What's new

Postal rates at Canada Post

I recently sold a Superspeed to another member through the bst and estimated the shipping fee to be $3. Unfortunately when I went to the post office it turned out to be $11-$12 for parcel! I refunded the money as the shipping cost would have been too cost prohibitive. The reason as I learned was because the thickness exceeded 2cm. I've sent many straight razors in bubble envelopes for $3 in Canada and $5 Conus and $6-$7 International. Naturally I was curious to know why they couldn't just charge a small increment rather than charge for a parcel.

Well I have a friend that works at Canada Post and I asked him why rates are the way they are. In case anyone is curious to know why sending a $20 Gillette Superspeed is so much more expensive than a $200 straight razor (without tracking), it's because of the thickness. The machines they use have a maximum thickness tolerance of 2 cm. Anything thicker will jam or damage the machines and thus need to be manually sorted. For this reason it costs more. I believe the new machines can read and sort over 1000 pieces of mail per minute. Manual sorting is probably 20-25 per minute. Of course weight also is important. The thresholds I keep in mind are 100 grams, 500 grams and 1 kg. 1 gram over and you are paying the next incremental shipping fee.

Furthermore he also commented that the central processing center in the US is San Francisco. There used to be one in Seattle but they closed it down. Anything being shipped from or to Conus needs to be cleared through San Fran. For that reason shipping times from/to central and eastern US may take longer due to the clearing times for each zone. The good news is shipping to and from San Fran should be nice and fast.

Another thing I learned is that Canada Post and USPS have a billing system with each other. Each company bills the other based on the weight of the handled mail. There is a discrepancy in that Canada Post charges the US more than USPS charges Canada. Also, he feels that USPS is not charging enough for their postage and this is one reason they could be in the red now.

Last edited:
You have to check Canada Post's packaging and rates carefully. I can send up to a 15" long x 15" wide x 5" deep box weighing up to 500 grams (1/2 lb.) to California from Toronto for $5.85 small packet surface or $7.46 small packet air. Air can get there faster but it's still at least 5 working days due to customs.
No delivery confirmation and a $100. insurance limit, though. You would have to use expedited parcel for delivery confirmation and insurance up to $1,000.

Last edited:
You have to check Canada Post's packaging and rates carefully. I can send up to a 15" long x 15" wide x 5" deep box weighing up to 500 grams (1/2 lb.) to California from Toronto for $5.85 small packet surface or $7.46 small packet air. Air can get there faster but it's still at least 5 working days due to customs.
No delivery confirmation and a $100. insurance limit, though. You would have to use expedited parcel for delivery confirmation and insurance up to $1,000.

Yes I'm aware of those prices. The interesting thing is that if you want to send something small like a Gillette TTO razor in Canada it's going to cost $11! However it' sonly $5.85 as you mentioned to the US.

I see I'm not the only one who has a problem with Canada Post.
I just shipped out 4 parcels this week.
Using Paypal to ship the parcels each one was about $10 and came with a tracking number. If I went to SDM to ship it would have been $15 each.
I don't have a problem with their actual shipping, everything seems to get there OK, but it costs a fortune to do it.

Of the four packages, 3 went to the USA and one went to Taiwan.
The one to Taiwan cost the same as one to the USA. Here's the best part, as mentioned by others it costs more to send that same package in Canada.

If Paypal will let you print a shipping label, that's the way to go.

This is what I've found too. Now if I send anything in Canada I usually charge at $10 shipping as that will cover most shipping costs I found. Might be a little more to ship it way out east but only a couple bucks. I had someone send me a razor from Medicine Hat to Calgary and it cost the person almost $9. Completely ridiculous. Usually my shipping costs to the US are $5-$7

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I just shipped a few things over the last few weeks from the BST and a PIF. Weights are from the Canada Post receipts and everything is shipped from the Toronto area.

1. Brush (0.096kg) ................... $8.35 shipped to Alaska
2. Cased razor (0.231kg) ........... $7.46 shipped to Texas
3. PIF'd box'o'stuff (0.588kg) .... $12.41 shipped to California
.....and the killer....
4. razor (0.103kg) ....................$16.43 shipped to BC :angry:

As mentioned by Terry in the OP, the folks at the Post Office said that there is a shipping deal with the USPS for small packages but he couldn't explain how a similar sized product (size and weight) should cost twice as much to ship to BC as to Alaska. It seems to me to be something very similar to our airline fares. It's often cheaper to fly to England than to fly within Canada. :sneaky2:.

If I sell anything on the BST again, I'll have to put CONUS prices, with Canada +$5.
Something's rotten in the state of DenmarkCanada.

PS. Sorry to dredge up a 6 month old thread.

I just shipped a few things over the last few weeks from the BST and a PIF. Weights are from the Canada Post receipts and everything is shipped from the Toronto area.

1. Brush (0.096kg) ................... $8.35 shipped to Alaska
2. Cased razor (0.231kg) ........... $7.46 shipped to Texas
3. PIF'd box'o'stuff (0.588kg) .... $12.41 shipped to California
.....and the killer....
4. razor (0.103kg) ....................$16.43 shipped to BC :angry:

As mentioned by Terry in the OP, the folks at the Post Office said that there is a shipping deal with the USPS for small packages but he couldn't explain how a similar sized product (size and weight) should cost twice as much to ship to BC as to Alaska. It seems to me to be something very similar to our airline fares. It's often cheaper to fly to England than to fly within Canada. :sneaky2:.

If I sell anything on the BST again, I'll have to put CONUS prices, with Canada +$5.
Something's rotten in the state of DenmarkCanada.

PS. Sorry to dredge up a 6 month old thread.

Welcome to the world of my struggles with Canada Post. 500 grams by air to Alaska, $9.90; cheaper than 500 grams to Calgary by truck!

Canada post is run by $#@! idiots that know nothing about business. I never ship from BC, take my parcels down to WA once a week and ship from there, the irony it costs less to ship from the US to Canada then Canada to Canada ... go figure that one out. Not to mention the huge delay in delivery, that is another story !!!

Top Bottom