What's new

Post a photo of you having a smoke...

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Enjoying a little FMOTT in my calabash on the back deck.

$calabash1.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I am a confirmed English blend lover, and I am experimenting with different tobaccos to find what I like. The FMOTT in a moment.

I assembled an array of English blends from mild through Balkans (that's not a category in itself, is it? it's the far end of what we refer to as English blends? I'm not really sure) and they are:

1. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
  2. Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow
  3. Dunhill My Mixture 965
  4. Frog Morton on the Town
  5. Hearth & Home Larry's blend
  6. Dunhill Nightcap

I think that is in rough order of increasing strength. The only one I have not tried is the Nightcap. I suspect I will keep on hand and regularly replenish about 3 of these, maybe 4 depending on how I feel about the Nightcap vs the Larry's Blend, there has to be a meaningful difference.

In the light category, I suspect I'll be replenishing the Std Mix Mellow, and not the Early Morning.

In the medium category, I suspect I'll be keeping the FMOTT over the MyMix 965. There is my FMOTT response. It is very, very nice. I'm not good at detailed descriptions, but it is really nice stuff. Maybe the My Mix is better compared to the Larry's Blend, I don't know, but I like the strength, the smoothness, the sweetness of it a little more than the 965. I highly recommend it as a medium-bodied slightly sweet example of the English blend at its best.

Larry's Blend is sublime, by the way. It is already assured a place in my lineup.

Well, I am a confirmed English blend lover, and I am experimenting with different tobaccos to find what I like. The FMOTT in a moment.

I assembled an array of English blends from mild through Balkans (that's not a category in itself, is it? it's the far end of what we refer to as English blends? I'm not really sure) and they are:

1. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
  2. Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow
  3. Dunhill My Mixture 965
  4. Frog Morton on the Town
  5. Hearth & Home Larry's blend
  6. Dunhill Nightcap

I think that is in rough order of increasing strength. The only one I have not tried is the Nightcap. I suspect I will keep on hand and regularly replenish about 3 of these, maybe 4 depending on how I feel about the Nightcap vs the Larry's Blend, there has to be a meaningful difference.

In the light category, I suspect I'll be replenishing the Std Mix Mellow, and not the Early Morning.

In the medium category, I suspect I'll be keeping the FMOTT over the MyMix 965. There is my FMOTT response. It is very, very nice. I'm not good at detailed descriptions, but it is really nice stuff. Maybe the My Mix is better compared to the Larry's Blend, I don't know, but I like the strength, the smoothness, the sweetness of it a little more than the 965. I highly recommend it as a medium-bodied slightly sweet example of the English blend at its best.

Larry's Blend is sublime, by the way. It is already assured a place in my lineup.
I would call Larry's Blend and Nightcap pretty different, the Nightcap is stronger and Fuller IMO, both are great blends, I wasn't impressed with EMP either, a lot of people love it though.
Here's a link to a wealth of info about different tobaccos: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos#Faux_Pipe_Tobaccos_.28a_relative_term.29

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nice link, thank you! Yes, I've pretty much decided EMP is good to blend with aromatics to lend a bit of interest to a social blend. I've mixed it with Capt Black for my son, for example, and he likes that.

I also suspected (having had Nightcap some 25 years ago) that it would be stronger than Larry's. While the 965 is good, IMO, the Larry's is sublime, I think my 'spread' will include the Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow, the Larry's and the Nightcap as my regular stocked tobaccos. I may keep some Penzance around or other blend as a treat or experiment, but I'm fairly settled on those three -- for now anyway :001_tt2:

Nice link, thanks!

Nightcap was one of my first favorite English blends, but it was the old blend - though I've friends who swear by the new Nightcap. MUCH fuller than the EMP. sort of like comparing a Cuban El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme (perfect breakfast cigar) vs say a Ramon Allones (one of the stronger cuban cigars brands)

and Balkans tend to have different more flavorful orientals in them than typical English mixtures - though the term was used to refer to anything resembling the renowned Sobranie blends. Though, now, it's become as much of a marketing term than anything else. it's safe to say that they generally tend to be more robust and fuller than typical english blends .

great for lovers of not only latakia but the myriad of oriental varietals available.

hope that helps!!

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$Img_0540.jpg

Welcoming the sunrise from the stern of my ship in the Persian Gulf, with an Ed Hardy hookah bought at a Dubai duty-free, loaded with Layalina Blue Mist.

Enjoying a Bowl of Sutliff Private Stock Blend No. 5 in a Dr. Grabow Omega.
$DSCN0778.jpg
I love this blend, it is a wonderful English blend with a solid cavebdish backbone that I find very pleasing and relaxing. I was on the phone with my fiance in the Philippines and my twin brother took a few puffs of the blend to keep it lit. It went out on me while I was singing to my fiance on the phone and my twin brother re-lit it for me. When I was done on the phone he gave my pipe back to me ans said "So you like this stuff? It tastes like your smoking rose petals and cheap soap in the pipe!" ROLFMYAO!!

What can I say, it's not for everybody :001_rolle, I really love the blend myself :sailor:

Here I am smoking out front of a buddies house. Not sure what I was smoking in this one, been a while since I took this pic.

proxy.php

Here is one of me smoking an Oliva Serie V Lancero at one of our in-store cigar events.

proxy.php

Top Bottom