What's new

Pre De Provence 63?

How is Pre De Provence 63 like? Is it pretty good soap? I watched a review about it by Nick Shaves, he liked it a lot but I’d like some more feedback from the gents here. 11 dollars price from Amazon seems like a good deal too. Thanks in advance!

PdP 63 is great shave soap.
Lather is good but IMHO the cedar scent is it's strong point.
Pair it with a nice cedar a/s or cologne.

pre de provence 63 joris ems l'occitane eau des baux stirling coniferous april 26 2016.jpg

Great scent. Performance is ok. It wasn’t a keeper for me but it is great value. Worth a try in my opinion.

Very, very long lasting, good lather, moisturizing, vegan, gentle on your skin, widely available, and cheap. I prefer the herbal scented regular Pre. Number 63 has the scent of a dirty cigarette ashtray to me, but YNMV (your nose may vary). Not my absolute favorite, but I could shave with it the rest of my life without complaint.

#63 is identical in performance to the "Bergamot & Thyme" Pre de Provence shaving soap. I prefer the herbal scent of the Bergamot & Thyme a bit more than the cologne-like scent of #63, since it is more versatile and light.

I don't like being hit over the head with strong scents. Fortunately, after about a year, the #63 has lost some scent strength and now it's more to my taste.

As said above, this is an extremely hard soap and is very dry from the factory. Use a wet brush and don't be shy about loading heavy, the soap will perform well. I think most people that complain about the lather do not load enough soap. Some people complain about post-shave feel, I think triple-milled soaps don't have all the skin conditioning ingredients that many of the artisan soaps have. For me, post shave is fine, clean and non-greasy. If your skin is dry, that is what balms are for.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
#63 is identical in performance to the "Bergamot & Thyme" Pre de Provence shaving soap. I prefer the herbal scent of the Bergamot & Thyme a bit more than the cologne-like scent of #63, since it is more versatile and light.

I don't like being hit over the head with strong scents. Fortunately, after about a year, the #63 has lost some scent strength and now it's more to my taste.

As said above, this is an extremely hard soap and is very dry from the factory. Use a wet brush and don't be shy about loading heavy, the soap will perform well. I think most people that complain about the lather do not load enough soap. Some people complain about post-shave feel, I think triple-milled soaps don't have all the skin conditioning ingredients that many of the artisan soaps have. For me, post shave is fine, clean and non-greasy. If your skin is dry, that is what balms are for.

I have not tried the "Bergamot & Thyme" yet, but plan on trying the other Pre de Provence soaps when I get through some of the soaps I have already.
I've never had any trouble with the No 63 as far as lathering, and find it very easy to load and make a lather with any of my synthetic brushes, despite it being a quad milled hard soap. I also really like the post shave feel with this one.
The only soap out of the many I've tried, that gave me a problem is a recent purchase of MWF. I didn't think the MWF worth the trouble and tossed the puck in the bin. However, the nice MWF ceramic bowl is a perfect fit for my #63, so not a total loss. 😁

Top Bottom