What's new

Potential new converts

Gentlemen of B&B. I have 3 young airmen in my command. 1 and perhaps all 3 are keen to get onboard the DE train. My question is how do I go about turning them away from the dark side? I’m willing to lend out some of my kit for them to try. I’m thinking techs? I can just about squeeze to a brush each but I’m low on soaps. Can I have your thoughts please? Cheers :thumbup1:

I think what will sell them on the experience is the blade. If you turn your face into hamburger the first time, you won't go back. I started with personna blades in a SS blue tip using a wilkinson sword brush and williams mug soap. A cartridge does a better job than that setup. I say go with an Astra blade with TOBS Avacado.

Hmm, interesting that you think it's all about the blade for noobs. Thanks for offering that suggestion.I have a large stock of Walmart personas. I like them, do you think they will do the job? I have a selection of UK blades mostly generic "personas".

I may not have the experience of some of the ol' timers around here, but for me the blade made the difference. If I go back to Derby's for example, I cut my face every time. I can get only one good shave out of them. A good question is can a newbie recognize when the blade is dull? I use Feather, but I have experience with them. Now I can't use anything else and feel comfortable. Also, I'd get them on a good alcohol free lotion for after.

Derbs, yep there was a lot of love for these back in the day when I joined B&B :wink2: but I have had some bad shaves with them too. I'm going to go with the walmarts I think. Any thoughts on getting them palmolive cream to begin with?

I wouldn't give them Derbs as they kinda put me off in the beginning. Even though I wouldn't really recommend Feathers, have a few of them to try at the beginning really gave me motivation to improve my technique so I could use them, plus I REALLY appreciated how sharp they were.

Also, ask them what types of scents they like, you may be able to convert them letting them know the variety of soap scents out there to choose from (ie. Sandalwood, Limes, Coconut, Rose, Lavender, Almond, etc). Variety of scents really drew me into wet shaving.

And also, if you have a few dollars to spare, give them each a sample of a TOBS cream in their favourite scent (Eton College's old school vibe drew me into wet shaving). Here's a link to a store that sells them for $2.50.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Derbs, yep there was a lot of love for these back in the day when I joined B&B :wink2: but I have had some bad shaves with them too. I'm going to go with the walmarts I think. Any thoughts on getting them palmolive cream to begin with?

Palmolive cream (or the soap sticks) would be good. Great lather from both and you're not making a big outlay if you can't convert them! :thumbup:

And also, if you have a few dollars to spare, give them each a sample of a TOBS cream in their favourite scent (Eton College's old school vibe drew me into wet shaving).

I'm using the Eton College now. It's a great suggestion. It has a certain youthfulness about it.

Sounds like 1 maybe 3 wants a promotion.

I would give them a pack of personnas, loan them a razor and a sampler pack of soap

Last edited:
Sounds like 1 of 3 wants a promotion

:lol:

I'd say Palmolive wouldn't be a bad idea. Try getting a nice, decent soap/cream, inexpensive boar, but stick with single bladed disposables. Once they realize their faces won't be as irritated with one blade and good prep, then let them jump into the deep end of DE shaving. The lather and prep are much more important than what you use to shave, IMO. Single blades are just the final piece of the puzzle to me.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I think I'll let just one of them try out some gear first. He can find out just how good the sound/feel of a DE blade and then will gush about it to his fellow airmen and then he can loan the gear to them. I will then get them to join B&B and hopefully they may just luck in and catch some PIF's. All of them will be rotating through to Afghanistan in the coming year. I'll go eat and decide just what to loan them. I'll let you know what I settle on. :thumbup1:

Techs are definitely a good idea for beginners. I still enjoy using mine, though. I'd recommend the Palmolive soap sticks. They're cheap, and since it's a stick, it's easier to learn to use than a puck of soap. Regarding blades, I like the generic UK Personnas. I had a much better experience with those and IPs, than I did Derby blades, but some folks really like Derby. You could also give them 2 or 3 of each of whatever you have on hand. Create your own mini blade sampler.

-Andy

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I think I'll let just one of them try out some gear first. He can find out just how good the sound/feel of a DE blade and then will gush about it to his fellow airmen and then he can loan the gear to them. I will then get them to join B&B and hopefully they may just luck in and catch some PIF's. All of them will be rotating through to Afghanistan in the coming year. I'll go eat and decide just what to loan them. I'll let you know what I settle on. :thumbup1:

You know, if we could get at least 3 or 4 of us together, I wouldn't mind chipping in to help get a young patriot get set up (even if he is a flyboy! :001_cool:).

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You know, if we could get at least 3 or 4 of us together, I wouldn't mind chipping in to help get a young patriot get set up (even if he is a flyboy! :001_cool:).

I have a some stuff that's not getting any use that I would give away to a serviceman

:lol: nope none of us are fly boys! We are Airforce and the reason the RAF is a force not a flying club! We are weapon techs and as many of you know I spent a great deal of time on bomb disposal duties in the UK and overseas. :thumbup1:

I have a few things I'd be willing to donate and I'll also have a DE razor and brush to PIF once my new ones come in next week (hopefully).

You'll have to do formal introductions when they do decide to join the boards, seeing as we already have a bit of a background.

:lol: nope none of us are fly boys! We are Airforce and the reason the RAF is a force not a flying club! We are weapon techs and as many of you know I spent a great deal of time on bomb disposal duties in the UK and overseas. :thumbup1:

Just jibin' ya--- I don't have 8 arms/legs but have still been labeled a "squid" before... :laugh:

But any equivalent to EOD guys is good with me...

proxy.php

Top Bottom