions / concerns:

1. Pre-shave oil/cream is NOT at all necessary. A top-quality shaving soap, like Ariana & Evans will have all you need, both pre, during and post shave. Actually, I would advise you against using any of these pre-shave products.

2. You don't need alum, unless you *NEED* it. It's a "tool" - if you nick yourself or end up with a small weeper you stop the bleeding by touching that spot with your alum block. Using alum regularly has no benefits, on the contrary, it dries the skin. Alum is a salt. If you had a rough shave, it can cause SEVERE irritation. Again, it's salt, so it has ZERO soothing or calming effect, quite the opposite.

3. Nivea post-shave balm is excellent and you don't need anything else.

With the above being said, I advocate for taking a shower AFTER the shave, as extensive use of shampoo or bath soap will wash away the natural oils that protect your face and make the skin overly supple. Remember, you want to soften the whiskers, not the skin. So, rinsing with warm (not hot!) water before the shave is enough. Lather up, leave the lather for a couple of minutes, re-lather and you're good to go. Taking a shower after the shave will seal any micro nicks, weepers and wash away any lather residual, so it's not only beneficial, but also rather practical. Out of the shower, rinse your face with cold water, tap dry with clean soft towel or microfiber cloth. Apply A/S of your liking and you're done.

Bottom-line:

Warm water rinse >>> Lather up and let it sit on your face for a few minutes >>> re-lather >>> shave >>>shower >>> cold water rinse >>> tap dry the face >>> apply A/S splash OR balm.

All things being equal, 90% of the shave quality will depend on your technique.
And all things not being equal, 90% of your shave quality will still depend on your technique.

Good luck!

... A good shave doesn't have to be BBS...
If a shave is not a BBS, it's no good.

Just sayin' :straight:

I do get what you're trying to say - enjoy the ritual, the nice smelling soap/cream, the warm lather and soft brush on your skin, the splash at the end. I get it. However, if it's not a BBS, it's all but a wasted effort.

Products can mask but not make up for poor lather and technique, that said I think they can enhance a shave. Grooming Department pre-shave is by far my favorite of those I have tried. Pre-shave oil is okay but not my favorite. I often shave and shower at different times.

Top Bottom